digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Was metal detecting yesteday on a farm next to the Mazon River. I had a signal which was directly under this. The signal was another square nail, but I thought this piece of lime stone was interesting enough where I had to ask some questions about it.

About a quarter mile on the other side of the river is a well known Native American camp. Off limits to hunt because it's on private property. The river in that area has produced alot of artifacts in the past.

I guess my question is, did they use limestone for any type of tools/weapons?

Me thinking is, water erosion, or maybe a dissolve root, but I didn't want to leave behind just in case.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for looking! HH DSCF1502.JPG DSCF1503.JPG DSCF1507.JPG DSCF1509.JPG

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
natural would be my guess

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
folk used whatever they had to work with so yes, limestone while not a first choice was used for lack of better stone. we see lots of quarts points on this site...hard to work with and most are pretty crude...but you use what you have to work with.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
folk used whatever they had to work with so yes, limestone while not a first choice was used for lack of better stone. we see lots of quarts points on this site...hard to work with and most are pretty crude...but you use what you have to work with.

quartz i mean quartz...geez how embarrassing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread