Options?

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I know this topic has been tossed around and debated before but I can't seem to find any conclusive direction....
I'm in the market for a new detector. I will be doing about 50/50 salt water hunting and relic hunting. I have previously owned an AT Pro and liked it, and it worked well in both cases, but I sold it due to issues it was having.
My question is this: what machine, other than the AT Pro will serve equally well in salt water and for relics?

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CTX 3030 if you need it to be waterproof. Any of the other high end Minelabs such as the Sovereign GT, Explorer, E-trac if you are just getting your ankles wet. Any PI machine will also work but iron targets might drive you crazy.

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ctx3030 is way out if my price range, but I have considered some of the other Minelabs...also considered Fisher CZ21 as well

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Cudamark. Wanted to throw the Safari in there too, I have a friend who does exceptionally well with CW relics with this machine, but you can pick up used Etrac with warranty for about the same money. The Sovereign GT is my personal favorite for beaches and relic hunts that I backpack into to hunt.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SP. I use the SovGT and Sand Shark at the beach.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SP. I use the SovGT and Sand Shark at the beach.

I'm thinking of getting Sharked up again. It was the toughest built water machine I've ever had, but got tired of digging everything without having any disc. I had the 10.5" coil but also had the Tiger shark with 8" coil and found it much easier to maneuver when water detecting. Which size do you have penzfan?

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have the 10.5 Fletch and it goes DEEP. Figure I can sweep over any really deep targets with the GT if my Son or Wife are with me

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 10.5 Fletch and it goes DEEP. Figure I can sweep over any really deep targets with the GT if my Son or Wife are with me
Have you ever ran Sov in PP and compared depths to Shark. A buddy was running the 10x12 SEF on his GT but he only hunts in Disc mode. I was using my 10" Excal 1000 with GGA's in PP mode. We compared several targets that I could hit pretty strong in PP but couldn't get a target response in Disc mode. He was just barely able to finally get a null on several, but I was surprised at the depth of the 10" in PP mode compared to the 10x12 in Disc mode on GT. The Sovereign doesn't seem to vary that much between AM and Disc mode like the Excal does.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
No I haven't tried that. I'm actually up in the Georgia mountains recovering from wrist and elbow surgery. Can't beach hunt for another 2 weeks or so. Just bought the GT recently and haven't really put it through any beach runs yet. Once the arm is back in shape I'll be hitting the beaches hard with the SS and GT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread