One in a thousand pits! Maybe one in a million pits! We still cant believe it!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
One in a thousand pits! Maybe one in a million pits! We still can't believe it!

Well folks we were at it again doing some privy digging back at the site where we found the double eagle flask( my Avatar). This privy is in sight of that pit we did. A different home altogether though. We had already dug two pits as we started out bright and early at 9:00 am. That's early for us since we dig all day long it seams:tongue3: So not much action in the first two pits. Just some common stuff, blank medicines and some perfumery type bottles. Nothing to faint about, that comes later:laughing7:

So Don figured he had probed this pit a few days earlier and it just kept calling him back. We know that we are dogging every possible pit, trash or privy in this location though. So we decided to give it a go. It felt really crunchy like gravel or cinders in the pit. Sure enough the first 3 feet or so was filled with cinders, maybe from an early furnace or stove. So we figured anything in the pit would be obliterated!:BangHead: So we kept probing as we went down. Poke here, poke there, poke everywhere just to reassure us that we should keep digging. I was within a minute or two of just giving in and calling it on this one when I thought to myself, let's just finish it since we are all the way down here. So we kept at it and finally the cinders stopped and we saw a bit more regular ash and some dirt mixed in.

I was concentrating on a corner area that felt really soft and relatively cinder free. It was then when I saw the bottom of a bottle that at first glance appeared to be intact. And I thought for sure it was Hood's Sarsaparilla. Pretty common bottle but at least it's something. It had the indented panel that looked like it at first. It was time to get the hand rake and be a bit more careful. So I slowly scraped away a huge conglomerate of rust and debris that was right on top of it. That's when I saw the whole thing move. Do and I said the same thing, and that was " It moved to easy, it's broke." So I kept at it and saw that the base had several sides, more than a sarsaparilla bottle. And it was huge!!:headbang: Then I thought to myself it's a Apothecary bottle from a store. Still jazzed up about that even, I pulled on the base and it broke loose from it's Earthly confines!

"Holy *#@*, it's a Cathedral Pickle and it's a gallon size." :hello2: Unbelievable as I pulled it out I quickly scanned the entire bottle for probe holes, cracks, chips or whatever would give us a huge letdown. Nothing, nothing at all but a crisp beautiful huge cathedral. Wow...I don't know about you all, but I am sure I am right by saying these don't pop up out of privies very often. Maybe One in Thousand pits, Maybe a Million Pits! Who knows....I have never even seen a piece of one let alone the entire bottle intact! Needless to say Don and I were giggling like school kids for several minutes. It's those times as a pit digger, as I am sure other pit diggers would agree, that when you find something that makes you shake uncontrollably for minutes on end then you found something great. Historical and just flat out cool! It will go down as one of our best finds for sure. It sure was nice to dig this behemoth and get it out whole.

As Mel Fisher would say, Today's the Day! It sure was for us:thumbsup: Hope you enjoy the pictures as Don was snapping them as fast as he could. Thanks for looking and remember to always be safe out the while treasure hunting! :icon_thumleft: jgas

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 247
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 219
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 226
  • C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 242
  • C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 221
  • C6.jpg
    C6.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 219
  • C7.jpg
    C7.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 235
  • C8.jpg
    C8.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 226
  • C9.jpg
    C9.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 233
  • C10.jpg
    C10.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN3372.JPG
    DSCN3372.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 8

FamilyFun2010

Apr 16, 2010
Morehead, Ky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites TRX pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about bottle collecting, but that looks really cool. Great piece of history saved for others to enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I want to go buy a shovel and start knocking doors evertime I read one of your awesome posts... You guys are awesome, congrats on the coolest find ever. You guys are what makes this site what it is, it is so nice of you to share.

Chris.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for all the fantastic replies. I still freak out even looking at the size of that thing. It sure was another fun find. Hope to get out soon and get another chunk of history out of the ground! Thanks again everyone!! Jgas

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what an awesome find. congrats!

okerraine

Mar 24, 2009
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Teknetics T2 Minelab equinox 800 CTX Firty Firty
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that's a pickle, I can't believe it came out in one piece! Congrats on a killer pit!

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another nice find by you guys!!! Congrats!!! Dont let Vibes know, she will be in there fighting you for those bottles. TMAN...
LOL!!!
You got that right Tman

That Traveling Tiara toting Piratress thinks all the dirt here in Michiana is rightfully hers.

Nice find Jgas and it looks like you beat the heat early in the week:thumbsup:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome...what a beauty!! I know you're thrilled, just looking @ those big smiles of yours tells the whole story.

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super Find ! Whats something like that worth? i found an old dump pile from the 1870's and dont want to waste the time diggin it if it aint worth it.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Its worth way more that just the cash value to us that's for sure. One on Feebay right now going for a couple hundred. Might get her polished up for a nice show piece. Or just keep it old looking the way it is. Not sure. We may never get another one but it won't be for the lack of trying. Thanks for the replies all, The heat is on! Jgas

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My GOD! Can you say "HOLY GRAIL??" a BIG CONGRATULATIONS Guys!!! That is an amazing cathedral, it is a fantastic day when you dig a regular sized cathedral, let alone the grand-daddy of all! A banner find without question! :occasion14:

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Wow, I dont know what it is, but I do know that to fins something made of glass that big and old, unbroken ANYWHERE is amazing.

I reckon it must have been used as a pee bottle and tossed into liquid or semi liquid. Cant think of another reason to discard such a large and useful vessel.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Good point Mickk, could have been a kid and it slipped out of his hands. Who knows, I just wonder who touched it 130+ years ago. Crazy to think about it but thats kinda why we dig. Just the history behind these types of finds is awesome to think and day dream about! Thanks for the replies everyone. Thanks for the Banner Nod too Sentenel! jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread