One last vote of confidence for carry on in airlines

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White Beach Hunter ID 300, minelab Excalibur II
So , next week I leave for the carribean. I am taking my Excalibur 2 with me. I plan to carry on the electronics (coil is permanently attached) and pack all the rods/scoops in checked luggage. The electronics of an excal to the those not familiar looks like an explosive device. Do you think I will have issues with the TSA? I really don't want to have to go back to check in to have them recall my checked bag to put it in there. First time I am ever flying with a detector, so a bit nervous.

Thanks everyone

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found a zillion threads - here are a few...

However - if it was me I would call the airlines before packing up that puppy!:laughing7:

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
I saw those threads, but they are pretty old...was hoping for some more updated ones...i called but can't get a straight answer....tsa won't say a word....frustrating

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
OK, I managed to actually speak to a TSA agent on the phone. There are no restrictions as far as carrying a metal detector in your carry on (as long as it fits inside). However...and this is a big one...it is up to the discretion of the TSA agent whether or not to let it on...and that goes for anything. So if the TSA agent who is screening feels that it might interfere with the flight or be cause for alarm, they may ask you to check it instead of carrying it on. This is true of any item. They truly can just say "check it" if they feel like it might be an issue regardless if it is permitted on carry on.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many people have told you of their successful trips taking their detector with them? I haven't been to the Caribbean but have read about many on here who have, just check out the beach and shallow water hunting forum on this site. If not leave it home and wish you would have taken it. Good luck!

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
How many people have told you of their successful trips taking their detector with them? I haven't been to the Caribbean but have read about many on here who have, just check out the beach and shallow water hunting forum on this site. If not leave it home and wish you would have taken it. Good luck!

Definitely not going to leave it home...just trying to avoid a hassle with the tsa. They seem to often make decisions on how they feel that day...if they had a real policy in place it would be helpful

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traveled from JFK to Tampa, 2 years ago for the Christmas / New Years holidays. I took my Excalibur with me. It was packed into a crush proof suitcase. TSA checked it and tagged the suitcase. They also checked it on the return flight. I didn't think to try it as a carry on. I do have a friend who traveled to England in October. His "carry on" was his DEUS. No problems both ways.
Another suggestion, providing you have enough time before your travel dates is to mail it to your destination, if possible. Then mail it back home. I have family as well as friends who live in Florida who have no problem with me mailing them my detector.

OP
OP
banjonyc

banjonyc

Sep 13, 2012
Brooklyn NY
Detector(s) used
I traveled from JFK to Tampa, 2 years ago for the Christmas / New Years holidays. I took my Excalibur with me. It was packed into a crush proof suitcase. TSA checked it and tagged the suitcase. They also checked it on the return flight. I didn't think to try it as a carry on. I do have a friend who traveled to England in October. His "carry on" was his DEUS. No problems both ways.
Another suggestion, providing you have enough time before your travel dates is to mail it to your destination, if possible. Then mail it back home. I have family as well as friends who live in Florida who have no problem with me mailing them my detector.

Well, headed out of country for first flight..so mailing not an option. Was thinking of totally checking it too...i.e letting them know and watch them check it..than put that band around it so it doesn't have to be opened again...all options for me

AngiePA

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banjonyc! How did it go with the TSA? Did it end up being a carry on or did they make you check it? I feel like the rules are changing daily and I don't want to chance losing our Excaliber, or damaging it. We do not have a case, so we were just going to carefully disassemble it and put it in a carry on, minus the shovels for our trip to florida.

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banjonyc, I went to Riviera Maya Mexico last summer with my metal detector in tow. I put my electronics in my carry on luggage and my shaft in the checked in luggage. I had a note printed out in English and Spanish saying that the equipment was for my hobby of metal detecting. No one in customs either in the USA or Mexico batted an eye when the luggage was scanned. I hope to go back again this year doing the same thing with my AT Pro.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To take the unknown scenario out of the equation, (meaning the TSA wants you to check it at the last minute), I'd recommend you check it in some type of bullet proof box and keep your fingers crossed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread