One person holding 120 acres placer claim

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That much I don't know about. ...Ok, gonna correct my post, as that info came from none-other than GRE's website! DUH!! Sorry, am very embarrassed about such a massive mistake on my part.

Ok, correction made.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sell a hard rock claim. With buildings and give the impression that the buildings are yours somehow. Really you are opening yourself up to all kinds of liability. AND depending on your state reclamation for a mine you never operated.
When I see their prices on top of that it makes me want throw up.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I never got that impression about the buildings. They state that the buildings may be updated for use in working the claim. As near as I can tell, that's true - at least in Montana where I was looking to go. There is a fine line as to what is allowed, and BLM would just as soon let everything fall in. However, it seems these folks are getting SOME help from BLM in the lines of historical documentation. Might this be documentation that anyone can get? Probably. But as you said, the prices are just too dang high! If values were what they try to sell you on, they'd be making MUCH more money keeping the best claims they find just for themselves. To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much, in this case), that isn't happening.

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GRE is the best outfit I have "so far" heard of out there doing this. ...Doesn't mean I think their prices are worth their products! On the other hand, they DO seem to be working closely with BLM (according to GRE!), which I think is a good thing. Anyone that is in favor of keeping prospecting/mining alive and well gets my vote. ...Just not necessarily my business. :laughing9:

thats not the one I meant specifically but, yes them too. But, hey they give you a map of tunnels and workings that counts for validity right:laughing7:
Oh and they use the name of the claim as it last was yay nostalgia.

i'm referring to a couple individuals. one is out of Nevada Co. the other is farther north. Either way don't buy claims.

Nevada County Mining Company out of Grass Valley. Guy that runs this company is an a hole, ask me how I know? Sadly my claim was purchased from him, after the run around and transfer process I learned a lot and found out how easy it would be too just locate and file myself. Some times you just have to learn the hard way I guess.. I'm actually quite happy with the claim and the price paid for it was nothing compared to what I see some go for.

True story, the guy took our money then almost a month went by, he stopped responding to emails/ebay messages after he had been paid and I havre him my info for the transfer and paid his crazy $200 transfer fee, I had nothing at this point and was getting really concerned since no response. I started to do some research and ended up finding his address and phone number so I called and he answered and I very calmly and politely said who I was and asked why he had no responded to me and the man flew off the handle telling me I needed to calm down and leave him alone or he may just not send me anything.. He was like talking to a child, very stand off ish, not professional at all and very provoking in repeatedly mentioning he had the claim and the money and could do whatever he wanted so I better relax and let him do his thing.. That's when I lost it.. last thing I said to him was something like "Look mother#&@$&er, I have your address it's (said his actual addy), I'll see you in an hour you better be home, and I just hung up... Was about to jump in the truck freaking fuming and my phone rings and it's the Sheriff in Grass Valley, saying he was informed that I threatened this guy and he was concerned and wanted to talk to me about a threatening phone call complaint. I explained to him the situation and told him I have all the proof he could need to see as of this point this guy was basically committing fraud over the internet and that I will be contacting my local authorites as well. After I explained myself the sheriff actually seemed concerned about my situation and said he would talk to the guy and wouldn't you know same day I get a email that I will recive my paperwork in a week and it came just then. Do yourself and favor and avoid Nevada County Mining Co.

I know I could have handled the situation better myself now looking back, I let him get to me I guess. I'm just glad it turned out for the better after the talk with the Sheriff..

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't blame you and I know exactly who your talking about. I know some one that is a partner on a claim with him. Friend of mine who posts here. I got into it with him over some legal jargon. He started calling me names etc. I told my friend to keep him away from me. He is shady for sure

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
On the other forum I'm on, we refer to these people in a very kind manner....Claim Flippers. They rate right up there with lawyers and politicians, generally speaking.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never got that impression about the buildings. They state that the buildings may be updated for use in working the claim. As near as I can tell, that's true - at least in Montana where I was looking to go. There is a fine line as to what is allowed, and BLM would just as soon let everything fall in. However, it seems these folks are getting SOME help from BLM in the lines of historical documentation. Might this be documentation that anyone can get? Probably. But as you said, the prices are just too dang high! If values were what they try to sell you on, they'd be making MUCH more money keeping the best claims they find just for themselves. To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much, in this case), that isn't happening.
They advertise some as "mine camps" theres one in colorado right now for 200k. considering the claim is essentially worth 300 bucks they must be adding the value somehere.
Thats why they include all the pics of the buildings and interior. Once you spend some time poking around the west and dealing with blm/fs you discover that even though they aren't going to do anything to these buildings and historical remnants except tear them don or let them rot and be destroyed by vandals...they will also come after you if you have a claim and use the building. you become an easy target. On top of that if you are stupid enough to buy an abandoned hardrock mine and set up camp right in that old "town" on top of it. there is absolutely nothing you can do about other users poking around that "town" or setting up a tent in an alley or behind a building etc.
Moreover hardrock claims have dips and strikes and compass direction. Have you ever looked at old hardrock claim maps in high density areas. oOe generic rectangle is not the way it works. The descriptions that GRE gives to the blm vs. the description of what you are getting is very misleading. Those old records and maps are not recorded or held by blm. They are not working with blm. In fact they are clueing BLM in on harrasment targets if anything. Old abandoned mine camp withering away amongst the junipers not much they can/will do... Then, Staff meeting "hey Bob did you here that some sap paid 200k for the mineral claim under Silver Gulch and is using the old mill building to store stuff"...let's go introduce ourselves!!
as the locator of the sub surface deposit you do not gain "ownership" of those old buildings. They are owned by all of us. You can barely get a P.O.O to put up a temporary building anymore most of these places. You most definetly to not havre the right to improve them. and depending on their age can get in trouble for doing so. Gre is saying these things to increase the percieved value.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info Goldwasher. Had a feeling there was more going on there than met the eye! :notworthy:

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I dont know how these single locators or gulch claims are getting away with it.

In all instances, a claim must also meet the following requirements:
A location by 1 or 2 persons must fit within the boundaries of a square 40 acre parcel (1320 ft x1320 ft)

By 3 or 4 persons in 2 square 40 acre parcels
By 5 or 6 persons in 3 square 40 acre parcels
By 7 or 8 persons in 4 square 40 acre parcels

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread