Status
Not open for further replies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Parks are dedicated for the use of the public so let's see you enter with out paying or try to take one of "your" trees home, Stop in at Petrified Tree National Park and take home a nice specimen. Walk into your National Guard and take home a desk., walk in to your local HUD head quarters and take home a desk..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stare parks are owned collectively by the people of the state, so enter a state park and take one of your "public owned" trees home...... Your using the assumption any thing stated "public" is owned by you, so enter that public state park after hours and enjoy the facilities, after all it is yours.

The only way i would hunt HUD property is with permission of the reality company handling the property sale..

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me there is no such thing as public property OR freedom anymore.
None of us can condone trespassing.
Sensitive archaeological or historical sites are a huge no-no, however if we are talking about $10 worth of old pennies and dimes I say " cmon lighten up".

OP
OP
Jesse James

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me there is no such thing as public property OR freedom anymore.
None of us can condone trespassing.
Sensitive archaeological or historical sites are a huge no-no, however if we are talking about $10 worth of old pennies and dimes I say " cmon lighten up".

Well said.

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because the bank owns it, it's ok? Private property is private property.
What if we all came over to your house and detected. Un-announced, un-invited. and without permission?
I think we're all a bit better than that.

Ranger121

Apr 7, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites Amphibian II
Bounty Hunter
Despite TreasureHunter's goody goody soapbox, I hunt every old deserted house I see. Sometimes I wear my white hardhat and orange vest, other times I make a show of looking the property over before pulling out the old detector. Only once have I had a neighbor come out to try and pump me for who, what, why. Just fill in those holes and if asked to leave, leave politely and apologetically......no worries.

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ready to be stoned. Ok, I'll admit I do search them. But, I try to take at least two bags of trash too. Usually I'll go around and gather some trash & throw it in the truck in plain sight & a bag next to it. So far I haven't had any problems. On one occasion the cops cruised by & just gave a wave when they saw I had a big handful of trash heading to the truck. Picking up some litter & trash is a fair trade to search a potentially good site.

Asking permission has had varying results. Found a property out in the boonies that had bottles all over the place. Called the real estate company and started out with "I was driving by & saw all the broken glass and wondering if I could have it." Got an immediate YES, along with a name & number to call if there was a problem with police. Might be me, but if I offer to drive to the office and give them a release of liability they almost always say yes. I've only had to actually go to the office once so far.

The big thing is how you present yourself. Just want to go in & hunt for coins? Nothing in it for them = no. Will do a little cleanup on the property for free = yes.

That's just my experience and might not pan out in your area.

It's called fraud.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you do not "own" -and -it isn't open "publicly owned land" --then its"owned" by someone else --if owned by someone else you need their ok to hunt it --its that simple--period -- otherwise by law -- legally speaking your a "trespasser" and if you take things from the land without the land owners ok / permission that then makes you legally speaking "a thief"---because if the law shows up -- this is how they will view it most likely...

Last edited:

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite TreasureHunter's goody goody soapbox, I hunt every old deserted house I see. Sometimes I wear my white hardhat and orange vest, other times I make a show of looking the property over before pulling out the old detector. Only once have I had a neighbor come out to try and pump me for who, what, why. Just fill in those holes and if asked to leave, leave politely and apologetically......no worries.

TreasureHunter's goody goody soapbox? You need to hang out on some other forum.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
IF YOU DO NOT OWN IT , AND ITS IS NOT "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC" PUBLICLY OWNED LAND * but is rather "privately owned or controlled" you must get the ok to hunt it -- otherwise by law --your trespassing * no way around that "FACT" ---removing things from land that your TRESSSPASSING ON without the land owners ok to do so is THEFT -no way around that FACT EITHER -- SO PLEASE DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT --BECAUSE WHEN YOU GET CAUGHT DOING ILLEGAL STUFF --IT GIVES ALL DETECTORIST A BLACK EYE..------REMEMBER FOLKS POINTS OF VEIW MAY VARY --BUT THE LAW DOESN'T.

Last edited:

wvmountaindigger

Oct 19, 2014
Mountains of West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Sun-Ray DX1 Probe, White's XLT, Sun-Ray XL1 Probe, White's Coin Master Pro, White's Coin Master 2900 Trooper, White's Coin Master 2DB Series 2, White's 120mm Bullseye Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS*--some folks might not like em but they are still the facts ,and the LAW is still the law ...funny thing is how if folks came upon their land without a ok and took stuff , they would be after em gun in hand ..but since its them doing it to another person its ok...kemper what I mean is very clear -- unless you personally own it or its clearly ok to hunt publicly owned land -- in other words not public land but rather "privately owned or controlled land" --if its private --you must get a ok first --or your breaking the law

Last edited:

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not sure of the legality or illegality of hubting foreclosed properties. but i will say, in this or any other debate, anyone citing wikipedia as a credible source is going to have trouble making a valid argument.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I agree with the first part of your comment. The OP is talking about foreclosed homes here and I believe we are talking about actual ownership of those hones. There will be different circumstances and different types of ownership. One should not assume a property of this type is automatically illegal to hunt.

Another point to consider is the fact that none of these home have signs stating. "No Metal Detecting!." I'm traveling at warp speed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trespassing is trespassing, using your flawed logic any one can take up residence in a foreclosed HUD home since it is"public" property.

― James Madison

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
you are all doing a good job at super-dissecting the legal issues here. Ie.: public versus private, types-activities one-can-legally do, blah blah blah. All that stuff can be discussed and dissected till the cows come home! So why don't we all just cut to the chase, and apply the following test of whether we can md ANY given type of location:

It's called the "Does anyone really care?" test.

We have those low-income subsidized housings (apt. complexes) here in my city, that date to the late 1940s/early '50s. They may or may not be "HUD", I dunno. Anyhow: They tore a bunch down several years ago. Since it took awhile for the tennants to all move out, there was a period of many months where the complexes sat vacant and boarded up. We "helped ourselves" to the lawns and got a lot of silver. We could have "knocked ourselves silly" debating the various legal ownerships, rules, etc.... of those specks of land, if we'd wanted. But since no one cared less, well .... no one cared less.

Well, I suppose if we'd asked long enough and hard enough of enough desk-bound pencil pushers somewhere, that: Yes, we could have found someone who "cared less" (and could have said "no"). But seriously now folks, SO TOO can the same be said of ANY PLACE we all hunt. There's not a place in the world you or I can hunt, that I bet I can't find someone, somewhere, in a position of authority, to say "you can't do that". So there comes a point where you have to grow-a-set and just go sometimes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trespassing is trespassing, we are not talking boarded up complexes waiting to be torn down we are talking homes being resold.

― James Madison

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trespassing is trespassing, using your flawed logic any one can take up residence in a foreclosed HUD home since it is"public" property.

― James Madison

Not to get in this debate but yes people are take up residence in these foreclosures and making them their property. Something called adverse possession. Its happening in florida i seen it on 60 mins. I dont think it the hud ones though. I think its the bank owned ones. Couldnt believe it when i saw it. They were getting mansions for free legally being theirs after so long

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be easier for you to squat on a place kemper than to get them to agree with ya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread