Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One month update on "Cuddles"

Cuddles (wife named her) is now just a tad over one month old, I thought it was time to take her one month photo for her album. :)
I cleaned out her terrarium today, new dirt, new moss and took the opportunity while she was roaming in my raised brick garden during the cleaning to take some new photos of her.

Why am I calling her a her? Well, look at those brown eyes, now how could it not be a gal with those big brown eyes! ;) My Grandson keeps calling him Max, well, somehow I like the wife's giving the name of Cuddles or Max, so Cuddles it is..........
Don

Attachments

• Cuddles1.jpg
    Cuddles1.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 289
  • Cuddles2.jpg
    Cuddles2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 293
  • Cuddles3.jpg
    Cuddles3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 298
  • CuddlesCleanedTerrarium.jpg
    CuddlesCleanedTerrarium.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 253

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Re: One month update on "Cuddles"

Cute little rascal Don....and you've fixed "her" up with a really nice place to grow up and roam about.

BTW...next time you're in an airport, get them shoes shined :o

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shoes? What Shoes?? Don't think Cuddles is wearing any! ;D

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Don love the turtle !! I was leaving the farm this am for work, and there in the drive was a small turtle !! snapping one I think ??? If I had not been in such a hurry I would have turned him into a pet ;D

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I think Cuddles might be a Max ;), when I was in school we were told that female turtles have a longer very pointed tail. This might only be true for the kind we were studying at the time tho. What kind of turtle is it? The snappers here in Iowa don't have that large ridge down the back. It's really pretty whatever kind it may be.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

artemis moon said:
She's a cutie! Has she gotten any bigger?

To measure Cuddles would be tough, but instead we have been weighing her/ him. A month ago she/he weighed 6.31 grams and today on Oct 31st he weighed 6.37 grams. :)

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sara77 said:
I think Cuddles might be a Max ;), when I was in school we were told that female turtles have a longer very pointed tail. This might only be true for the kind we were studying at the time tho. What kind of turtle is it? The snappers here in Iowa don't have that large ridge down the back. It's really pretty whatever kind it may be.

The longer tail is true for most water turtles, but for the land turtle, of which Cuddles is, the tail is an indicator but not a solid one, especially since it is so young. I believe shape of the shell, a female has a "higher" shell, a female has a flat underside, a male has a concave one, a female usually has brown eyes, the male red or orange.
I would have to brush up on "how to tell" since I used to be well versed on it many decades ago and my father was well known for his knowledge on Turtles in the SE Pa region where he gave many talks to school children, boy and girl scouts and other organizations for many years. In addition he was an wildlife instructor for a Pennsylvania run State Forest Education Center. (Nolde State Forest) He was even on Capt Noah, a Philadelphia children's program in the 80's and was known then and afterwards as Mr Turtle. :)

Anyway, this turtle is an Eastern Box Turtle and I think he/she is just too young yet for using those indicators, but heck, they are BIG BROWN EYES! :)

Don

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Reminds me of Micki's eye's, that is how she got me, us. :) So what is she the size of a half dollar now? Glad she is doing so well! How's the "other" aquarium doing?

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Reminds me of Micki's eye's, that is how she got me, us. :) So what is she the size of a half dollar now? Glad she is doing so well! How's the "other" aquarium doing?

Still think Cuddles is Quarter size, gaining weight around the belly I think! ::)

The caterpillar aquarium is sitting outside and I suspect we will not know till a warm spring day on whether they emerge from their coccoons or not.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread