Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They closed the army post where I work at noon Friday due to an incoming snow storm. On the way home I thought I would check a grass field since there were just a few flurries and to my surprise, I could dig under about 2” of snow. I went home to change clothes but by the time I was ready, a blizzard hit us hard and I wasn’t going to wrestle Mother Nature in it. Fortunately, as bad as it was, we only got a total of 4” so I went out today and was able to dig. The temps were -4.5C/24F, I was only able to hang for one hour before my feet went cold. Here’s the field, only found one keeper and a hand full of junk.
9Jan10Field.jpg

Obverse of a worn copper coin with a hole.
9Jan10CoinO.jpg

Reverse, I think I can read 1751 near the lower middle. Not much but good to get out considering the conditions. HH, Mike
9Jan10CoinR.jpg

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
I'm getting cold just looking at that picture. :wink: Even in that kind of weather you pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Congrats on that oldie. :icon_thumleft:
-Doug-

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi mike, hope the weather gets a little better for you HH

t.p

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean that baby up......We need to know what it is! If you can......lol Nice job Mike! Winter has struck everywhere. No detecting here in NY .....The ground is like concrete.....

Keep on digging! JW

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crikey Mike! - you had a detecting itch that just had to be scratched obviously :)

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! It is rather fun going extreme. We got more snow and it was just too deep today. HH, Mike

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Mike.....4 sure, you are one of us crazies......:) I've built a fire on top of the coin site, getting the rocks warm enough to melt the ice so I could dig a signal. What a bunch we are......BUT::::::: WE'RE THE ONES HAVING FUN IN THE SNOW.
Hope you get the coin cleaned up so we can see what kind of neat treasure you found.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're keeping us in suspense! What was it?! :icon_pirat: It's been very cold here this week. (Cold for Alabama) Warming up this week tho. (40's) :P :D

Stay warm! Nana :hello:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hey mike I learned a neat trick to keeping my feet warm. wear a pair of cotton socks over a pair of wool socks. the cotton pair takes the sweat away from your feet so the wool pair keeps your feet warmer.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Hey! Is that a picture of the star wars building in Hoho? Hate that darned place.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember those winters in Germany. Tough to keep warm. As for keeping my feet warm here is what works for me. I purchased a pair of Muck boots. They are the Arctic Sport model and are rated to -40F. I've spent up to 2 hours in mountain streams panning gold with them on and my feet stayed toasty warm.

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ideas about the feet, LOL, I know better, I wear my old military thinsulated boots. The winters in Germany are not nearly as bad as when I first got here 23 years ago, I remember 3' of snow at times. The coin is probably a Bavarian Kreutzer and the date is close but not 1751. Thanks all and HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread