txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, be careful what you wish for. I have been wishing for the waves to calm down so I could get out deeper. Well I got my wish, the conditions were nice, we actually had guts form in between the sandbars, and you could get out to them. I have been waiting for this day, because I know that's where all the heavy gold gets deposited. I make it to the gut its shoulder deep, I found out real quickly I was in for a huge challenge. How to scoop when you can't put weight on the scoop and your body floats up everytime you try. Oh I was finding signals, just couldn't get to them. So here I am complating my dilemma when a fish pops next to me, startled I look just in time for fill something slam into me. I jump, look down and see a second shark hit me, then a third coming. From the first jump I already had my scoop pulled in(like the tom and jerry cartoons when someone cowers up afraid of the mouse) so I popped the 3rd sucker when it swam at me, and realized the other two had came back around me, and hitting the 3rd shark scared the other two off. Okay we aren't talking jaws here, they were only 2-3ft but in shoulder deep water, all I could think was there might be a mama somewhere. I got the heck out of there and went back to the shoreline to check my pants and catch my breath. I have been out, and seen small sharks before, but the are skidish and take off. These bumped me, and considering the mullet were jumping like popcorn, i guess it was feeding time, and they didn't like me being there. That's OK, I was glad to give them their way. I stayed in waist deep the rest of the day. Anyone else run into sharks out there?

I am going to post a pic of all the trash I dug in my quest for gold which I did not find Saturday even as hard as I tried. :dontknow:
I did find 3 rings, one stainless, one silver, one junk, a silver earring, and a silver dog tag that had S.C. on oneside, and you fill my life with happiness and joy on the other side. I found a couple tokens, and a couple mexico coins(pretty common to find here) I did find another foreign coin, not russian this time but from Bangladesh its called a one taka. I also got a ton of clad as you can see.

Attachments

• JEWELRY 122.jpg
    JEWELRY 122.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 452
  • JEWELRY 123.jpg
    JEWELRY 123.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 447
  • JEWELRY 124.jpg
    JEWELRY 124.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 451
  • JEWELRY 126.jpg
    JEWELRY 126.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 455
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most sharks do not like the taste of humans thankfully -- your lucky seems the mullet were using you as a "blocker" between them and the sharks --your very lucky you didn't get bit in error as the sharks tried to close in on the mullet -- bull sharks often feed shallow in those shallow funnel type feeding cuts and are very mean and nasty critters to bump into .

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
LOL, glad you are OK. Looks like you still got a few keepers though. Now the next time you go fishing you will know how the bait feels :o LOL. Thanks for the post and a good chuckle,

HH Charlie

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't see that size able to do much damage, perhaps they could bite a little, but I figured it was feeding time and where there were small ones, there could be large ones, and I really rather not make the local news. It was a nice reminder, to always be alert when you are out there. I think these sharks are called bull sharks, and they do tend to bump you, I guess thats there way of figuring out what you are and your size.

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
HOWDY, glad you made it outa there, without a bite. Have seen them darting around between the bars, but I never got bumped! I'm SURE that was very un-nerving! You did good on the finds though. Don't let that stop you from returning either, you probably won't see those guys again. Don't be skeered Tkg, The Lord is with you "in the valley of the shadow"! For a treasure hunter, that is the guts, between the bars, savvy?

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris, brought an old treasure magazine to our club meeting the other night, you know the ones that show the first funny looking detectors. Any way there was a cartoon that showed 2 guys in a boat geared up, with a mess of sharks swimming around them. It said the good news is we know where the treasure is, are you really going let a couple sharks stand between you and the gold. It was funny, well at the time, until I was the one in the water. You are right though you very seldom see them in the water, and they usually don't come near you. I am also right about the gut being where the heavier gold rings and things end up. So now to another question. I am 5"4 120lbs, how do I get the weight on the scoop in deeper water. I am using a long handle large scoop. It seems that when ever I try to dig and put my weight on it, my whole body just floats to the top and I am holding on to the scoop like a flag waving in the wind. Then I twist and wiggle, and jump up and down and think I am getting somewhere only to discover that when the scoop comes up, I barely scratched the surface. Maybe I can get some pegs weilded on the side, like a pogo stick lol.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about a weight belt but what if I stepped into a hole over my head? I'd sink like a rock! A problem I've thought about too. Monty

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
Ok, be careful what you wish for. I have been wishing for the waves to calm down so I could get out deeper. Well I got my wish, the conditions were nice, we actually had guts form in between the sandbars, and you could get out to them. I have been waiting for this day, because I know that's where all the heavy gold gets deposited. I make it to the gut its shoulder deep, I found out real quickly I was in for a huge challenge. How to scoop when you can't put weight on the scoop and your body floats up everytime you try. Oh I was finding signals, just couldn't get to them. So here I am complating my dilemma when a fish pops next to me, startled I look just in time for fill something slam into me. I jump, look down and see a second shark hit me, then a third coming. From the first jump I already had my scoop pulled in(like the tom and jerry cartoons when someone cowers up afraid of the mouse) so I popped the 3rd sucker when it swam at me, and realized the other two had came back around me, and hitting the 3rd shark scared the other two off. Okay we aren't talking jaws here, they were only 2-3ft but in shoulder deep water, all I could think was there might be a mama somewhere. I got the heck out of there and went back to the shoreline to check my pants and catch my breath. I have been out, and seen small sharks before, but the are skidish and take off. These bumped me, and considering the mullet were jumping like popcorn, i guess it was feeding time, and they didn't like me being there. That's OK, I was glad to give them their way. I stayed in waist deep the rest of the day. Anyone else run into sharks out there?

Well, through the years I've run into them a number of times and even been backed out of the water a few times. I've also been "bumped" a number of times in murky water but was never able to see what had done it (a very uneasy feeling).

First I'd like to say that you are one lucky lady, especially if they were feeding on the mullet and assure you that a 3' shark can and has done plenty of damage. Second, the fact that you returned to the water at all, much less waist deep, certainly demonstrates that you are not a lady to run afoul of regardless of your physical stature....lol. Should I ever inadvertently torque you off, please let me know immediately so I can fall to my knees and quickly beg your forgiveness :icon_salut:

My long time, late girlfried, was also 5-4 120 lbs. We experimented with all kinds of ideas but found that chest deep, in a calm sea was at best the limit of her effective digging and that wasn't easy. That decreased dramatically with even the slightest swells. We did come up with one thing though that worked very well and we used it often to work the deeper areas.

Here in Florida, on both the Gulf and Atlantic coasts there are off shore sandbars that you can harvest the large sand dollars (the really big ones and especially the arrowhead shaped ones). We used a Brownie Third Lung for that. We would collect them, clean them, harden them and she would paint them. We would then sell them to gift shops along the beach and online. Anyway, I had the idea of her trying the Third Lung for digging the deeper areas. We found that if she weighted herself a little on the heavy side, it worked great and she used a hand scoop. We were already using it for the Sand dollars and for hunting Sharks Teeth and fossils so this just expanded its uses. Again though, a floating hookah set up has its limits as the seas begin to rise.

Again, let me express my admiration for your courage, ask you to please be careful, and tell you, for what it's worth, that you would be welcome on any crew I put together.

Deepsix

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank God they weren't interested you. If they were....ouch.

I've had several small sharks swim near me. The biggest was a sand shark about 5 1/2 feet long. Big enough to get my attention.

As for the problem of not being able to get the scoop to bite when you are in neck deep water, that's a big problem. I have hit prime areas that I know there was gold down there but I couldn't recover it for the same reason. I now bring a mask with me for the next time. I'm going to try to recover it that way. Of course if it's deep it will probably stay there.

This summer I plan on hitting a few beaches in the early morning or late afternoon with scuba. I know there has to be gold in those dark lines near the sand bars... :dontknow:

Be careful out there and if you see bait fish hitting the surface and jumping put some distance between you and them. Usually there is something bigger down there that is causing them to move like that.

Good luck and hope to see more goodies posted soon.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks deepsix and capt., maybe I am too redneck to be scared for long of the big fish. It just doesn't occur to me. They startled me, and I am all for giving them their space. My outlook probably would of changed had they been bigger than me. Just like when we I tried snokeling, and people were bailing out of the water because of some really big fish. I just floated around checking them out. It never occured to me to be afraind. Now after when folks were saying they were barracuda, and that they attack objects like gold and stuff, I though well sheesh here I was just trolling the water without a care. Oh well I wasn't wearing gold anyway. Now the weight belt was my first thought and I might look into it. I am sure as a dive belt it has a quick release. I guess my next option is just to take along someone that is taller than me, and heavier and make them dig my deep targets.
;Dany volunteers ;D ;D ;D

one of these days I am going to learn to scuba, but after seeing a video by a friend who is a dive instructor and seeing jew fish as big as vw bugs, I might not like being underwater with fish that large. lol

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
Thanks deepsix and capt., maybe I am too redneck to be scared for long of the big fish. It just doesn't occur to me. They startled me, and I am all for giving them their space. My outlook probably would of changed had they been bigger than me. Just like when we I tried snokeling, and people were bailing out of the water because of some really big fish. I just floated around checking them out. It never occured to me to be afraind. Now after when folks were saying they were barracuda, and that they attack objects like gold and stuff, I though well sheesh here I was just trolling the water without a care. Oh well I wasn't wearing gold anyway. Now the weight belt was my first thought and I might look into it. I am sure as a dive belt it has a quick release. I guess my next option is just to take along someone that is taller than me, and heavier and make them dig my deep targets.
;Dany volunteers ;D ;D ;D

one of these days I am going to learn to scuba, but after seeing a video by a friend who is a dive instructor and seeing jew fish as big as vw bugs, I might not like being underwater with fish that large. lol

I have a feeling that the Jewfish would have met his match with you....lol!!!! I stopped volunteering after the Marines (some of us have to learn the hard way....lol) but for you I might make an exception....lol.

Keep at it, find lots of treasure and most of all, have lots of fun,

Deepsix

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes I HAD a 6 foot hammerhead come within 3 foot of my scoop in 3 in a half foot water Last week. Scared the bejesus out of me the rest of the day I went to the shallows (ankle deep) If the water is murky stay shallow ,, the water was murky that day and also wait till the sun gets a little higher .. Sharks feed in the morning and at dusk,,,,, be careful Guzz1

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
cuddas wil attack any thing shiney at all --they are very fast and very dangerous to be around if you have anything shiney on you. ---ask any diver about em. ---cuddas are worse than sharks bite risk wise.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I would have had a mess in my pants for sure! WOW what an experience! I don't know if I would have stayed in the water at all even waist deep after that! Glad you are ok and get out of the water when bait fish are around you!

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason there seems to be a lot more little guys (sharks) this year.I have been seeing them on the beachs i hunt more than i ever did.I took my son (7) fishing last weekend an he caught 2 in the middle of the day :icon_scratch: Glad to see your ok.Better luck on the Gold next time.

OP
OP
txkickergirl

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
guzz1 said:
Yes I HAD a 6 foot hammerhead come within 3 foot of my scoop in 3 in a half foot water Last week. Scared the bejesus out of me the rest of the day I went to the shallows (ankle deep) If the water is murky stay shallow ,, the water was murky that day and also wait till the sun gets a little higher .. Sharks feed in the morning and at dusk,,,,, be careful Guzz1

HOLY COW, If it had been me(a 6ft anything), you would of heard me scream all the way from Texas. The water is always murky here, except that day I could actually see the bottom, it was super clear and it was midday. Kinda makes me wonder what I don't see when I am in the water, ain't that a comforting thought. My brother called me yesterday he got up and hit the water around 4am--brave~ stupid~ brave~ stupid, ok he's both ;D He told me he was detecting along and then got picked up by a ray, and that there were a lot of little ones out. I remember as kids we would go out between 12am and 3am with lanterns to gig flounder. It was such a blast, and that a few times I stepped on a ray and it would take off out from under you. It was a real spooky feeling, the feeling of your feet coming out from under you.

Hey Cotton I bet your son was thrilled to catch them though. That is one thing I plan on doing this summer is taking the kids out camping overnight on the beach, and let them do some fishing. My youngest is 6 and let me tell you when it comes to fishing the kid has the patience of Job, he will spend hours sitting holding a pole. We took them last summer and I could not get him off the pier for the world we are talking like 9am-11pm and that's because I dragged him off finally to go to bed. The only time he took a break was to grab a bite and drink, and more bait. The worst part was the only thing bitting were hard heads. His dad is going to take him in the gulf this year when the king fish run, can't wait to see his face when they catch one as big as him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions