Only Took Five Minutes to Find Silver!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey guys!

It's been a little while. I've been traveling like crazy the last couple weeks. I've been to LA, Spokane and Georgia. All good things but no time to detect.

I decided that if I got a lot done this afternoon I was going to sneak in some detecting time. Well, I talked to the woman 3 doors down and she said she'd be fine with me trying the sidewalk strips in front of her house. That gave me all the motivation I needed to work hard this afternoon!

My third dig of the day was the 47-S Rosie. Not much for some, but you take your silvers however you can get them in Seattle.

I kept at it for while and a managed a few other keepers. 3 wheats, two of which were in the same hole. Also, the 1960 Hong Kong 50 cent piece. It rang up like a nickel, sure would've been nice if it had been silver!

My DFX seemed like it was crapping out on me. The old puppy is 10+ years old and has served its time like a champ. I started the hunt with full batteries and it probably turned off on me for no reason 4 times throughout the 1 hour 15 minute hunt. The only way I could get it to turn back on was to remove the battery pack and put it back in again. Has anyone had this happen before?

Anyways, here are the keepers:
-1947-S Rosie
-1960 HK 50 cent piece
-3 Wheat Pennies (25-S, 29-S, 57-S)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507333728.986027.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507333743.479852.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1507333754.925486.jpg

Thanks for looking and luck in the hunt!
-W

Upvote 16

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One silver dime is all it takes to make my day!

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Hope you DFX pulls through.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver is silver! And you want to CLEAN the contacts on your battery pack AND the "springy things" that contact the battery in your machine. THEN...you want to reach down in there with a long handled right angle pick and pull those "springy things" out a bit so that it restores a bit of compression when contacting the battery. Use a quality contact cleaner like Deoxit that you can get from Radio Shack to clean everything. Take the time to do it right and it should be just fine for a very long time...IF this is the problem,which it usually is.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice finds...Congrats !!

OP
OP
washingtonian

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Silver is silver! And you want to CLEAN the contacts on your battery pack AND the "springy things" that contact the battery in your machine. THEN...you want to reach down in there with a long handled right angle pick and pull those "springy things" out a bit so that it restores a bit of compression when contacting the battery. Use a quality contact cleaner like Deoxit that you can get from Radio Shack to clean everything. Take the time to do it right and it should be just fine for a very long time...IF this is the problem,which it usually is.

Wow, thank you! I appreciate the insight. Also, thanks for your kind words on the finds everyone!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver, digging the HK copper I'd be expecting a LC or a Token when first seeing it in the dirt. :)
A good spraying of contact cleaner, also the compression of the battery pack might be an issue. Had one pack holder on the Minelab start to do the same, the plastic clip was getting lazy, so it didn't lock in the pack tight enough.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Finds! :occasion14:

IMHO: I believe "IDXMonster" has it right! After a hunt, I remove the battery from my Minelabs & Whites since they have "spring loaded" contacts; this relieves the continual stress on the contacts when not needed for detector operation. Over time (years) they will fatigue and bend in the opposite direction of the battery creating an intermittent shut-down power problem.

Regards,

Doc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread