Opals....

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Thanx, fossis...I looked on e-bay to find a comparison piece and could only find chips...One of the pieces that my friend showed me covered my whole hand and was about two and ahalf inchs thick...

Upvote 0

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
I collect all kinds of opals and would love to see some pics if possible. I am not an expert by any means just a hobby I have been into for about 10 years now..I might be interested if they are for sale.

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldgoat

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Sorry, I haven't been up here in a while, been trying out my new hours at work, they switched me from nites to days....thank you for the links.
The biggest problem I have with this guy is that he is so afraid of being ripped off that he won't even take them into an appraiser...I've offered to take him but I think that he believes that we would be in cahoots...lol. Unfortunately, he could really use the money, but he'll sit on these rocks until he starves...

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I just did a quick search for "Opal rough" online. There are some good sites that show and tell and have prices, so check them out and print some pages to show the person you want to deal with.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
Oldgoat;

Be careful when valuing opals.

They contain water. If the water is sealed-in, they will retain their look. If the water dries out, they will loose their quality.

If you search the Web, you will see some that are stored in water. Will they "dry out" when removed from water storage and formed into gem stones?

They should be stored dry for some period of time before valued. Then sawing them down could cut into a weak spot, and water loss could occur. Slabbing them down before dry storage would likely be better.

eethr

Upvote 0

mirkaba

Dec 7, 2004
Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Opals vary greatly in their valuation. Lightning Ridge is the highest value opal and boulder the lowest. Don't know much about the Mexican opal. A couple years ago I cut a 600.00 stone out of a 3.00 piece of rough. 9x14 mm N1 black, bright red flash. I am a confirmed opalholic. Go to opalauctions.com for info.....Bob

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread