Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I came across this amazing find metal detecting. I was detecting an island on the Hudson River that Native Americans used to inhabit. There are flakes everywhere and you can find a point now and then. In the late 1800's their was an ice house on this location and later a park. It's been a great place to metal detect. I've found many first finds at this spot such as seated, barber's, 2 cent's and many many Indian head pennies. I've always looked for arrowheads there but it's really been picked over. I was detecting and got a nice signal, 76VDI, about 6 Inches deep. That's what all the IHP were coming up as. So, I thought great another Indian but it wasn't. It turned out to be a .22 casing. I checked the dirt again, moved it around with my coil and this ring appeared. However, I wasn't getting any tone on the detector. I picked it up and could see it was obviously worked. To me, it was better than finding most anything because, I know I may never come across another artifact quite like this one! At the end it's squared off and round than about mid way it starts to bevel and angle up to a point that is still pretty sharp. I not sure what it's made out of. I don't think it's bone. Given, the history of the Island I'm certain it's Native American!

I also posted a couple of the nicer points found on said location.

Attachments

• image-3200652841.jpg
    image-3200652841.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 527
  • image-3697801721.jpg
    image-3697801721.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 142
  • image-3720352585.jpg
    image-3720352585.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 153
  • image-3839117171.jpg
    image-3839117171.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 156
  • image-2581644450.jpg
    image-2581644450.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dutchtoga

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen rodent teeth and claws and jaw bones of teeth of all sort of mammals not a one that is dark in color as this circular ring. It does look a lot like it could be from a small rodent. I'm just not sold on it I'd like to see some other examples. Either way it's different kind a find. Arrowheads I can go pick them up like strawberries.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dutchtoga (Duchess Co. Saratoga?) Check out this article. It's not too long a read, but once it gets down to he artifacts found and listed in the burials (although I know burials are not the #1 topic here), you'll find quite a number of mammal bones- bird and rodent bones. No, there's aren't any pictures, no photographs. Still, the rodent tooth theory isn't too far off, as far as trying to ID your piece. No, I don't have either 50 years of experience nor a degree. I make it a point to read (slog through) long, complicated, academic papers written on topics of interest. I try to never rely on Wiki(anything) or material written for the general public/artifact hunters. I try very hard to dig deep to glean appropriate info. So here you go- (and I really do look forward to hearing what you find out from your search for the 'truth' about this piece). The Materialization of Status and Social Structure at the Koger?s Island Cemetery, Alabama | Jon Marcoux - Academia.edu

Happy Hunting! (and may all our 'dreams' become teachable realities!) Yakker

OP
OP
dutchtoga

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800