Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think you can blame the form of communication for what is said. I've had people send me inappropriate things on Facebook, I laugh at it and show my wife. I think that blaming facebook for divorce is like blaming the phone company for the telemarketers who call. The content of the message is not the fault of the messenger.

Dejapooh,you've got a really valid point here.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
[h=1]Facebook Pulls Pages Linked to "Man/Boy Love Association"[/h]

• [*=left]6 Comments
    /
    [*=left]145 Shares/
    [*=left]18 Tweets/
    [*=left]Stumble/
    [*=left]Email
    [*=left]More +

Facebook has pulled down a handful of user pages linked to a pro-pedophilia advocacy group. The move followed a news report claiming to have turned up "hundreds of links" to the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) on the social networking site.
fb.jpg

Although Facebook prohibits posting of content advocating child exploitation, the report on Foxnews.com said that a search it conducted on Sept. 23, found "dozens of pages" devoted to NAMBLA. "Many of those pages featured numerous photos of unnamed boys, some of whom appeared to be too young for kindergarten," according to the article.
But Facebook didn't find the dispatch particularly fair or balanced. Hemanshu Nigam, co-chairman of President Obama's Online Safety Technology Working Group and a member of the board of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, provided the money quote for the article: "This is just the downright filthiest of society setting up on Facebook in a public way, and the question is, 'Why is Facebook allowing this?'" he said.
Nigam used to work as chief security officer for MySpace, Facebook's biggest competitor, a fact the article does mention.
Facebook also maintains that the extent of the problem was more modest than suggested by the the headline blaring an "exclusive" about pedophiles finding a home on the service. Foxnews.com provided links to four groups, none of which had more than 15 to 25 members each, according to Facebook. A spokesman said the company immediately disabled the links as well as the accounts of the people who were behind them.
But this is part of a broader challenge presented to social networking sites, which find themselves in something of a game of cat-and-mouse with unsavory groups or sexual predators intent on setting up shop in cyberspace. On Facebook, for instance, the company has implemented automated systems to work behind the scenes surface behavior that's problematic. It also relies on user feedback to flag to abuses.
"I will say that Facebook is very aggressive about booting sex offenders off their site," offered Steve Rambam, director of the investigative agency Pallorium.
Still, it can't guarantee a 100% hermetically effective shield.
"This is something we need to be prepared for - content put up again after we have it taken down," said a spokesman for Facebook. "It's a constant effort."
The same applies to MySpace, which has been challenged by politicians to better scour sexual predators from its site. In 2007 the service removed 29,000 sex offenders from the membership rolls. More recently, it secured a deal a group of state attorneys general to work more closely with law enforcement agencies and come up with technology to identify a user's age and identity.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am proud to say I have nothing to do with facebook and never will.. If this website is really causing divorces and part of things that none of us should want to deal with.. You have to wonder why people even choose to be a part of it.. Just does'nt make sense to me..

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dang Diesel,that is scary. I know if my sons were still living at home and under 18 they would not be allowed to have a FB account. Temptations are out there but why throw them at your kids? It's easy to say that you are watching your kids Internet activities but its just too easy for creeps these days.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am proud to say I have nothing to do with facebook and never will.. If this website is really causing divorces and part of things that none of us should want to deal with.. You have to wonder why people even choose to be a part of it.. Just does'nt make sense to me..
I think it has a lot to do with people trying to feel important, so they post every detail of their lives on Facebook. Sad...

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dang Diesel,that is scary. I know if my sons were still living at home and under 18 they would not be allowed to have a FB account. Temptations are out there but why throw them at your kids? It's easy to say that you are watching your kids Internet activities but its just too easy for creeps these days.
It's been said that one of Facebook's higher ups/ founders fully supports this sick organization. Not sure if it is true though, I think I have heard Hannity speak of it??? Maybe somewhere else though. I just can't see any good coming out of being on Facebook. A whole lot of bad can come of it though...

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has a lot to do with people trying to feel important, so they post every detail of their lives on Facebook. Sad...
I think you right... But I find it hard to believe that thier lives are interesting enough to document.. As for thier association with the man/boy love association if that's true I would say the real threat to this country is not firearms but how readily technology makes life dangerous for everyone.. Just my opinion..

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here are some advantages of not using Facebook:
1 – Don’t Have To Worry About Privacy
The first benefit is that you won’t have to worry about privacy concerns. Many people aren’t aware of some of the strange terms of service changes that Facebook has made in the last year or so. Some of these have been changed back because users didn’t like them, but your photos and personal information could potentially be compromised using this system.

2 – Facebook is a Waste of Time
Many get sucked into Facebook and it ends up being a waste of time. Without having an account, you don’t have to worry about this becoming a problem at all and literally can save hell of time to spend with your family and friends.

3 – Control Over Types of Conversation
Without Facebook you can have control over the types of conversations that you want to have with people. Some people just don’t like talking through a computer. You might not be able to type well or might enjoy the phone or talking in person much better.

4 – Avoid Higher Risk of Effecting Your Computer From Malware and Scams
Some people click links in Facebook that lead to malware problems or scams. Without using an account, you won’t have to worry about getting these types of problems through that site. Well you can get malwares and trojans by visiting some sites and through emails but the risk is much higher when you use facebook and other social networking sites.

5 – Reliable Communication
Communication on Facebook is not as reliable as you would like. Some people are on it every day meaning you will reach them but some don’t sign on too often. Using your phone to call or text is a bit more reliable.

6 – Can Keep Things to Yourself
Without having a Facebook account, you can keep more things to yourself. You might not want others to know everything about your life all the time.

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I think you right... But I find it hard to believe that thier lives are interesting enough to document.. As for thier association with the man/boy love association if that's true I would say the real threat to this country is not firearms but how readily technology makes life dangerous for everyone.. Just my opinion..
Their lives are only interesting to them, law enforcement and criminals. There are a lot of drama queens out there that thrive off drama on Facebook...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just don't see how FB can have the resources to keep on top of all the fake profiles that people use.You can login from virtually anywhere so IP addresses are virtually untraceable IMHO . It's a scary world we live in,I would hate to be raising kids nowadays because there is just so much out there and accessible .

OP
OP
dieselram94

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just don't see how FB can have the resources to keep on top of all the fake profiles that people use.You can login from virtually anywhere so IP addresses are virtually untraceable IMHO . It's a scary world we live in,I would hate to be raising kids nowadays because there is just so much out there and accessible .
I know, my eight year old son is becoming very proficient with the computer and it scares my deeply. I am going to look into some sort of protective firewall to keep him safe online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread