One Man, One Story

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
John Filson is the first person known to have (referenced the mine) following Swift's death. In 1788, (Filson claimed a tract of land supposed to have included a silver mine) worked by "a certain man named Swift." Filson disappeared, taking with him any knowledge he may have had as to the mine's location. if you think he mapped all of eastern Kentucky by him self, well he more than likely paid or kind of borrowed from other land surveyors. he did get a book on Kentucky published, by the size of this undertaking he must have had help? he had land here because of the war.
he added the swift story, so he could sell land and it helps if the mines are on the land grant. he owed a lot of money and he was getting boxed into a corner. all of sudden he disappears next to the ohio river in ohio how convenient. hmmm? has for a lot of the stories passed down. I have found carvings in Kentucky, Virginia, west Virginia and Tennessee. they all seem to be the same. odd that so many have sharp edges and not worn down by weather. people in the different areas found carvings and claimed they must be clues to the mines and they must be close by. stories were past down from father to son for years. over the years I have been shown carvings and supposed mine openings that were claimed to be swifts. a lot were done by Indians, hunters, Spanish and French and don't forget the civil war. oh and don't forget the books that came out telling about the huge wealth that lies in the hills. yes their is silver and gold out their, but don't go searching for just one set of mines. research vary carefully because it may be indian, French or Spanish and also it could be the civil war or later. remember that research and follow up at the area is the most important part of treasure hunting. I know, I know i'm rambling on.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its OK, I love reading your ramblings!
I think the Welsh may have been the original miners of various metals. Mainly lead and iron in the late 600's. The Indians were either taught or learned by observing the Welsh. Many centuries later the Spanish and French worked and opened mines. You mention the Civil War, but don't forget that the niter and lead mines were plentiful during the War of 1812 (2nd War of Independence). Many of those mines were reopened during the civil war.

Digger1974

Greenie
Jun 26, 2017
Huntington wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boomer, is there any caves or mines readily available to get to near Grayson lake? My son actually wants to take a break from his Xbox and go for a hike. I know there are some around but he has asthma so I don't want to take him in too far. Thanx.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
there are several mines and buried goodies out there. there is a corridor that runs from the head waters of tug fork/big sandy river west to interstate 75 north than to Lexington than northeast to Maysville on the ohio river. has for the welsh, this part is iffy? I have come across what seems to be stick writing next to a mine that was caved in or blasted in, also same odd carvings at little sandy river and corn island on the ohio river. digger: first thing don't take a detector into a state park. this one story is a good one for him. the lady lives near sandy hook. her grand father found a money mold and some French coins. I never got to go to the place. go on rt.7 toward sandy hook, just before sandy hook, you will come to a place that has a large amount of cliffs on both sides of the road. look to the left and see the small rock house, it may be a small cave opening, not sure? above or near that opening there seems to be where a blast or lighting strike happened. she said every once in a while he would find a coin also part of a powder horn of some type.

MasterMason46

Jan 15, 2009
Elliott Co. Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are several mines and buried goodies out there. there is a corridor that runs from the head waters of tug fork/big sandy river west to interstate 75 north than to Lexington than northeast to Maysville on the ohio river. has for the welsh, this part is iffy? I have come across what seems to be stick writing next to a mine that was caved in or blasted in, also same odd carvings at little sandy river and corn island on the ohio river. digger: first thing don't take a detector into a state park. this one story is a good one for him. the lady lives near sandy hook. her grand father found a money mold and some French coins. I never got to go to the place. go on rt.7 toward sandy hook, just before sandy hook, you will come to a place that has a large amount of cliffs on both sides of the road. look to the left and see the small rock house, it may be a small cave opening, not sure? above or near that opening there seems to be where a blast or lighting strike happened. she said every once in a while he would find a coin also part of a powder horn of some type.

The place on Rt. 7 is the Laurel Gorge, there are 2 cave openings along the left side of the old road. so I am not sure which one you are referring to. The new road runs along the top of those cliffs, coming from Grayson you need to turn left towards the Heritage center, that takes you along the bottom of the Gorge the first cave is about halfway through the Gorge the second is at the end of the cliff. I am not sure if you can see it from the road at this time of year but in the winter you can see both openings easily from the old road. There has been a few very very nice Indian artifacts found in the cave at the end of the cliff.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
mastermason: I wish I could have talked to her grand father, he was 92 when he passed. lived his whole life along sandy. she told me the story and showed me the coins. the coins looked vary rough hammered. just a guess, ether the metal was not hot enough to strike or the mold was poorly made. she never talked about a second cave. you may have it. I think she said end of cliff?

MasterMason46

Jan 15, 2009
Elliott Co. Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Boomer, Between traveling all over the country for my work, I havnt been around much the past few yrs, and just now getting back to something I am pretty passionate about,"Swift and the history of Elliott County" The cave at the end of the cliff is the easiest one to see from old Rt. 7, the other one is much harder to see, you have to look really close to see it. I grew up in Elliott County and have spent many days and nights roaming the hills and hollers, cliffs and caves, pretty much anywhere that looked or seemed interesting or had an old story or legend, I had to check it out, still do as much as the body will let me " mind willing but the body is tired ". I do believe that Swifts mines or at least some of them are on Caney. But you are like a walking History book, so much Information you have shared with us here, and for that we all owe you a huge thank you. Years ago I found a vein of lead near the intersection of 32 and 719 just another old legend that I heard about from my Grandfather and a few of the other old timers, all I can say is it is there. I also found a rock carving near the lead vein, it looks like 2 Christmas trees butted end to end. Ha ve you ever found anything or heard of a lead mine in your research, or anything about what the carving could mean? I also wonder if Tarkill cave could be the Great Cave of the Shawnee, I havnt been to Tarkill in probably 30 yrs or more but if you go up through the crawl space on your left from the enterance about half a mile or so back there are names, initals and dates on the walls from the 1700,s. Within probably 100 feet of the entrance the main cave has caved in at some point many years ago, It would be in the same general area if Swifts mines are on Caney creek. Just some thoughts about the Swift Legend. Anyway, good to be back and look forward to exchanging ideas and sharing info with You, Curtis, Ki and all the rest. Good Luck in your search and Happy Swift Hunting.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coelbren Alphabet is what the Welsh would have used. Have a look and see what it looks like. Some of these may look very familiar as carvings. They were supposed to have traveled here from Wales around 600 AD after a comet strike devastated their land. They mined tin to make bronze before the time of Christ. Corn Island is under water and has been since the dam was built at the Falls of the Ohio. The old stone fort on the cliff above 14 mile creek is no longer accessible (legally).

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=coelbren+alphabet&FORM=HDRSC2

See the thread http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/l...-welsh-here-ky-much-earlier-than-spanish.html

Read up or watch videos on a brit named Alan Wilson and his research.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to have that lead mine checked for silver content. The lead mines at Ingles Ferry were reported to the King as lead but it also contained a bunch of silver. But no need to report silver as you would have to pay a Lion's share to the King. As long as he believes it is lead say lead.

Digger1974

Greenie
Jun 26, 2017
Huntington wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Boomer,
Yes I know not to hunt in state parks. It's a shame some of the best areas are considered state parks lol. I will have to check everything out over the weekend. Took my son detecting today at a church on balls gap road it was established 1810 and church finally built in 1849. Unfortunately only found 4 cents and all of them new pennies. And a bunch of trash.i always follow my dad's old rule of thumb..DIG EVERYTHING!!!LOL. Thanks for all the info.i love reading all your posts. Kudos

Digger1974

Greenie
Jun 26, 2017
Huntington wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking the family for a ride.headed to the Laurel center area and checking out the gorge. Hope the kids like it. Hope I find the cave area as well lol

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went kayaking up Caney yesterday, found some rock houses I didn't know about. Also discovered that the 101 rock is underwater, and that the hill behind the 101 is rough terrain, very rough.

Digger1974

Greenie
Jun 26, 2017
Huntington wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok went down the gorge area over bridge and found what appeared to be a cave about 30 ft up the embankment.it was at the end on the left side hopefully it was the one mentioned.also going back up the hill toward main road was a nice Rockhouse about 50 ft up me and the kids walked up to it...pretty cool. KIMG0183.JPG

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a large crack upper left of opening. Would be interesting to explore! Maybe a fissure deposit?

Digger1974

Greenie
Jun 26, 2017
Huntington wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I don't think the crack was much higher. Going back next Sunday to walk the gorge with my son and check out every place that could hold "something" or "someone". Had my whole family with me so not much walk time.

OP
OP
boomer

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
book and carvings

after posting about the book on the big sandy valley, I went and looked on line to pull the story about the sinking on the sandy. boy did I get a surprise, there was nothing left of the swift stories about paint creek. no sperlock family. no boat sinking. all they had was the small story about jenny wiley and the lead ore. I checked several sites, all the same. it looks like they removed and replaced with family stories. found a site that is called U.S. Mines.com showed a sliver mine being worked in Jackson county. just below that mine are some mines that were worked by the Spanish, date on one branch near mine is 1632 another shows 1704. between silver mine hallow and tarpin lick branch on war fork is a load of stuff. also showing picture of ogum writing that looks close to what I have seen.

Attachments

• jackson silver mine.png
    jackson silver mine.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 303
  • ogham .png
    ogham .png
    13.4 KB · Views: 223

MasterMason46

Jan 15, 2009
Elliott Co. Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after posting about the book on the big sandy valley, I went and looked on line to pull the story about the sinking on the sandy. boy did I get a surprise, there was nothing left of the swift stories about paint creek. no sperlock family. no boat sinking. all they had was the small story about jenny wiley and the lead ore. I checked several sites, all the same. it looks like they removed and replaced with family stories. found a site that is called U.S. Mines.com showed a sliver mine being worked in Jackson county. just below that mine are some mines that were worked by the Spanish, date on one branch near mine is 1632 another shows 1704. between silver mine hallow and tarpin lick branch on war fork is a load of stuff. also showing picture of ogum writing that looks close to what I have seen.

Hi Boomer, the carving I found is close to the E or the J but the lines on the ends are shorter than the middle lines

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread