Opinions Needed...

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
My grandmother recently gave me a safe that belonged to my Great-great-great grandfather. I can remember seeing this thing around as a child and being in better condition than it is now. My father had it for awhile and let it go to crap before my grandmother picked it up again. I've always had these plans of restoring it and making it look like it did in its prime. You can see it is pretty worn and has rust spots. I like the front as it still has his name.

So question is,,, should I keep it original like it is in the present condition or restore the safe as it would of been when he first bought it? Kind of torn and looking for opinions. THanks

Attachments

• IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2314.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2316.JPG
    IMG_2316.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 160

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
Family items that have sentimental value I will restore/repair, especially if the intent is to display it in some way. Your safe as
it sits now, may only get worse so at the very least try to stop the damage from progressing. (take lots of pictures) :wink:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see why you'd want to keep it in its present condition. There's something really neat about those old battered safes.

If you're not going to restore all of it, the one thing I would recommend completely cleaning and repairing would be the hinges and the locking mechanisms. You really don't need those freezing up on ya especially if you're gonna use it for yourself! :sad1:

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say have it restored but make sure the lettering and the designs are recreated exactly to specification. don't let them modernize it.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to local safe company -- Locks and Safes -- find out who does their restoration/touch-up work. A black lacquer paint job with modern hand painted door striping should not cost that much. At least is is worth cleaning and new paint job for sentimental family heirloom picture books etc., even if you are not going to keep valuables in it. Cost effective decision?, No Way; Just think in terms of passing down family history to next generation.

By the way, you can now get new ones for $50 to $250 range, everywhere from autoparts stores to office supply stores. And as a minimum, I would build some kind of wood base with laminated wood strip flooring -or- tile for it to sit on; keep from ruining the floor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread