ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes it was a find a rare one indeed -- only 8000 were minted in 1866 by the philly mint ( thus "no mint mark"-- the "S" San Francisco mark type is fairly common but the "no mint mark "p" is rare) --and 500 proof coins were made --total mintage was only 8,500 coins -- and that was about 150 years ago--- so how many still exist not many I'm sure --this coin is uber rare.. and while in poor shape --it is a 1866 philly one dime -- which if your a collector trying to complete your set of seated dimes--this fits the bill as a honest super rare "filler"at least ..

it was found a while back but today is the first time I got the wife to scan it for posting ... in the book" finders -- secert's of success"-- under my #27 --I list it as one of my "best ever finds'

in 1901 the city of Jacksonville , Florida had a massive fire ... which is why I think this coin has the damage it has --- thankfully the date area on the front and the mint mark area on the rear were unharmed --so the coin is still easily ID ible .. as a philly mint 1866 one dime.. pity its not in better shape --it would be a big bucks coin then...still uber rare in any condition at all..heck if say 50 coins per year get destroyed ....over 150 years that's 7.500 coins.... only leaving 1000 left out of the 8500 produced in total .. like I said ..rare coin in any condition..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread