Op. "Forlorn Hope"

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got back in the saddle today, albeit in a limited role..I hit a location which is roughly 150-175 yards away from a Revolutionary war battle site (perfectly legal) in which on July 16, 1779 a battle incurred where Sir Henry Clinton's men were defending a fort on the Hudson river when "Mad" Anthony Wayne and his crack "Forlorn Hope" soldiers "General Wayne chose the recently formed Light Infantry Brigade, consisting of 1,200 of the best soldiers in the Continental Army, for the assault."

That being said, on a beach roughly 25 yards long I started to hunt, first hit followed by four more yielded these strange heavy round balls, I do not think they are cannon/canister ordinance because I have found them before and they looked nothing like this.
5.jpg
6.jpg

Then I get a coin hit about 5 ft away, This one has me spellbound, while the coin is clearly cooked, given the location and the very faint design on it, it "May" be a colonial. Thinking initially, it may be a rotted large cent, I compared the two together, nope the unknown coin is bigger...hmm...I may do a charcoal etching with paper to see if I can draw any design out of it, kinda like whats done with tombstones.
7.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

O and two bottles, a Larkin co and an unknown
1.jpg

Overall..
2.jpg

Upvote 7
OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I may be stretching a little (hell...stretching it a lot)..Out of the design I think I see
3B.jpg

it could be one of these two, because its the only thing I "think" it could be
pine.jpg oak.jpg

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The two coins you're comparing yours to are silver. Yours has the green copper oxide corrosion, so it's highly unlikely that yours is a Pine Tree coin.

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two coins you're comparing yours to are silver. Yours has the green copper oxide corrosion, so it's highly unlikely that yours is a Pine Tree coin.

Probably right, its been at least three weeks since I have been hunting due to my fractured ankle so I trying to work the rust out with ID'ng and such..I am clueless to what it could be...I guess I'll never know..

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably right, its been at least three weeks since I have been hunting due to my fractured ankle so I trying to work the rust out with ID'ng and such..I am clueless to what it could be...I guess I'll never know..

What's the diameter (mm)?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I just stared and stared but didn't see much in the coin. My first intuition is an old Large Cent with it's raised rim and the fact that the copper used often corrodes. What does the other side look like? Was the other side in the 2nd picture or was that the same side with corrosion removed?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
MuckyBottles

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just stared and stared but didn't see much in the coin. My first intuition is an old Large Cent with it's raised rim and the fact that the copper used often corrodes. What does the other side look like? Was the other side in the 2nd picture or was that the same side with corrosion removed?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Thats what I thought until i compared the two..the cooked one is bigger

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds, I am wondering if your cooked coin is English :dontknow:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was my thought as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread