Opinions on Scoops for Beach Hunting

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi... I'm curious about choosing a scoop for beach hunting.
My research shows many configurations. I'm curious what kind of scoop people are using and why?
Long Handled shaft or Short Handled shaft or no shaft?
Straight shaft or angled?
I'm seeing that most of the holes are 5\8" is that standard or are there options?
I see that some say dry sand only, but others don't specify, is there something I should be looking for to find a scoop that will work in both wet and dry sand?

Thanks for the info!

~C~

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hi... I'm curious about choosing a scoop for beach hunting.
My research shows many configurations. I'm curious what kind of scoop people are using and why?
Long Handled shaft or Short Handled shaft or no shaft?
Straight shaft or angled?
I'm seeing that most of the holes are 5\8" is that standard or are there options?
I see that some say dry sand only, but others don't specify, is there something I should be looking for to find a scoop that will work in both wet and dry sand?

Thanks for the info!

~C~

Here's some pros and cons I've discovered in my >30 yrs. of beach hunting:

The short handled scoops allow for the most "torque" . Like to get deep in wet hard-packed sand quick. HOWEVER, as with any "stoop labor", it's tiring to bend over all day long :)

The long-handled scoops solve that problem, but now the problem is, you'll have less torque (unless you have a way to use your foot as a "push" to the basket, etc...). And it gets un-wieldy, IMHO, to operate a long-handled scoop with a single hand. Ie.: you'll find yourself sometimes using two hands, and taking your other hand off your detector, or having to contort your wrist to keep the long-handle pole the way you want it, etc..

So here's what I did, and I love it: Took a long handled scoop, and customized it with a pistol grip, and arm-cup. Sore of like the old "hip mounts" used to be. You'll never bend over again, and it's all one-hand operation. Takes a few more "swipes" in hard-packed sand than short-handled scoops, but I love not have to bend over more than slightly.

a) The correct height to make these is so that when you hold it loosely at your side with hand on the grip, it should be *just* an inch or two off the ground. This is so that you don't need to subconsciously bend your elbow all day long carrying it, to keep it from dragging. You only need to drop your arm at your side.

b) the distance between the grip to the cup needs to be just right. If the distance is too short, you'll have all the pressure on the middle-bone of your arm when you go to do downstrokes (ouch!). But if the distance is too long, and you'll have an inability to bend your arm. I also put a cross-wire (or you can use a velcro strap, etc...) to keep my arm in, yet loose enough to pull my are in an out with ease.

c) the angle of the basket should be such that you don't find yourself contorting to wierd angle to get the right angle-of-slice. You can see the angle I have here, is what works for my height, arms, etc...

d) The back-brace usually comes with long-handled scoops when you buy them. But if it's a chincy scoop without that back-brace, beware, they're prone to bend. Another note: stainless steel is better if you're going to be using it in wet salt. Otherwise, regular metal will get rusty and weak after a year or more of constant use. Stainless is expensive though, but every-bit worth it, IMHO. To get the pistol grip put on, I had a welder friend, who had the type equipment to work in stainless, add that on. We just cut off the last 4" or so of the end of the rod, and used that for the grip itself. As for the arm-cuff, that's just random scrap I had around, that I bent into a cup shape, drilled some holes, then drilled some holes in the rod, and small bolts (with smooth top heads so that they don't scratch and irritate your arm)

Attachments

• 2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 117
  • 2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
another one:

Here's a pix of my spare. Same concept:

Attachments

• 2012-10-07_07.01.00.jpg
    2012-10-07_07.01.00.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 110

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
~C~...

This would be a hard question to answer. Would be like asking ... "what's the best detector for me to use?"

The only true answer would be to try several types and see what works best for you. If you have friends that will loan you one to try, would be a good start. You could also buy "used"? Only with experience will you find out what works and what doesn't.
This is the only true way.. because what you like in a scoop may not be the same as others!

You will also hear things that may not be true. One is.. "Aluminum is lighter". The fact is, if two scoops are built the same, the aluminum scoop will not be as strong as the stainless if it is lighter. In order to be the same strength the aluminum scoop would need to be made of a heavier gauge metal than stainless... So for an aluminum and stainless scoop to be the same strength.. they would weigh about the same.

Yes.. 5/8" is about standard for holes.. but you may see 1/2" or even smaller.

You asked what everyone is using ...
I built the two I have, not to save money, but to have what I wanted that works for me. And I've used several store bought before designing them. I wanted the lightest scoops possible and still maintain high strength. Only using one metal can do this... Titanium.

Attachments

• patty1a.jpg
    patty1a.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for the information. I truly don't have the skill set to make my own and unfortunately don't know anyone else who is interested in this hobby.
Perhaps my best option is to simply choose one, plunk down the cash and see how it goes. At least now I have some idea about what to look for. I'm hoping to find a club or group in my area where I can possibly meet some people, but I've not been able to come across any yet. So, I'm just trying to muddle through and collect as much info as I can chase down.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
~C~

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you both for the information. I truly don't have the skill set to make my own and unfortunately don't know anyone else who is interested in this hobby.
Perhaps my best option is to simply choose one, plunk down the cash and see how it goes. At least now I have some idea about what to look for. I'm hoping to find a club or group in my area where I can possibly meet some people, but I've not been able to come across any yet. So, I'm just trying to muddle through and collect as much info as I can chase down.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.
~C~

Carla, how big are you - physically? Long handled wet sand and water beach scoops (aluminum) weigh about 4-5lbs empty. Are you going IN the water, or are you mostly a dry sand and ankle wader? On the DRY sand, a short or no handle "wire" scoop is fast and light. Check out this link Buy Sand Scoops, Beach Scoops, Moose Scoops, Water Scoops, Sand Sifter

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry. I'm 5'6" tall, mediumish build. You're right. I truly hadn't considered carrying the darn thing around all day. Just know that I want one. I've checked out the link you included. I'm leaning toward this one for a starter. I'll tell myself that all the bending is incredibly wonderful exercise and will ignore my complaining joints. :laughing7: Thinking I can get some kind of belt loop to hang it on until I hit a target to dig. I would be interested in any opinions on it to know if there are any other things that I haven't considered. Thanks for your help.
5supersiftermini.jpg
Description: This is our durable 5" diameter sand scoop made of 16 gauge steel and strong 1/2" wire welded screen. A soft rubber hand grip is placed on the handle for extreme comfort. It is made to sift sand super fast. Easy to use and very lightweight. An excellent sand scoop in both wet and dry sand. This scoop is one of our most popular hand scoops. Made in the USA. We offer a 90 day limited warranty against manufacturing defects.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you'll be fine with that scoop. If you are swinging the Minelab 705, it will be most effective in the dry sand. It will lose stability and sensitivity, as well as depth in the wet saltwater sand. That doesn't mean it won't work, it just means you'll have to tweak the settings. Get a good hat, wear earphones (wind and wave noise) and have fun!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Short tips: Take a dime with you when you look at them. The holes should just stop a dime.
: A light, long handled scoop that you can push in with your foot is a back lifesaver. You won't have to bend over all day and you can carry it on your shoulder. After you scoop, shake it till just the target is in the scoop.
Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Frank. Unfortunately, I've not been able to track down a dealer in my area for any hands-on shopping.
It may be that online purchases are my only avenue. If someone knows of a dealer near Santa Rosa, Ca. I would be grateful for the information.
I've tried to google for a shop in my area with no luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Thank you Frank. Unfortunately, I've not been able to track down a dealer in my area for any hands-on shopping.
It may be that online purchases are my only avenue. If someone knows of a dealer near Santa Rosa, Ca. I would be grateful for the information.
I've tried to google for a shop in my area with no luck.

Carla, yes it's unfortunate, but the "era" of brick-&-motor metal detector dealers, has mostly gone by the wayside. The advent of internet on-line and mail-order dealers has dealt a harsh-blow to brick-&-motor stores of speciality dealers of something like detectors and accessories nowadays. Same for clubs: people do their socializing and info-exchanges on-line nowadays, and go less & less to physical club meetings.

There may still be a store in a city near you that sells detectors (and hence related accessories). Like isn't Whites West coast rep. Jimmy Sierra in your area? In any case, if you end up buying online, here's the dealer I used, that resulted in the pix I gave you above. Mine was one of his long-handled modified. But he also sells short handled, and can even custom order, if you communicate with him. Good person to do business with: Go to ebay, type in "sand scoop". And then scroll down the list of various options, till you see some from "borderlineengineering". Here's a current example of one of his listings (if it's ok if I post the link here): 40" Stainless Steel Beach Sand Scoop | eBay

From there you can click to see his "store" and so forth.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm too cheap to pop for one right now but have researched them. If it is beach only then go for an aluminum one with at least a 36inch handle, that'll be the lightest. If you are going to use it in the water go for a stainless one with a 40inch+ handle. You'll want the weight to help control it, and Aluminum will oxidize in salt water. There are only a few companies that make them, and they are all relatively the same price.
I just bought two 3 quart feed scoops from a farm store. A galvanized one I am going to put a handle on, and a plastic one. I just drilled about a bazillion half inch holes in them. I don't plan on stooping at all. That's why I have a kid. After she give up on me I'll probably invest in a long handled scoop.

OP
OP
Carla705

Carla705

Jan 27, 2013
Santa Rosa, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom - Thanks I had considered Ebay but was afraid to get an inferior scoop. It's nice to have your recommendation to go by.

302guy -Thank you. Perhaps having the torque of the long handle would be beneficial.

I have some to decided before I'm ready to purchase. I truly appreciate all of the information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread