Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years back, I took a brief foray into 3D printing. Open source (both hardware and software) are pretty big in that hobby. I did my typical research, and bought an open source kit from a well-known (in that hobby) company.

It got me to wondering, is there a niche of DIY detectorists developing/using open source tech for metal detecting?
If so, where, and if not, why not? The current thread on What company has the best metal Detecting engineering got me thinking about this some more.

I did a very little poking around on google for something, but there's not much.

Upvote 1

RelicFinder77

Oct 21, 2022
A few years back, I took a brief foray into 3D printing. Open source (both hardware and software) are pretty big in that hobby. I did my typical research, and bought an open source kit from a well-known (in that hobby) company.

It got me to wondering, is there a niche of DIY detectorists developing/using open source tech for metal detecting?
If so, where, and if not, why not? The current thread on What company has the best metal Detecting engineering got me thinking about this some more.

I did a very little poking around on google for something, but there's not much.
Awesome question. I cant wait to see the answers. Thank you.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a thought, no research, but you might check out the Raspberry Pi. It's an open source electronic circuit board with supporting software for many things. If it hasn't been done on a Raspberry I'm sure it could be. Might take some research and tinkering.

OP
OP
Bucket Lister

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a thought, no research, but you might check out the Raspberry Pi. It's an open source electronic circuit board with supporting software for many things. If it hasn't been done on a Raspberry I'm sure it could be. Might take some research and tinkering.

Yes, I'm familiar with the Pis; they're pretty ubiquitous in 3D printing. A lot of what I found searching metal detecting raspberry pi appears to be geared toward mine detection efforts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions