One Little Indian...

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, ding ding ding ding, in four years of detecting off and on, this is my very first Indian Head Penny. Go me! Now if only I hadn't hit it with the digger...
P6040004.JPG P6040005.JPG

Harvested from an 1885-era home site that is simply loaded with trash iron. Last weekend produced a 1920 wheat back penny as well, just a few feet from this one. There's silver there I can smell it! Brutal today, an 80/80 day by 11 AM and rain all afternoon. (80/80 = 80 degrees and 80 humidity). Muddy, sloppy conditions on this site it just keeps raining here every three to four days. Then the sun comes out and...ugh. :tongue3::tongue3:
And the obligatory trash photo...I ditched most of the actual canslaw and random junk before the photo.
P6040003.JPG

Upvote 12

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Unfortunately, the iron usually comes with the older relics....dig all tones above iron and leave smiling

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on being welcomed into the tribe. Love those Indian Head Pennies. Coolest design EVER! There should be more in that area and I hope weather permitting you get them, and the period correct silver to boot.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Great first indian, nice feeling to find any first.
As far as dinging it don't worry, could have been worse.
To make you feel better let's compare your first to mine.
Mine was folded, dinged, cut, crusty and wrecked.
Had to use a hammer on it just to get it flat and scrubbed the heck out of it to look this good.
Still couldn't have been happier I found it but yours is just beautiful compared to mine.
More to come...head for the 1880's or earlier on the next one.

Attachments

• indian 1 (1) (1).jpg
    indian 1 (1) (1).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Indian Head....:thumbsup:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the awesome IH, yep, the iron trash an other trash is thick in these parts. kind of overwhelming at most of the old sites. I am amazed at how much metal trash is in these country house sites. oh yeah, did I mention the poison oak, chiggers, ticks, mosquitoes and snakes? hope you have at least a semi rock free and root free place to actually dig in LOL.

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Indian! Where there is one, usually more are hiding close by. My first Indian was an 1896 also. I never get tired of digging IH cents....

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huge congratulations to you ! Are you sure you dinged it ? That long red bit on the obverse looks like the other rusty areas to me .( still looking for my first IH 11 years into this ! )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread