Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014 has started off slow, but it's finally kicking in. I went back to the site where I dug my first token of the year (my last post), with Field Mouse, who is still kicking my but token-wise. About 20 minutes into the hunt, this popped out. At first I thought it was a large aluminum token, from the 1940's. But when I felt the weight of it in my hand, I got excited. it's a 1922-D Peace dollar, and my first one of that type. I've been lucky to dig three Morgans, (one horribly corroded), but the Peace has alluded me for a good long time. After leaving that site, we drove around, hitting other areas with little luck. Stopping by a construction site, and while walking around the outside fence area, I spied a small pile of bottles, with one Hutch. It was manufactured in Colorado, (Colorado City Glass Co.), from 1889-1893. It has a letter "M" in a horseshoe shaped slug plate. can't find any info on it. The other Hutch is a nice "Simmons and Hansen" Hutch, from the early 1890's. The small Scholtz medicine is common, as well as the A.L. Murdock, Liquid Food, but it's a nice 12 sided amber, so it's a keeper. Finally got the Hutch Monkey off my back, now I just gotta go back!

Attachments

• 1922 Peace#1.jpg
    1922 Peace#1.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 159
  • M#1.jpg
    M#1.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Simmons&Hansen#1.jpg
    Simmons&Hansen#1.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Scholtz.jpg
    Scholtz.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Copy of A.L. LIQUID FOOD.jpg
    Copy of A.L. LIQUID FOOD.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottles.

Great silver find! Congrats on your finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I have dug lots of hutches, but the silver dollar continues to elude me!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations, Carl! Nice digz, all. I particularly admire that script M, Colorado made Hutch.

52733.gif "Colorado City Glass Company, (1889-1893),
Colorado City, CO, United States, Occurs on 4 bottles, Show distribution map of bottles with the Colorado City mark Put bottles made by Colorado City Glass Co. on a shelf
Manufactured beer and soda bottles. This factory was formed with capital from Adolphus Busch of Saint Louis and Jerome B. Wheeler of New York as principal share holders. It consisted of a bottle and flint factory. The factory sustained a major fire in 1892, but was rebuilt. The silver panic of 1893 was partially responsible for its closure. The markings usually appear on the base of the bottle, but in at least one instance on the heel." North American Soda & Beer Bottles - Beer & Soft Drink Manufacturers

Hutchinson_Original_Drawing.jpg

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome big silver, it's a great feeling plucking one of those honkers out the ground.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt. Strange looking corrosion on the silver though.....sure it's not counterfeit? HH

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great on the Peace Dollar ! What is Hutch ? (that wouldn't be hooch would it ?)
Thanks all. A Hutch, short for Hutchinson, is one of the forerunners of the crown type soda style of bottle making. The crown type is what we all are used to, basically the bottles that have the bottle cap top attachment.
Took me a while before I started to learn most of the bottle terminology. Hutch bottles pretty much were discontinued after the crown type became more popular. (Cheaper, and more hygienic)
Carl

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great hunt. Strange looking corrosion on the silver though.....sure it's not counterfeit? HH

Real thing. There was a piece of iron that was stuck to it when I pulled it from the ground, and it's a ***** trying to get the remainder off!
Carl

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, Carl! Nice digz, all. I particularly admire that script M, Colorado made Hutch. View attachment 958122 "Colorado City Glass Company, (1889-1893), Colorado City, CO, United States, Occurs on 4 bottles, Show distribution map of bottles with the Colorado City mark Put bottles made by Colorado City Glass Co. on a shelf Manufactured beer and soda bottles. This factory was formed with capital from Adolphus Busch of Saint Louis and Jerome B. Wheeler of New York as principal share holders. It consisted of a bottle and flint factory. The factory sustained a major fire in 1892, but was rebuilt. The silver panic of 1893 was partially responsible for its closure. The markings usually appear on the base of the bottle, but in at least one instance on the heel." North American Soda & Beer Bottles - Beer & Soft Drink Manufacturers
Hutchinson_Original_Drawing.jpg

Thanks for the info! That site now tells me that C. C. G. Co. exported out of state, which I thought might, but didn't know for sure.
Sent him off an email, hopefully at the next bottle club meeting I might get some more answers.
Carl

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool, silver Peace Dollar and those bottles really are the icing on the cake. Sweet!

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver...sweet find !!!

I,m waiting to find my 1st one .

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Done Curbdigger Carl , it's a shock and a shame all these great finds get little attention :dontknow: this forum sure has changed .

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Dollar man! Excellent bottles as well, please be sure to post whatever you find the next time you mosey about that decidedly promising construction site.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got some nice bottles there! Congrats on the Hutchinson! That Peace Dollar is great! And you have dug three Morgans! That's awesome, I would love to dig a silver dollar! Way to go on all the nice finds :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread