**OPINION** What do you do with your treasure?

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep all my coins in jars, but the best (old coins and relics) go in a display in my computer/reading room. Planning on selling my coins one day. I don't keep scrap metal but some here do and sell it when the bucket is full and get more money from the hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

asrussell96

Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT/Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things like aluminum I throw it with my recycling.....Most Iron objects (nails, etc.) I usually throw away unless it is a col object. Coins I keep 1 of every year and mintmark. Other odds and ends it depends on how cool they are.....Tokens I always keep. I love tokens....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm like probably 80% of us in that I have never found anything so valuable that I needed to worry about what to do with it. I still have everything I've ever found.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I treasure my treasure. :icon_thumright:

I started dirt fishing in the spring of 2014, I suspect that someday I will scrap the 2 gold rings I've dug, and may even sell a coin or two, but for now I just look at them as my rewards for the time I have invested and also to keep the motivation running high. I do have a few 5 gallon buckets in the garage for brass, copper and lead. All other metals go in the trash.

At the end of every season I deposit my cleaned and rolled clad into my hobby account and then hit the coinstar machine with my pennies.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, show it at my club meetings first, then it gets stuffed into various places - blanks in my coin collection, safe deposit box, and the clad at the bank.
Very little shelf space limits what I can display.

OP
OP
The Urban Prospector

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
So I pretty much keep everything except for trash. I suppose the next question is "what is trash"? I consider trash anything other than what somebody hoped to keep. That being said, I am desperately in need of organizing and throwing alot of stuff out. I like Loco-Digger's bucket idea for the led, copper and brass. My question however was more in the perspective of serious pirate loot like gold, platinum, silver etc. The safe deposit box seems to be the safest in my mind however if one wanted immediate access you would have to wait until the bank is open....and heaven forbid a "bank holiday" were to occur that could keep you from your valuables for who knows how long. Opinions?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I have a lot of junk jewelry. This weekend dig up an African style bangle to add to the pile. Most hunts bring some junk jewelry and clad. Maybe next summer I'll put 5 of these items in baggies and cover them with sand at the beach and watch to see if anyone finds them. Someone will eventually. I imagine they might get a bit of a rush at first. Come to think of it, it might make someone's day when all you find is clad.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea Escape. Often wondered what to do with the mason jars full of rotted pennies. Maybe take them to the beach and bury them. Don't think I would like to be around when they are found as I might get hit with either flying coins or mason jars. Guess I should just leave them on the shelf.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never put anything is a safe deposit box at a bank... I lost all trust in banks. I would earge you to do the same. But then some call me paranoid....

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "treasure" would certainly make some of the folks here laugh. Nothing of great value, but I founded it all. I would'nt die if someone would come and steal everything, just freaking mad :laughing7:

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of junk jewelry. This weekend dig up an African style bangle to add to the pile. Most hunts bring some junk jewelry and clad. Maybe next summer I'll put 5 of these items in baggies and cover them with sand at the beach and watch to see if anyone finds them. Someone will eventually. I imagine they might get a bit of a rush at first. Come to think of it, it might make someone's day when all you find is clad.

PLEASE D'ONT DO THAT.
The initial find might be nice, but then again someone like me may throw their machine into the Ocean.

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with my finds... The silver just can't find its way under my coil. I just look at all the finds here and day dream about it.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I traded in about 7g of mixed gold towards a 22k wedding band for me recently. The beat up silver I couldn't find anyone local to take it. Silver coins I keep.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded in about 7g of mixed gold towards a 22k wedding band for me recently. The beat up silver I couldn't find anyone local to take it. Silver coins I keep.

If you cant find anyone to take your mangled silver, you can send it to me. I'll give them a loving home. :headbang:

NC Digger

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2015
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excal2, CTX, Nox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad and pull tabs are not treasure. Maybe one day I might find something worth a mention!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wuv it... squeeze it... pet it... and name it George.

:P

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just look at it