One Month of Hunting: by a Newbie

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
( move this post wherever it belongs, i wasn't exactly sure where to put it)

well, today marked my first month of hunting and has it been a good one! I started on september 5th last month and took off like a rocket! I started out in local parks and empty lots, then found a forum dedicated to Texas. After doing research i found some good places in my neighborhood to hunt and off i went! In one month, i got 4 rosie dimes 15+ wheat pennies, 2 silver rings, 1 silver pendant, over $60 in clad and managed to dig up over 1,100 coins. I did all this with the Bounty Hunter VLF, probably one of the lowest end metal detectors you can buy. I have found some cool relics along the way too. Metal detecting has also brought my family closer together! After my brother and dad saw how well i was doing they joined the hunt! This has been a great experience and i am looking so forward to getting back out on the hunt as much as possible. I have done all this while maintaining a full time job working for my city, a fiance and a beautiful 5 year old daughter who also enjoys hunting with me. I just hope this inspires others who are new to detecting! I also started making my own videos last week and i do have an introduction that recaps my finds. If you would like to see those videos you can click here if not thats fine too. Here are some pictures of my finds to date, i hope you enjoy and i hope i can make an impression on others who are new to this hobby as well!!!
8cd26a5e.jpg

76965390.jpg

7c9c1b50.jpg

0e5f9937.jpg

dc6e4a3b.jpg

865609dd.jpg

6cc6fc8c.jpg

82456589.jpg

35f5a0e7.jpg

Upvote 0

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow, what a start..... my wife has a word that describes you (and I) well.... "obsessed". Continued luck with your obsession.

Cliff

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdv1 said:
Wow, what a start..... my wife has a word that describes you (and I) well.... "obsessed". Continued luck with your obsession.

Cliff
Thank you! and yes, obsessed describes it perfectly!

Henry2

May 27, 2011
7 silver pieces in your 1st month detecting is amazing :headbang:, I guess it's safe to say you're hooked. I started metal detecting over 15 years ago when I was a kid with a cheap Whites machine. I believe it took me about 3-4 months to find my 1st silver (Barber dime) which I still have to this day.

And the obsession cdv1 mentioned does come with some side effects. Soon you will find yourself looking at other peoples property and just imagining what treasures lay under their ground. Then comes seeing land on TV and just wishing you had the chance to metal detect there. Also you will find yourself looking at the ground more often looking for that dropped quarter or ring someone lost. And the final clue that you're hooked is when you start having dreams of metal detecting :tongue3: I have one probably once per week where I find the big score lol.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME job buddy, yup your hooked now!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks everyone! I am eager to see what i can do with a quality machine, im looking at the Fisher F5!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Welcome to t-net and congratulations on your variety of finds! Nice silver. And I especially like the little dog!

We also have a Bounty Hunter which definitely does the job. Our model isn't supposed to get its electronic box wet but it was thoroughly soaked with salt water because I failed to see an errant wave. After consulting son & husband, I opened the box, shook out the salt water and let it dry out overnight. Next I tediously cleaned off the dried salt and sand with q-tips, and voila! Good as new! Sturdy machine.

I know you and your family will continue to have fun and make more super finds! Andi

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. You have done better in a month than I have done in a year. I have yet to find silver, other than a ring and only a few wheaties. Mountains of fired military brass and iron objects. Congrats and keep it up.

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
g-olden years said:
Welcome to t-net and congratulations on your variety of finds! Nice silver. And I especially like the little dog!

We also have a Bounty Hunter which definitely does the job. Our model isn't supposed to get its electronic box wet but it was thoroughly soaked with salt water because I failed to see an errant wave. After consulting son & husband, I opened the box, shook out the salt water and let it dry out overnight. Next I tediously cleaned off the dried salt and sand with q-tips, and voila! Good as new! Sturdy machine.

I know you and your family will continue to have fun and make more super finds! Andi
is the VLF coil water proof?

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureFiend said:
AWESOME job buddy, yup your hooked now!!! :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat: :icon_pirat:
You were on of my first subs and inspirations to start my own films!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Though I'd owned a metal detector for several years, I really didn't start seriously detecting until September of 2010. Like you, I got hooked immediately. Congrats on the finds - you've started a journey that will be with you the rest of your days.

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Stonewall said:
Though I'd owned a metal detector for several years, I really didn't start seriously detecting until September of 2010. Like you, I got hooked immediately. Congrats on the finds - you've started a journey that will be with you the rest of your days.
Thanks! I have met some great people along the way that have contributed to my success! This first month has been a great learning experience and extremely rewarding!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread