Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I got back to the woods that I hunted last week. That hunt resulted in 7 wheats and a Mercury Dime. Not a single clad coin.
Yesterday I was getting nothing but Clad and getting a little concerned. I was using the E-Trac again. I was getting a little confused because a friend I was hunting with, was getting a fistful of wheats, along with a Mercury Dime and an Indian Head Penny.
Then suddenly, I got a nice deep signal that could be a silver quarter. I was thinking silver, because of the depth. I got down around 8 inches and out pops a dirt encrusted coin. I check it and figured out that the coin was actually a Large Cent.

When I got it home, I was barely able to make out the date. (1844) One coin can make the whole hunt.
I cleaned it with a toothpick but decided because of it's borderline toasted condition, this was a perfect coin to try an experimental approach.
I soaked it in Olive Oil and picked at it with a toothpick. Then a few lemon juice soaks and rinses. Finally, a little Naval Jelly, and a good rinse.
I coated it with a light application of a petroleum based product to stop all acidic reactions. It now seems to have a little better detail.

IMG_5579.JPG IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5582.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG IMG_5583.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 39

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are so right ATW, One coin can turn a so-so hunt into a great day. Congrats on that sweet LC. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread