Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I or some members of our club have been stopped at the beach or been called at home about a lost item. These people have told us where, when and how they lost the jewelry and if we could help them find it. I and most of my fellow hunters have gone out , found and returned the lost item. There are several people we do not share this information with because in the past they went and recovered the item then sold it for scrap , knowing who it belonged to.
My question is this: Do you consider this action, recover the item and selling it, proper or is it Finders Keepers?
I feel if this information is given to you it should be returned, it is not like finding jewelry and doing research to return it.

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

tincansam

Jun 7, 2011
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have had people call and ask me to find rings they have lost and i have found them and returned it to them. if i can do a good deed and find someones lost ring or whatever it is they have lost & they tell me where it is and i find it even days later im going to return it to them. bottom line for me if i find something and i can find the owner i will return it. the way it makes you feel doing something good for someone is payment enough for me. :icon_sunny:

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
From a Christian perspective, Leviticus Ch#6 v. 4-5 "if he finds lost property and lies about it, or swears falsely...... he must make restitution in full plus add a fifth of the value and return it to the owner". In Romans 13: 9, "Love your neighbor as yourself". I could go on with many other examples that make it pretty clear, but as many have already said, if you know who the owner of the property is you should return it to them, no questions asked. The Bible is filled with occasions when Israel rebelled against God, yet expected God to bless them. In fact, God turned His back many times on Israel and witheld his blessings when they rebelled against him....... When all else fails, try following the manufacturer's directions..... Eternity is a long, long time.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
If approached by someone who has lost a ring, asking your help in finding it:

you have to decide how to handle the search, recovery and return.

There is a difference between someone losing an item and someone claiming to lose an item. How does a guy tell the difference?

Well, usually there is a description of the item, as well as information on how to return it: inscribed name, stone description, size, etc. Place lost helps a lot.

But it is still the detectorists' right to negotiate a finder's fee for their labor, work, and return time.

Similarly, if you lose a gold ring, you would offer a reward for the return of the ring, wouldn't you?
I see no problem asking for a finders fee up front.....some people do, some don't...its up to the individual.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all boils down to just what the finder has for Moral
and/or Ethical standards. (JMHO) If the standards are
well founded, then the finder does the right thing and
returns the found property to the owner if at all possible.
If not, then it will cause problems for the finder down the
road when the truth finally comes out from a slip of the
tongue to someone. Like what Montauk3 said "But, right
is right and wrong is wrong". Gold Nuggets :hello:

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theft is theft. If I find a ring and the info is inside, I'll do my best to return it. If asked to find something, I'll do my darnedest to find it and return it.

I've become friends here in Vancouver with a guy who runs a website and youtube page doing ring finds and returns. He videotapes his hunts and the returns.

The site is www.theringfinders.com and http://www.youtube.com/user/TurnersTreasureTeam
There's guys from all over the world on his site who do this. I'll probably join and get listed once I have a ATPro to backup my PI machine.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave44 said:
Chug and Red said:
My question is this: Do you consider this action, recover the item and selling it, proper or is it Finders Keepers?

Our feeling is this, Its theft and Depending on the Value It could Be a Felony!!! If you agree to find or attempt to find a Lost Item You have Entered a Verbal contract!!! Weather It Leagal Does not Matter It will Come Back to Haunt you!!!!!

I have Been approached a few times to Find a Ring and Never Found a Lost item Yet!!! Even though I still try!!!!! and Keep the Info In My wallet and will Call them If i ever do!!!! Chug and Red

I can agree with this. Good post.

I am in agreement here to. The legal contract; My Word Is My Honer. :headbang:
I like the business card in the hat.
A way for us to coordinate when I am on solid footing.

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
I agree completely with DewGuru, I have also told people to post on craigslist and they never have. I will do all I can to return a lost item however attitude does play into it. Recently, on Siesta Key I observed three people on a rather rough day obviously searching in the water for something they lost. My chance to be a hero, I got over to them, told them I was metal detecting and could I help them find something, the nice young lady said they had lost a pair of prescription sunglasses. After telling I would see if I could help I heard her companion say to the third (what a dumba--) They are made out of plastic and glass, then they all laughed. Let me tell you I hunted real hard for an hour just so I could step on them, alas the strong waves had taken them down to turtle beach or beyond.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I went to a flea market many years ago (20+) when I was stationed in another state, (North Carolina), when I was fairly new to this great hobby. There was this one table a man was selling all sorts of rings. He must have had well over 100 high school, and college rings, not to mention silver and gold rings to numerous to count. Some rings had the stone pried out of them. I ask him about the rings. He said he found them with his metal detector, in the local area. I told him I was new to the hobby and ask him why he didn't try to return the rings. His answers was finders keepers, and it cost time and money so he was selling them. Anyway they didn't care enough to try and find the ring. I thanked him for the information and walked away. While I was totally amazed about the quantity of rings he had found, it made me sick just to think someone in this great hobby would be this way. It seems he thought of this as a business and was in it for the money. I thought this hobby was about discovering things that had been lost, and discovering the story about the item. Like a ring, a civil war button, we all know the feeling when we find those items. I vowed never to be this person ever. If I find a ring that is identifiable or ask to find a ring and find it. It will always be returned. Because the rewards are in the smiles of the owners, that they were reunited with something they thought they would never see again,and the wonderful feeling in my heart.
Oh Les! It's time to pack up the detector and head out to the beaches. A nice minus tide is fast approaching even if it's raining this morning, time to see what awaits me on the sandy beaches, and surf of Tampa Bay! Hope to see you out there soon!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kc10bull said:
I went to a flea market many years ago (20+) when I was stationed in another state, (North Carolina), when I was fairly new to this great hobby. There was this one table a man was selling all sorts of rings. He must have had well over 100 high school, and college rings, not to mention silver and gold rings to numerous to count. Some rings had the stone pried out of them. I ask him about the rings. He said he found them with his metal detector, in the local area. I told him I was new to the hobby and ask him why he didn't try to return the rings. His answers was finders keepers, and it cost time and money so he was selling them. Anyway they didn't care enough to try and find the ring. I thanked him for the information and walked away. While I was totally amazed about the quantity of rings he had found, it made me sick just to think someone in this great hobby would be this way. It seems he thought of this as a business and was in it for the money. I thought this hobby was about discovering things that had been lost, and discovering the story about the item. Like a ring, a civil war button, we all know the feeling when we find those items. I vowed never to be this person ever. If I find a ring that is identifiable or ask to find a ring and find it. It will always be returned. Because the rewards are in the smiles of the owners, that they were reunited with something they thought they would never see again,and the wonderful feeling in my heart.
Oh Les! It's time to pack up the detector and head out to the beaches. A nice minus tide is fast approaching even if it's raining this morning, time to see what awaits me on the sandy beaches, and surf of Tampa Bay! Hope to see you out there soon!

I Can understand that attitude from some.
I Met a Man in his late 70's about 10 years ago.

His Comment was, I Throw them in a drawer,
When I Die the Grandkids can do what they want with Everything.

Odds are He and Many others just have No idea How
to research, or just plain have no Interest
in researching.

in the older Gentlemens case,
My guess if he was asked to find a ring,
he probably forgot, even IF He found it later.

Do I Consider him / them Thieves ? No

I was asked to find many rings,
one was a junk ring, I found 2 years later,
& even though it was Junk I returned it,
making him & His wife very Happy.
Of course I don't mind Research or Keeping records
of Requests.

I stand by the fact if Asked to find an Item,
& You already have the Info needed to Locate the owner,
It's theft if you find it and Don't admit it.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I hate when people post exact locations of their lost item on craigslist because I know there are some who would go find it and keep it. If you know the owner it gets returned. done

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Chug and Red said:

Our feeling is this, Its theft and Depending on the Value It could Be a Felony!!! If you agree to find or attempt to find a Lost Item You have Entered a Verbal contract!!! Weather It Leagal Does not Matter It will Come Back to Haunt you!!!!!

I have Been approached a few times to Find a Ring and Never Found a Lost item Yet!!! Even though I still try!!!!! and Keep the Info In My wallet and will Call them If i ever do!!!! Chug and Red
If you find a lost object that you did not steal, it is a found object for you and yours to keep. Finders Keepers is not a legal term.

I'm not certain I understand your second thought, Chug and Red. If you find a lost coin do you make a concerted effort to return it to its rightful owner? Mostly we find things we weren't told about.

Then there's the factor of age and research. If you find a name inside a ring, and a date that indicates the object is over 80 years old, are you going to track down the descendants?

A lot of my research comes from old newspapers, specifically lost and found ads. They used to be free, but most newspapers can no longer afford to run them. As the newspaper lost ads sometimes have old phone #'s to contact, how is today's finder supposed to track down who lost them? If no address is given in the original ad, or name, or current phone #, I think the object is found in the law, and becomes yours to do with as you wish.

Similarly, if you find a ring or other valuable object which you can place with a specific person, it remains theirs. But most rings I find are over 30 years old, and do not have names engraved on them.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
petersra said:
From a Christian perspective, Leviticus Ch#6 v. 4-5 "if he finds lost property and lies about it, or swears falsely...... he must make restitution in full plus add a fifth of the value and return it to the owner". In Romans 13: 9, "Love your neighbor as yourself". I could go on with many other examples that make it pretty clear, but as many have already said, if you know who the owner of the property is you should return it to them, no questions asked. The Bible is filled with occasions when Israel rebelled against God, yet expected God to bless them. In fact, God turned His back many times on Israel and witheld his blessings when they rebelled against him....... When all else fails, try following the manufacturer's directions..... Eternity is a long, long time.
Some of the biggest treasures in the world are described in the so-called copper scroll of the Dead Seas Scrolls.

Should you find one of those, are you going to give it back? To whom? Their descendant 35 generations removed?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bumpstick said:
I am in agreement here to. The legal contract; My Word Is My Honer. :headbang:
I like the business card in the hat.
A way for us to coordinate when I am on solid footing.
Sorry. I don't know what Honer is. Apparently you don't either. Therefore your "legal contract" is somewhat undecided. Hone means to sharpen, as to hone a hook. So honer is a sharpener? English is a poor language. But it's the best we've got.

Maybe you meant Honor?

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you find a valuable item by law you are to return it to the police and after a certain amount of time has gone by and no one reports the lost said item, then it becomes yours to do what you want with! Dose this happen? Not that much..... but it is technically the law. To look up lost items in newspaper adds and go out to find that item to keep for yourself that's pretty much a sad lonely person! Carma comes back good and bad!

SnT

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
FSS said:
I have returned three wedding bands and a set of keys this year. Last year a sweet fifteen ring to a little girl that was so happy for it's return. I don't chase lost ring classified ads,but I will be willing to help out if asked in person.
I knew it !! I knew there was a silver lining somewhere in that black heart of yours my friend !!! It's not all true what they say about you after all !! >grin< :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Chug and Red said:

If you find a lost object that you did not steal, it is a found object for you and yours to keep. Finders Keepers is not a legal term.

I'm not certain I understand your second thought, Chug and Red. If you find a lost coin do you make a concerted effort to return it to its rightful owner? Mostly we find things we weren't told about.

Then there's the factor of age and research. If you find a name inside a ring, and a date that indicates the object is over 80 years old, are you going to track down the descendants?

A lot of my research comes from old newspapers, specifically lost and found ads. They used to be free, but most newspapers can no longer afford to run them. As the newspaper lost ads sometimes have old phone #'s to contact, how is today's finder supposed to track down who lost them? If no address is given in the original ad, or name, or current phone #, I think the object is found in the law, and becomes yours to do with as you wish.

Similarly, if you find a ring or other valuable object which you can place with a specific person, it remains theirs. But most rings I find are over 30 years old, and do not have names engraved on them.
A found object is not yours to keep, you better check the law in your state. Every state is different but they all say you must turn in a found item. They have a minimum value on the object, say $50 for example, so people dont turn in a quarter. If the object isnt claimed in a certain amount of time, it is given to the finder. They dont enforce this law, but it is a law. I wouldnt go around saying a found object is yours to keep. Sory sumwuns spelin upsetts you sow muchh.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
lookindown said:
Tuberale said:

A found object is not yours to keep, you better check the law in your state.
Already did.
> Every state is different but they all say you must turn in a found item. They have a minimum value on the object, say $50 for example, so people dont turn in a quarter. If the object isnt claimed in a certain amount of time, it is given to the finder.
In Oregon, the object must be worth more than $100. Until recently, that didn't include common gold objects such as small rings. But now it applies to almost any object with any gold in it.
> They dont enforce this law, but it is a law. I wouldnt go around saying a found object is yours to keep. Sory sumwuns spelin upsetts you sow muchh.
Poor spelling is a sign of poor spelling, nothing more.

It bothers me, perhaps more than others, because I used to earn a living as a proof-reader.

Butt if ur hapy wit it, god fer U.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
surfnturf said:
When you find a valuable item by law you are to return it to the police and after a certain amount of time has gone by and no one reports the lost said item, then it becomes yours to do what you want with! Dose this happen? Not that much..... but it is technically the law. To look up lost items in newspaper adds and go out to find that item to keep for yourself that's pretty much a sad lonely person! Carma comes back good and bad!

SnT
Poor poor person. Not many people still around from 1910-1920. That's where I do most of my research in.

True, you are supposed to turn in to the police any found object worth over $100 (at least in Oregon). But it would be wise to get a receipt for the object. The police in Oregon have been known to keep any object turned in to them for themselves, and not notify the original finder.

Ethical? No. Legal? Oddly, yes.

OP
OP
Les West Central Fl

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
lookindown said:
Tuberale said:

Never said Finders Keepers was a legal term, it is a term or quote children often say. Are we not all children at heart??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread