Ordered my first box!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
After following this thread for a couple of days, I've decided to order my first box. I live in Thousand Oaks, CA. about 50 miles north west of Los Angeles.

My son (12 years old) asked if he helps me look, can he have some of the silver. I told him, "NO! but if you pool your money, you probably have enough in all of your accounts to buy a box of your own. I will buy your silver, or you can build your own collection... Thinking about it, I may just front him the money to look for his own box. His Credit union has a coin counting machine that will allow him to Deposit his coins into his account for free. I will be using his account for my coins too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we got our first box and we were able to get about half way through it by bedtime. So far, I smell Skunk!

There is another box coming in on Monday. If I am skunked again, I am going to have to review this get rich slow scheme.

Walla183

Sep 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby requires patience. If it were guaranteed that you would find keepers every time, everyone would be doing it...

Most people average 1-2 per box - understand that means some boxes will yield 0 and others 4+.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we got our first box and we were able to get about half way through it by bedtime. So far, I smell Skunk!

There is another box coming in on Monday. If I am skunked again, I am going to have to review this get rich slow scheme.

Whew.. 2 skunk boxes.. By searching that many boxes, one would assume you would have found piles of silver ::) Seriously though, if you are ready to give up after 2 skunk boxes, this really is not the hobby for you.. Hobby is the key word here.. You need to stop looking at this as a get rich scheme period and starting viewing it as a hobby that you can share with your son.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

good luck getting rich off this! you didn't happen to read that book did you?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I do say that because it is literally impossible, not improbable, but impossible, to get rich off this hobby.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, My son got into the box and finished off the search without me. I am officially NOT skunked on my first box. We pulled one whole 1967 Half Dollar out of the 1000 that were in the box. Today I hit my dump bank, and on Monday, Box 2!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've searched about 500 boxes, of which 47% were skunks. There will be lots of them!

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Second box searched... 2x40%.

Better than nothing... My wife found the first one, so now she is kind of interested in what I am doing... That's always a good thing.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In the meantime, get a cheap Whitman folder for the Kennedy half series. Will give both of you something to do besides cull silva. Shouldn't take too long to fill it, you may be surprised and hit a 1970 half soon, then you are 90% there.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
In the meantime, get a cheap Whitman folder for the Kennedy half series. Will give both of you something to do besides cull silva. Shouldn't take too long to fill it, you may be surprised and hit a 1970 half soon, then you are 90% there.

Don't underestimate the 1987 half's rarity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread