Opinions wanted

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to get your opinions on a MD morals issue.

A friend of mine manages a small cemetery, about 5 acres. The cemetery dates back to the mid 1800's but is still in use and there are a few burials there every year.

The issue is that the records from the earlier burials were lost several years ago when the church on site burned down. Many of the records from then on were spotty until about 20 years ago. The association has approved the purchase of a metal detector to locate the "pins" (they call them mushrooms) to help determine locations and plots that have been marked out in the past. Since no one associated with the cemetery has any MD experience, I may be asked to help. This would be a directed search in specific areas to locate pins and most likely not a large search.

Should I refuse to help because of the ethics of MD? If I leave them to do it themselves, I am sure it would be a very tedious task for someone with no experience. In addition to their expense of purchasing or renting equipment.

If I do assist with the search, what should I do with anything found while looking for the pins?

Thanks for your opinions.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Sounds like a great opportunity to help! I am sure some associations members will be right with you watching and learning the art of MD'ng. If you have time - you might consider saving them the cost of a MD and jumping in to help find those markers.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to get your opinions on a MD morals issue.

A friend of mine manages a small cemetery, about 5 acres. The cemetery dates back to the mid 1800's but is still in use and there are a few burials there every year.

The issue is that the records from the earlier burials were lost several years ago when the church on site burned down. Many of the records from then on were spotty until about 20 years ago. The association has approved the purchase of a metal detector to locate the "pins" (they call them mushrooms) to help determine locations and plots that have been marked out in the past. Since no one associated with the cemetery has any MD experience, I may be asked to help. This would be a directed search in specific areas to locate pins and most likely not a large search.

Should I refuse to help because of the ethics of MD? If I leave them to do it themselves, I am sure it would be a very tedious task for someone with no experience. In addition to their expense of purchasing or renting equipment.

If I do assist with the search, what should I do with anything found while looking for the pins?

Thanks for your opinions.

Seen this once before in Texas after a flood. I was only liike 12 back then, but had gotten invited along with the rest of my family because I had my MD.

I would guess about 30 folks showed up to it, each hit would get marked, verified by two others and recorded on paper by a worker there. After all was marked in a weeks time everything was dug with 5 people from various backgrounds.

Police each other inn the matter, and with a good system and moral in place all should be fine. I would say go for it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd help them in a second. I don't see an ethics problem since they asked for your help, and it was going to be done by someone anyway. You would probably cause less damage than a total amateur.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'd help them in a second. I don't see an ethics problem since they asked for your help, and it was going to be done by someone anyway. You would probably cause less damage than a total amateur.

Agreed. In fact, I don't even know why there'd be a question of "morals", to begin with. Coffins are 6 ft. deep. The pins you are looking for are ... what ... 6 inches deep ? So what's there to "morally" question ? And .. heck, ... you're there for a noble purpose. So I don't get the question.

But I should clarify: Yes, I know why the O.P. asked. Because of the repeated posts that come up, on general coin-hunting in graveyards (fumble fingers losses from those attending grave-side funerals over the years). So that if a legit. purpose comes up, then a skittish md'r recalls earlier debates. But to me, this is just an example of "over-thinking" things. Supposed fears , that we're all supposed to "fear" when it comes to md'ing. When reality is: Probably no one cares less. Just go.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see any moral issue at all. It's not like you'd be detecting gold rings on peoples fingers, unless your detector is waaaay better than mine or anybody else's.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if you intentions were different I might say different but I think you would be doing a good thing

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. In fact, I don't even know why there'd be a question of "morals", to begin with. Coffins are 6 ft. deep. The pins you are looking for are ... what ... 6 inches deep ? So what's there to "morally" question ? And .. heck, ... you're there for a noble purpose. So I don't get the question.

But I should clarify: Yes, I know why the O.P. asked. Because of the repeated posts that come up, on general coin-hunting in graveyards (fumble fingers losses from those attending grave-side funerals over the years). So that if a legit. purpose comes up, then a skittish md'r recalls earlier debates. But to me, this is just an example of "over-thinking" things. Supposed fears , that we're all supposed to "fear" when it comes to md'ing. When reality is: Probably no one cares less. Just go.

I think the moral concerns are with the items left behind that would be around the same depth as the pins.

The place we assisted did their best to map, and put back in the ground any affects that where recovered in the area. But it was a flood that created that problem and many of things found could not be put back. They had a vault there that such items went into and they let all the families they could find for the area that was effected.

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was one who had spoken up against metal detecting in a cemetery. I thought it was rather crude to be searching and digging on peoples graves to pick up change. What your talking about is doing a service for the cemetery and locating peoples graves for identification. I see no problem with doing so as long as it is done in a respectful manner. Just my two cents worth.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You can help locate pins with a detector.
Nothing wrong with that.
Detectors locate metal. Operator targeting pins to help out is far different than detecting a cemetary for plunder.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this bothers you in any way, and you have to ask what to do? You may want to pass... It may come back and bother you later, for whatever reason.

To me? I see no big deal. And I'm not trying to drag up that argument either.

No big deal at all. But if your on the fence? Our advice and opinions won't mean much later on. :dontknow: The people in charge there will tell you what to do with anything found if you go that route. They may want every find, or may not even care as long as the job is done.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are being asked to do a service, so I see no harm in helping. If you are really bothered by the thought of finding something of value and keeping it, just ask before you start the task. "Can I keep anything found (at a depth of up to .....inches?) while detecting for the "Mushrooms"." Perhaps this will help: If you find something traceable back to the family, you could always return it to any current family members.

Good Luck either way. :icon_thumleft:

iowamp

Jul 2, 2012
eastern iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got asked by the sextant of our local cemetery to hunt for these pins. We used my metal detector and tape measure to find pins. I was glad to help out. Afterwards he let me metal detect his 1870s house yard and I found a silver Wash. quarter.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think the moral concerns are with the items left behind that would be around the same depth as the pins. ....

Ok, sure. It's *possible* that someone left a memento purposefully there, at the foot of a gravestone. I've heard that someone might leave a coin, of the date of the death of the deceased , at the tombstone, for instance.

I hate to be ... uh ... trite , but, if we all sit around worrying about the "what if's" long enough (how various people in-the-world *might* be offended at something we do) is the day that you might as well give up detecting ANYWHERE.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can try and help. But graves at six feet would get by me. You need an eight-foot bottle probe.

No ethics problem if you leave everything where it is.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no ethics problem at all with this -- they want your help/expertise in locating the pins to know where graves are -- that's a service to them, and to the families of the deceased.

As for anything else you find, make sure it gets to the owner of the cemetery, as you will searching on hallowed ground.

If the pins are rebar they may make for small targets, and if iron make sure you leave your discrimination off. If they are buried deep, they could be hard to locate. If they are like property pins your best bet might be a magnetic locator over a metal detector.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a friend that manages a cemetery up here and him and i hunt the cemetery now and then never thought it to be a problem..I have hunted other cemetery's also it is peaceful and no one to bother you.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it would be a great opportunity to meet people and get invited to hunt their properties from the kind help you’re giving them.
I wouldn’t keep or take anything found unless offered.

OP
OP
R

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments and opinions. I was more concerned of the optics and past debates about MD in cemeteries. The area that I would be searching is an area away from any marked graves.

I let you all know if anything interesting comes up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions