Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about this for awhile, let me know your thoughts.

I was thinking that when I have my garage sale, I would give in change common wheat pennies, halve dollars, 2 dollar bills as change. Now they would only get one of the items depending on how much they bought. Only those who bought something would get the "special" change. I would not give this to those who would want to buy them for face. Do you think this would encourage people to buy stuff just to get the "special" change? What are the pros and cons about this? Thanks for your input in advance.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Only if the buyer was into that stuff. Now, maybe you could put up a sign with the offer "upon request."

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's cool. Everyone loves an incentive, and thats a good one. I think most people who go to yard sales would be interested in that kind of thing, just for the curiosity of it.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
We gave out halves and Ikes at my sister's garage sale, and the response was very, very positive.

Of course, I had piles of halves since I was coin roll hunting back then, and gladly sold several rolls of halves.

If you can get the halves, I suggest that you sort them, and then sell as many as anyone wants to buy.

If you can get $2 bills, you might set a few out for $2.50 each...you might be surprised.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you start giving real u.s. Gold Dollars & Silver as change
let me know, I'll come buy that pair of sneakers off you.
Get ready though, I'll be bringing a $100.bill will need Lots of change :laughing7:

actually may not be a bad idea at regular weekly yard sales.
once word of mouth gets around some would show up just to
buy something/anything

Whether it wouold work on a one and done yard sale, probably not so much,
but could still be fun seeing faces

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on where you live, I can't recall ever getting penny's (of any type) in change, The lowest denomination here seems to be a quarter, The $2.00 bills would work though. GL................Scott.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes to insure giving out pennies it would either need to be in groups of 5's
or you would have to price accordingly & Insist on selling that item for 98 cents :laughing7:
Not 90, not $1.00

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about this for awhile, let me know your thoughts.

I was thinking that when I have my garage sale, I would give in change common wheat pennies, halve dollars, 2 dollar bills as change. Now they would only get one of the items depending on how much they bought. Only those who bought something would get the "special" change. I would not give this to those who would want to buy them for face. Do you think this would encourage people to buy stuff just to get the "special" change? What are the pros and cons about this? Thanks for your input in advance.

I would definitely buy more at a yard sale like this. Maybe a surprise envelope with purchase. That way they don't know what they will get with the purchase.

Have fun!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to dog your idea but this sounds like a gimmick to me.

We are talking about a yard sale right? Or are you planning on selling stuff in a retail setting?

Do you really expect to develop a customer base/following at your yard sale? Who stops at yard sales long enough to even notice that there is a "promotion"?

Now, to put a positive spin on my post, may I recommend giving out donuts and coffee at your yard sale. In my opinion, that will keep people happy and might even encourage people to buy something.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to dog your idea but this sounds like a gimmick to me.

We are talking about a yard sale right? Or are you planning on selling stuff in a retail setting?

Do you really expect to develop a customer base/following at your yard sale? Who stops at yard sales long enough to even notice that there is a "promotion"?

Now, to put a positive spin on my post, may I recommend giving out donuts and coffee at your yard sale. In my opinion, that will keep people happy and might even encourage people to buy something.

Yes it is a gimmick. The first thing people around here ask, do you have any old coins? My response would be yes only to be given out in change when you buy something. I am not looking to develop a customer base just sale stuff at a yard sale. People looking for coins, gold or silver are not going to buy anything anyway so no lose there. Donuts are a good idea but I have to pay the city to have a yard sale. Don't want to start to far in the hole. When giving change I would say "hey cool, you got a wheat penny or will you take a 2 dollar bill in your change". It would be an incentive to buy something plus it would be fun to watch them look thru their change.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you start giving real u.s. Gold Dollars & Silver as change
let me know, I'll come buy that pair of sneakers off you.
Get ready though, I'll be bringing a $100.bill will need Lots of change :laughing7:

I will put you on my mailing list.

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creative idea. Kids may buy stuff too in order to get the cool coins... so have some toys for sell too. Priced at 98 or 99 cent increments? Another way to promote the idea is by posting your garage sale for free on Craigslist. Maybe mention the coin change option there. To keep the hounds down maybe say something like "all purchases over $5 may get a surprise"

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you.

JMB

Graceful

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting idea! There was a "vintage" kind of shop here in OK that gave $2 bills in change because of their anniversary! I thought it was great=-)

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
Just food for thought here...technically, all those old coins ARE STILL RECOGNIZED BY THE GOVT AT FACE VALUE.
IE: A silver dime is still worth ten cents, a silver dollar is still worth a dollar.

Imagine if merchants got together and would only accept silver money for their respective goods.

But I think think this is a great Idea, too bad I'm not in your area...I be at your yard sale bright n early.

TFCK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions