One step closer to Apocalypse

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I recently read online via the wall street journal that the mint is changing the composition of their pennies and nickels. As of the beginning of 2013 the mint will change the penny from copper to copper plated steel and the nickel to nickel plated steel. All I can think is ewwwww, nasty!! I still plan on CRHing but I am wondering if they will have to remake the coin counters. And will these new counters mean the end of our beloved War nickels, buffs and wheaties? Hmm. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

See ya, Garoulady

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Canada is talking about removing penny alltogether. Prices would be rounded to the closest 5 cents increment.

For example amount finishing like 5.01, 5.02 will be rounded to 5.00, amount of 5.03 and 5.04 to 5.05.

The reason why such unit's of currency still exist is because of taxes. Tax, plain and simple. Think about it, if there was no sales tax, then why would business price their products in increments involving change? If capitalist society, had run the course of time WITHOUT sales tax, along with inflation, smaller units such as cent's and even dimes, would have became obsolete as their inconvenience would have outweighed the additional value. Who in in their right mind, would price something $2.59, $1.92, ect, were it not for sales tax making them have to deal with change anyways.....

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The reason why such unit's of currency still exist is because of taxes. Tax, plain and simple. Think about it, if there was no sales tax, then why would business price their products in increments involving change? If capitalist society, had run the course of time WITHOUT sales tax, along with inflation, smaller units such as cent's and even dimes, would have became obsolete as their inconvenience would have outweighed the additional value. Who in in their right mind, would price something $2.59, $1.92, ect, were it not for sales tax making them have to deal with change anyways.....

People just see $5.99 and it looks better than $6 (it looks like $5 at first glance).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread