Opinions needed, CRH in Cancun, Mexico for American Silver!

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I CRH in the U.S. for a small while but gave up after i searched 1000's of dollars worth of coins to find 1 dime, i live in Cancun, Mexico now, the number 1 tourists destination in all of the Caribbean and Bahamas. I was thinking what if i went to the banks here asking for half dollars, maybe throughout the years they have been adding up? Searching for silver pesos is unrealistic but maybe there will be some American silver in a bankers hands and they dont even know that it's silver since it's a foreign currency.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I would think taking half dollars on vacation / business trip would be about the most inconvenient way to take US currency to a foreign country.... but, it doesn't hurt to ask...! HH

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I would think taking half dollars on vacation / business trip would be about the most inconvenient way to take US currency to a foreign country.... but, it doesn't hurt to ask...! HH

The kicker is Cancun was made in 1967 so most people would have carried change such as half dollars to tip back in the day, what happens to American coins in Mexico?

Their is silver in 92 to 95 peso coins? Are they commonly found? I doubt any local has looked through knowing this knowledge, ignorance is popular here in Mexico !

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Their is silver in 92 to 95 peso coins? Are they commonly found? I doubt any local has looked through knowing this knowledge, ignorance is popular here in Mexico !

10 Nuevos Pesos - Mexico - Numista

I don't have any in my collection, and I don't know if they were commonly used at the time, but I assume yes, because I know some guy here had a huge jar of them and was unknowingly giving them to tellers as gifts, when they have more silver than a 40%.

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say CRHing in Cancun sounds like an awesome idea!

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I did more research and the Mexican government tried adding silver back into the coinage to help stimulate the new peso or something like that but from 1992-1995 10 peso coins contained 5grams of silver with over 100 million making their way into circulation and 35 million 20 peso coins making their way into circulation.
The 20 peso coins i guess are more rare i don't know but the 10 peso coins look identical to the current ones in circulation now and most people here are ignorant to knowledge like this so i would imagine the bank to be loaded with lots of 10 peso silver centers!

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Yep start searching and let us now how it goes!

I actually think remember finding one of these coins, they look exactly like all the other 10 peso coins in circulation except have a N before the 10 which ive seen before. No one knows about this because finding information on the net was quite hard with limited information, the coin was never removed from circulation and locals have no idea.

All coins prior to 1992 were removed due to the new reform of the peso and these new peso coins = 1000 old pesos for every one peso so theirs only 20 years out their and 3 of them have silver with 100 million in circulation. Their are no coin shops here and i doubt theirs any CHR'S here, the chance of finding silver in Mexico totally outweigh the U.S. horde of CHR'S, banker pickers, and government pulling from circulation. Out of 5000 pesos thats 500 10 peso dollars with i bet around 10-15 having silver or 60-90 dollars a batch

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free Lunch? Probably not.

LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT THOUGH!

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
I highly doubt finding those sterling silver core nuevo pesos would be as easy as you think. But I too would love to hear some stories of someone actually trying this.

I think CRH in Switzerland would be very interesting. The 1/2, 1, 2 (Helvetia) and 5 Franc (William Tell) coins have maintained the same design since silver was taken from their currency in 1967. It is a very similar situation to the US coins with unchanged designs (Roos, Wash, Kennedy). Swiss silver is .835 compared to US .90 silver.

Anybody have any stories of CRH in Switzerland?? I personally have found two (2) silver 1/2 Francs in US dime rolls along with numerous of the CuNi (post-1967) varieties.

Jeff

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
Adding to the above, I believe sometime back a member reported being able to still find silver (40% purity) Krona coins in Sweden. But, Switzerland really intrigues me, not that I will be going there anytime soon.

Jeff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Adding to the above, I believe sometime back a member reported being able to still find silver (40% purity) Krona coins in Sweden. But, Switzerland really intrigues me, not that I will be going there anytime soon.

Jeff

I've never heard of CRH in Switzerland, only Sweden outside of NA.

cecropia_moth

Feb 10, 2010
Switzerland is relatively small, it is possible that their government may have pulled the silver coins from circulation via some sort of Alloy Recovery Program. I don't know.

I also thought about this in terms of current exchange rates. Assuming they roll their 1/2 franc coins (which are US dime size) in rolls of 50 coins, a box of 50 rolls would be 1,250 Swiss francs which at today's exchange rate would equate to approximately 1332 USD. That is one expensive dime box.

These thoughts aside, Switzerland is the only country I know of that could potential have CRH that is very similar to the US (aside from Canada).

Jeff

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that you could CRH for silver coins in Mexico fairly easily, especially in the tourist-y areas. As far as I know, they still circulate and the lower value of the Peso means that it shouldn't be too expensive.

As for other countries, Canada, Switzerland, potentially Sweden (old 2 Krona coins are rarely seen but they are still legal tender and are 40% silver before '66), I think some European countries along with Japan have higher value silver (commemorative) coins that are spent when silver is low but hoarded when silver is high, these could potentially be found in circulation.

My guess is that all the silver coins have been snatched out of circulation in Switzerland without a doubt because, in general, the Swiss are very aware of precious metals. I'd assume the same for Sweden.

Most countries you won't find any hint of silver (unless someone spent something out of like a silver proof set or the like) because they either went decimal in the late-60s early 70s and made no silver decimal coins (or switched the size/shape of the coins like Australia) such as the UK, Australia, and most of the commonwealth. Or they have switched to the Euro, or hyperinflation has made their currencies change since the high prices of silver/inflation of the 1960s.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If I could afford to live there I wouldn't care to roll hunt, lol...good luck on the search and let us know!

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Yea to clear up with some members just because the dollar is weaker in value doesn't help me out at all because i live here, i'm paying with the peso too but yes Cancun is a tourist-y area, it's the number 1 most traveled destination in all of the Caribbean and Bahamas. I came on vacation and havnt left yet plus you can buy herb here for 40 dollars for 18 grams! The silver 92'-95' coins are the exact same as the ones currently being produced so seeing the difference is really hard and why i think i could find some. I got 40 coins the other day but didn't find one, walmart didnt sell many and banks were closed.

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
I ment since the peso is weaker in value