Only detecting iron

JRigs

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using my father's radio shack detector until I can afford to buy the one I want. It's a rebranded bounty hunter. Sorry I'm not sure what model.

I've discovered that it detects iron targets very well, but will only detect any other targets if they are within one inch of the coil. For example, it will only detect a quarter if I hold it in the center of the coil within at least one or two inches from the base of the coil.

I have replaced the batteries and checked the cable connection. I'm using it in all metal mode with the sensitivity all the way up. Changing ground balance has no effect. Can someone please help me?

image.jpg

OP
OP
J

JRigs

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did some more testing and found that it will detect coins 6 inches away from the coil if in disc mode. The disc mode on this machine is very difficult to pinpoint with.

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 used with no instructions. I found a video on Youtube that showed how to set it up and use it. Do a search and maybe you can find one for the Radio shack model that you have

JimK

OP
OP
J

JRigs

Sep 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem solved. It was user error. I took JimK's advice and found the video below, and from it learned that I wasn't using the all metal ground balancing / ground trac thing correctly. It works much better now, although, still only detecting coins within 4" in an air test.

Thanks Jim

http://youtu.be/BFxtAHy4vtU?t=16m15s

Last edited:

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That unit is the Discovery 3000 and I wrote a review of that unit years ago. It is actually a very nice detector-- similar to the Land Star. You need to set the discrimination function or notch settings properly in order to filter out iron targets. If you do not have access to the manual, you can learn a bit about the notch settings on my review.

Discovery 3000

The notch control is explained in this article:

QuickDraw II

Check out the illustration on the left.

Good Luck with the machine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread