One last meaningful find

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I knew that yesterday was my last chance at detecting for a while.
No time to travel to a known site, no time for research, and no pressure to even find anything.
A gorgeous day for a walk in my back yard. I'm the fourth generation of my family to live in the community I live in; my grand father was born just a couple of minutes walk down the road in 1916. The old family farm is all grown up and wooded now, only a path through the trees to the cellar hole remains now.
I tried detecting there yesterday for the first time ever. I had a feeling I might something my ancestors may have owned and dropped many years ago.
On the path I found a medallion given out school children in 1927 commemorating the sixtieth anniversary of Canada's confederation. Now my grand father left school in grade three to help farm his parents land ( my great grand father had very poor health)

I can only imagine that his last days at school he recieved this medallion before his farming career began and it was lost in the fields he worked as a young man of nine years old!

How ever it got there I like the romantic story of a child farmer loosing his last connection to education .

My best find this year? Could be!

Attachments

• 1451236064214.jpg
    1451236064214.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 108
  • 1451236084452.jpg
    1451236084452.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 12
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I should add, my grand father attended school sporadically over next couple of years to attain his third grade diploma!
Yeah I know there's no such thing

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A special find....

Glad that more than a few of us noreasters got out for the "last chance" dig. It was very nice here too.

I got a larger crotal bell from where my father grew up (well till he was 11, and went to work) The bell may have belonged to his grandfather, so is my favorite. It does not reside with the others.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should add, my grand father attended school sporadically over next couple of years to attain his third grade diploma!
Yeah I know there's no such thing

Did he graduate highest in his class ? (bit of a joke if you get it, and no disrespect intended)

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Did he graduate highest in his class ? (bit of a joke if you get it, and no disrespect intended)

That I can't tell you, all I know is that his skills in the reading and writing were questionable at best; my grand mother told as a child that he was further self educated by collecting old newspapers and learned to spell read beyond his formal studies.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find and one that deserves a little attention in a display, not often are we able to get something that was once owned by a family member. It just seemed the way back then a child had to help with the farm or go to work to help make ends meet. My own father left at the of age 12 to go work in the lumber camps, when asked about the camps he'd just say it was no place for a 12 yr old and it was a very rough time.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Very cool find and one that deserves a little attention in a display, not often are we able to get something that was once owned by a family member. It just seemed the way back then a child had to help with the farm or go to work to help make ends meet. My own father left at the of age 12 to go work in the lumber camps, when asked about the camps he'd just say it was no place for a 12 yr old and it was a very rough time.

A perfect example of how tough things were way back when!
Those stories of the really old timers of how hard things were in Depression era rural Anytown......
Walking uphill both ways in bare feet in snow drifts all year....etc

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find.
It's very possible that it once belonged to a family member.
For me,, the third grade was the best 4 years of my life.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our finds are usually a whole lot older, at least when we feel when we're doing well.... but 1927 sure ain't yesterday, especially when you are given some context with a find that might have a personal connection. As time goes on I have more appreciation for late 19th century/20th century finds, and would gladly dig more of them if most of the sites didn't have so much trash!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Very cool find.
It's very possible that it once belonged to a family member.
For me,, the third grade was the best 4 years of my life.

It was the summer after third grade my grampie passed away; I am glad to have part of my own life in the past

I'm sure it came in handy for you being able to drive to school at that time! lol

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Our finds are usually a whole lot older, at least when we feel when we're doing well.... but 1927 sure ain't yesterday, especially when you are given some context with a find that might have a personal connection. As time goes on I have more appreciation for late 19th century/20th century finds, and would gladly dig more of them if most of the sites didn't have so much trash!

A sign of the times, recycling was using your bicycle twice in the same day!
Few of our losses will be found in the decades to follow, everything today is made of plastic and coins will have rotted to nothing ...

I have no problem appreciating this find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread