Ones a FIND, Twos a Joy!, Threes a HAPPY DANCE!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
One's a FIND, Two's a Joy!, Three's a HAPPY DANCE!

I just don't know if I'm going to be able to type in anything to relay the story of the day I had today. WHAT A DAY! *sigh* Too bad it was the LAST day of my vacation. Went out with a bang though!
As I said, it was the last day of my vacation, unfortunately vacation for my wife was over Tuesday. My darling better half had to go attend a statewide function for her volunteer organization, fortunately it was here in town this time. I on the other hand, aside from a couple of honey-do items to attend to, had nothing better to do today than.. you guessed it.. GO DETECTING! I kick myself now for not getting an earlier start, but it's too late to cry over spilled milk now.
I ran my errands at lunch time (noon) and picked up a sandwich while I was going from place to place.. lunch on the run. I had my detector safely tucked away in the trunk and as soon as I finished my last errand I headed to a nearby (to my home) baseball park. I figured it would be fairly deserted this time of day... in the middle of the week. I was right. All the kiddies were still in school, all the adults (parents and coaches etc.) were at work or wherever.. so it was just me and the scattered grounds keepers. I guess they still don't see too many detectorist in these parks, because I alwas seem to get several of them either stopping what they are doing or slowing down to check out the fool with the doohicky on a stick and knee pads on. <grin>
Well with a near perfect day weather wise, bright and sunny, hardly a cloud in the sky, the smell of freshly mowed grass wafting on the cool breeze... ahhh, I got started. I geared up, putting on my knee pads... poor old knees have GOT to have knee pads... on went my belt with my finds bag and my digger tool.. slipped on my gloves.. and lastly put my headphones on and tuned in to that magical sound of a happy metal detector raring to go. Sweeeet! I kind of wished I had put my sunglasses on too though. Have you ever been blinded by the sun reflecting off your detector's display screen? OUCH! I'm still seeing spots.
My first find of the day was a truck! It would prove to be portentious as I would later discover.

5-29-08 009truck.jpg

Of course there were the usual mix of pull tabs, bottle caps, cans and can slaw, and oddball bits and scraps of metal and wire. That aside, there were coins. LOTS OF COINS! Now just coming off of a Holiday weekend (Memorial Day) and the park has been VERY busy with baseball season in full swing (along with softball and Tee-Ball), I figured I'd get lucky and find some clad laying around in the grass. Oh I did, but not nearly as much as I thought I would find. Instead I found a LOT of clad, but IN the ground. That kind of puzzled me because I've been all over this park, grid searched it even, and I thought I had done a fairly good job of cleaning it up. Guess not! I was finding all kinds of coins in the dirt, in and under the grass roots, some as deep as two or three inches down. Quarters.. (YEAH), and dimes.. a bunch of dimes.. and Pennies.. LOTS of pennies! I probably spent as much time on my knees digging as I did standing up swinging my detector. WEEEE DOGGIES!
Not everything was in the dirt though. I did find some things on or at the surface. Like this little earring and the Pink Puppy thingy (has a screw on the reverse side?)

5-29-08 006pup&Earring.jpg

I found this button that I thought for sure was a small bit of gold till I picked it up.. had me going for a second. <blushing>

5-29-08 001button.jpg

I found this one quarter about three inches down in the dirt, which is odd for the date on it, but odder still was the way it was folded over. I guess it was hit by a mower or something, it doesn't look as if it's been cut though.. weird.

5-29-08 004folded.jpg

And I found this Clown laying around by the concession stand..

5-29-08 005clown.jpg

After cleaning up a nice little pocket spill (had to dig that one) of a dime, a nickle and several pennies, I swept around the base of a flowering shrub by one of the duggouts.. and got a rather substantial Ping. Hmmmm.. showing a quarter/fifty cent piece on my Prizm's display (after tilting it out of the glare of the sun). I got down on my hands and knees and used my bullseye to locate it.. it was a coin.. a Brand Spanking new John Quincy Adams Presidential DOLLAR coin! COOL!

5-29-08 002JQA.jpg

Getting back up and out of habit I swung my detector back over the same spot.. PING! I still had a target Beeping at me. Back on my knees I went.. bullseye in hand and under the bush I crawled. I found another JQA Dollar coin! Now I was grinning from ear to ear like a fool... At this point, not counting the other Dollar coin, I'd already found close on EIGHT dollars in clad. This made my day! Or so I thought, before getting back out from under the bush and standing up I swept my bullseye around a bit more.. and BZZZZZZZZZZZZ ??? Yep. A THIRD JQA Dollar coin! HOW MANY ARE THERE UNDER HERE? <laughing> I must have made quite a sight for anyone walking by about then. Some guy crawled into the shrubs on his hands and knees.. trailing a metal detector that was still connected by the earphone jack cord.. feet and, <ahem> backside sticking out and probably girating suspiciously as I poked and swept my bullseye pinpointer around looking for any more coins. Finally, after several minutes of further searching, albeit unsuccessfully, I crawled back out and stood up.. and commenced with the happy dance. You know the one.. the little Hop Skip and twirl.. kind of like the chicken dance. <laughing>

5-29-08 002JQAs.jpg

Well I could have ended my day there after finding the third dollar coin, but I'm just pig headed sometimes, or hard headed, or just plain crazy.. you take your pick. Anyway, I kept detecting. And I kept finding, a penny here, a dime there, here a quarter, there a quarter. <Big Cheesey Grin>
When I noticed that people were starting to show up for practice or games or whatever, and I noticed the time was, well, after school hours, I headed for the car. I found more coins on the way too. <grin> I was just putting my detector in the trunk when my wife called and asked me what I was doing. Yeah right! "Uh.. just fiddle farting around dear.. why?" <laughing> She told me she was finished with her function and was heading home. I told her I had to make a stop at the grocery but would meet her at home. I was NOT going to have leftovers for dinner after having a day like today. I was going to do some grilling while I was chilling and filling my better half in on my fantastic day.
And that I did. Grilled chicken breasts, fresh green beans and, ok hum drum, mashed potatoes... nice glass or two of iced tea and then chilled mixed fruit for desert. Then I got down to sorting and counting and seeing what all I stuffed in my finds bag. SHEEESH! I had a GREAT DAY!~
Not only did I find that tiny little earring (gold by the way.. even if it's miniscule).. and the THREE, count'em THREE BRAND NEW JOHN QUINCY ADAMS PRESIDENTIAL DOLLAR COINS!.. I also found another $12.10 in clad! What a note to end the vacation on huh? I'm a happy camper!
Well here's the picture of all my day's finds.

5-29-08 001everything.jpg

I'm going to keep looking at this one for a while I'm sure. I already know I'll probably have quite a dry spell of lesser finds after a day like today. But what the hell. I'll take it.

Here are a few other pics of the stuff I found today, a chain,

5-29-08 008chain.jpg

An inline filter of somesort.. mesh on copper..

5-29-08 011filter.jpg

A BIG Chain link piece.. (face)..

5-29-08 007link.jpg

And lastly.. this partial die cast metal toy car or whatzit.. <shrug>

5-29-08 010whatzit.jpg

Hope you all find time to get out and do some detecting. And as always..

Happy Hunting Everyone !

Frodov

Upvote 0

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: One's a FIND, Two's a Joy!, Three's a HAPPY DANCE!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Now thats a heck of a day. Congrats. :icon_pirat:

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Super Frodov! $15 bucks from a half day at one field...precious! Great hunt & great story (as usual) (ahem)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frod, ya did dang GRRRRRREAT :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The watzit thing looks like part of a bicycle chain .Great hall.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frodov , I really love your posts, I thought i was addicted to MD-ing . Man those dollars are sweet !!!

If you keep up these clad finds , your going to have to find a Brinks truck to pack it all home. Congrats

on a great day out ! Gregory, Santa Fe.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a pretty good day. Those are the things that keep us coming back.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frodove, your stories and commentary are always the best and the finds are super as well. Keep it up!

R

RUDY2003

Wonderful day Fro!!!!! Very impressive pile of coin and gold too.......

Keep safe...

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice finds Fro. Probably an Ohioan who dropped those $1 coins. I will take them from you and redestribute them back he in Dayton--to help the economy, of course.

Thats a great haul.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

SoreKneesDayton said:
Very nice finds Fro. Probably an Ohioan who dropped those $1 coins. I will take them from you and redestribute them back he in Dayton--to help the economy, of course.

Thats a great haul.

<smiling> Why thank you Knees! What a Pal! What nice guy! <laughing> Unfortunately someone a little closer to home has already taken a shine to those shiny new dollar coins.. the missus. I know what's good for me.. letting HER have them. <grin> I'll keep looking for more though...

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe

Frodov, a couple more of those hunts and the detector will be paid for. You had a great day and made a killing on the clad!! 8)

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like you didn't leave anything for the rest of us to find.

You had a very good last day of vacation. WTG :thumbsup: Hope you have many more.

RickyP

Feb 13, 2008
Prairieville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Explorer SE, Whites DFX

Frodov,

You need to post a video of that happy dance so I'll know what to do if ever I find three of 'em ..nice ones :wav:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Frodov, a couple more of those hunts and the detector will be paid for. You had a great day and made a killing on the clad!! 8)

Oh it's paid for already Johnny... <grin> By the clad I found last summer. Then the found money paid for a vacation stay at the end of the year.. and again this year. I may not find as much or as old as some people, but what I do find usually gets put to good use. <grin> Got to love a hobby that pays for itself!

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star

Fro ya just keep amazin me with the sweet finds! that sounds like it was a terrific day hunting and ended with a nice dinner date with Mrs Fro, how can ya ever top that?

HH
Slipperyjack

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

Slipperyjack47 said:
Fro ya just keep amazin me with the sweet finds! that sounds like it was a terrific day hunting and ended with a nice dinner date with Mrs Fro, how can ya ever top that?

HH
Slipperyjack

I don't know if I can "top" that.. but I'll certainly keep hunting.. and keep cooking for my better half.. <grin> I know which side my bread is buttered on after all. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used

RickyP said:
Frodov,

You need to post a video of that happy dance so I'll know what to do if ever I find three of 'em ..nice ones :wav:

Well Ricky, the "happy dance" is open to interpretation. There is no real set "step" pattern to follow it's very very free form in nature. No two people ever or very rarely perform the same "happy dance". I'd be embarrasse to even try to record my left footed, uncoordinated rendition of the dance. No, the Happy Dance is all "spur of the moment" and un rehearsed. When you find something that just sets you off, you WILL do the Happy Dance too.. but it will be YOUR version of it. It comes from within, not through learning. Enjoy!

Happy Hunting !

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread