Opportunity dig with the Archies this evening...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]I got a call from a friend who is an Engineer for a nearby town asking me if I wanted to detect a 900 year old Monastery construction job this evening, now or never. I was all over the opportunity and ready to go. Archaeologists had already been through the site and met us there. He explained the site layout and what had been found, several foundations, a water channel made of wooden timbers and many other features that had been buried. The construction is just a 6' deep by 6' wide ditch 70' long and just 40' from the front door of the Monastery in a court yard. I was given permission to detect the dirt piles. Turned on my detector and it went crazy, underground transformer smack in the middle of this court yard I found out. Tuned my detector best I could and only found 3 square nails and a few pieces of junk. A Monk walked across the court yard while I was detecting, dressed in white attire. A lot of details to this hunt that only lasted about 1.5 hrs, wish it would not have been so rushed and in the dark. Sorry, no pictures but I will try to get pics of the construction site and Monastery as I drive by it almost daily. HH, Mike [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,

Glad you gave it a shot.....unfortunately all of our hunts don't turn out productive.....almost time for a cold one....prosit until the next time.

Regards + HH

Bill

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great opportunity. You had to go for it! Sorry it didn't work out.

19cbb

Nov 16, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
[FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]Tuned my detector best I could and only found 3 square nails and a few pieces of junk. [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Looks like those monks really took the vow of poverty... :laughing7:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. I think you might guess what I would say,,,,,

Last edited:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe the monk pass a detector before .
:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread