One week a year beach hunting . VLF vs PI

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get to metal detect at the beach once a year . Last year I took the Etrac and did well with it . 2 gold rings , 1 silver , one stainless and lots of modern clad . I have decided that I want to have a waterproof machine for this year . I had a few close calls with the Etrac while recovering items and not paying as close attention as I should have been to the waves .

Seeing how my time is limited would I be best with a VLF machine with some discrimination ?
I understand the depth vs discrimination differences just wondering how the time factor plays into this . Just looking to do the best I can in the short time I am there .

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VLF for sure if you only have a short time..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limited time, looking for fresh drops...VLF for sure.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the wet sand and saltwater, Pulse Induction rules. Dig it all, get it all!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm of the mind if it's only one week a year, and judging from what you posted using the etrac last year, why bother with the expense of a new machine? Sometimes we do much better when forced to hunt within our limitations. Adding a full beach/water machine is going to open up "a lot" more hunting ground to you, yes, but with so much ground to hunt in only a week the new machine might end up doing you a dis-service. But if I was determined to get one for only one week a year, and on fairly clean beaches, then I'd save some expense and I either buy a new Sand Shark or a used VLF, probably a CZ-21 as even the used Excals are rather pricy.

OP
OP
M

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm of the mind if it's only one week a year, and judging from what you posted using the etrac last year, why bother with the expense of a new machine? Sometimes we do much better when forced to hunt within our limitations. Adding a full beach/water machine is going to open up "a lot" more hunting ground to you, yes, but with so much ground to hunt in only a week the new machine might end up doing you a dis-service. But if I was determined to get one for only one week a year, and on fairly clean beaches, then I'd save some expense and I either buy a new Sand Shark or a used VLF, probably a CZ-21 as even the used Excals are rather pricy.

And it may end up that I take the Etrac back if I don't end up finding something . If money were no object I would buy the 3030 , since it would be a fairly smooth transition . My problem is it's to tempting for me to stay out of the water when the tide is low .

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I have both and can tell you there are places that I need a PI to even hit targets, and other places that I need a 5 inch coil on my Excalibur (VLF) just to separate the targets. Not knowing what your walking into, you want versatility to make the best of every second. Think of it like this, hunting with the Etrac..Do you want to dig every target? First water machine should be a VLF, get the PI as a backup, if the PI works better for you down the road sell the VLF. And get a Quality machine if you can afford.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like joe said, you will eventually need both a pi and vlf or at least it would be nice to have both "tools"!!

"My problem is it's to tempting for me to stay out of the water when the tide is low". this is absolutely true in my case!!! I have a original whites tdi that is actually a eric foster goldscan 5 in a whites case that I have used my last seven trips or so, I may end up selling it for one reason and one reason only........its not waterproof or rainproof!!!!! huge handicap if your detecting and all the sudden see a nice washout or hole in the surf! go a "just little deeper" get it wet or a rogue wave hits you and you just lost a machine!

you cant go wrong with a good used excal or cz20/21 600.00 to 800.00 should get you one, but buy from a trusted/established person.
chuck.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't the Surf Master PI Dual Field meet both requirements.
The outer 12" coil covers more surface area and goes deep.
While the inner 6" coil has the needed sensitivity for small gold and the accuracy for pinpointing - when X ing
a flat non ferrous target such as a coin or ring would be in the center of the small coil

I suspect accuracy would less in the water as you may not be able to see the center of the coil in murky water and the detector must remain in motion as you would loose the target if you stopped sweeping the coil as the self adjusting threshold (SAT) must remain in motion.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it may end up that I take the Etrac back if I don't end up finding something . If money were no object I would buy the 3030 , since it would be a fairly smooth transition . My problem is it's to tempting for me to stay out of the water when the tide is low .

Well then, start looking for an older blue excal, if it functions and the price is right then buy it and have it shipped directly to Joe (if he is still up and running?) and have him do a complete mod for you, even the coil swap mod. You will never need any other beach & water machine. I bought mine online for $600, with all of the mods, even the 12 x 15SEF I have right at $1100.00 in the entire setup. "And I can afford a 3030 now, but don't have one." But I will sell you my entire Excal setup for $3500.00 if that gives you any idea just how much faith I have in the setup. :thumbsup: Since doing all of the mods I have yet to encounter a beach and water situation that I couldn't meet head-on unless it was just too damn rough and dangerous, and my setup sees a lot of harsh conditions and just keeps on trucking, much to my surprise. I've owned it for either 2 or 3 years now, paid for itself several times over. I have no want or need of another machine now. The 3030 would be a possibility but it has had, and still is having issues in harsh environments, so.....not even on my list until those get resolved. Before buying the Excal and doing all the mods I owned used cz 20's/21's and tried a lot of different machines but this was the only way I felt I could insure reliability, versatility, and performance. So there you go...in my honest opinion. It's nice not having to suffer from uncertainty anymore and my confidence in my setup, as you can easily tell, has sky-rocketed.

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well then, start looking for an older blue excal, if it functions and the price is right then buy it and have it shipped directly to Joe (if he is still up and running?) and have him do a complete mod for you, even the coil swap mod. You will never need any other beach & water machine. I bought mine online for $600, with all of the mods, even the 12 x 15SEF I have right at $1100.00 in the entire setup. "And I can afford a 3030 now, but don't have one." But I will sell you my entire Excal setup for $3500.00 if that gives you any idea just how much faith I have in the setup. :thumbsup: Since doing all of the mods I have yet to encounter a beach and water situation that I couldn't meet head-on unless it was just too damn rough and dangerous, and my setup sees a lot of harsh conditions and just keeps on trucking, much to my surprise. I've owned it for either 2 or 3 years now, paid for itself several times over. I have no want or need of another machine now. The 3030 would be a possibility but it has had, and still is having issues in harsh environments, so.....not even on my list until those get resolved. Before buying the Excal and doing all the mods I owned used cz 20's/21's and tried a lot of different machines but this was the only way I felt I could insure reliability, versatility, and performance. So there you go...in my honest opinion. It's nice not having to suffer from uncertainty anymore and my confidence in my setup, as you can easily tell, has sky-rocketed.

image-2065563442.jpg

Let ole blue come through for you!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IS AREA YOUR GOING TO BE HITTING REALLY TRASHY - IF SO - GET SOMETHING WITH A DISCRIMINATOR AND MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TIME
(REMEMBERING THAT THE FARTHER YOU GO OUT IN THE WATER - "USUALLY" THE LESS TRASH THERE IS )
IS AREA OLD - OR SANDED IN ALOT - SUPER SOFT SAND THAT TARGETS SINK FAST AND DEEP - TARGETS (GOOD TARGETS LIKE GOLD ARE DEEP)
THEN YOU WANT A PI - IF YOURE NOT AFRAID TO DO SOME DIGGING AND TRASH IS MODERATE TO LOW - GET A LOWER PRICED PI
WILL YOU BE USING AT FRESH WATER SPOTS AROUND WHERE YOU LIVE ?
SOME WILL SAY GET A VLF WITH DISCRIM. FOR THAT - BUT I SAY USE PI AND CLEAN EVERYTHING OUT OF ANY LOCALS SPOTS OR HUNT IN ALL METAL WITH VLF
IVE FOUND A LOT OF GOLD UNDER TRASH WITH MY PI THAT OTHERS WITH DISCRIM. HAVE MISSED
IN A NUT SHELL - I STARTED OUT WITH A WHITES PI
I FOLLOWED MANY VLFS AT SALT WATER SPOTS AND CLEANED UP ON GOOD FINDS UNDER TRASH THEY MISSED AND ON DEEP FINDS THEY COULD NOT GET ---SO PI PAID OFF
THEN ONE YEAR I WENT TO FLA. AFTER SPRING BREAK AND THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO MAKE OUT LIKE A BANDIT - DUG OVER 100 BOTTLE CAPS IN AN HOUR ---SO I BOUGHT A VLF DISCRIM. MACHINE FOR TRIPS LIKE THAT
I STILL HUNT IN ALL METAL MOST OF THE TIME - BUT THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES IVE HAD TO USE DISCRIM AND CHERRY PICK
LIKE SOME SAY - IF YOU GET A LOWER PRICED PI MACHINE AND GET LUCKY AND FIND SOME GOLD - YOU CAN ALWAYS SELL IT AND MOVE UP
IF MONEY IS NO OBJECT - THEN GET WHAT EVER LOOKS AND SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU
WHETHER IT BE MINELAB, FISHER, WHITES ETC - THEY ALL FIND METAL - ALL ABLE TO FND THE GOLD
ITS GONNA COME DOWN TO WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH AND CAN AFFORD

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Confidence and trust"....trump everything else. Finding where to place them can be a long and enduring process.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting with a DF for 4 years bow, I got a VLF since I am tires of digging sparklers and other crap. I recently got a BHID for 400 and it is like new. I have been hunting in all metal and disc, trying to get a feel of it. I would be frustrated if I only had a week, and all I was digging is trash. I would think a water proof VLF would have other uses back at home also...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread