B7.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 410
Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing that would have to be rayholite of basalt... Commonly referred to as just rayholite.
Common basalt will not concoidal fracture.
In other words it's not knapable stone.
Sure looks alot like obsidian.. What can you add about it did you find it? or was it called something already when you came to have it?
If you don't have me on ignore lol.
Maybe a Silver Lake

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir, you're being ignored, but I can still view what you say when I want to. I do think it looks like obsidian though too. All info I have written down is Gatecliff? basalt arrowhead from Wasco County, OR. It was in a collection of authentic arrowheads I purchased. The collection had some obsidian in it too. This point seems too nice for me to have in my collection and not have a type or age recorded with it also.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
In my opinion it looks like a "Parman" early Archaic 10,500-9000BP. Some examples are known to have a chisel tip which yours appears to have. Nice early artifact.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My example came from an identification publication as an example of a Silver Lake

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here it would be called an Archaic Stemmed Point

OP
OP
R

rockheadhunter421

Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, I would guess it's Mid-Late Archaic. I see you all are guessing in the Archaic Period. Just to give it a quick name I would call it Archaic Stemmed. I'm not sure what Oregon type that would be called though?

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
The material may be basidian. I have a stemmed point that is very close to the one you posted that I found in New Mexico.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
for the area Gatecliff is a good ID...a nice older one too, I have found them before. ...this is a fair site to use for ID's

Gatecliff

not obsidian, and while we do find basalt points out here, they tend to be dull and more flat in profile, Your stone is often identified as dacite.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a non glassy type of chert here that looks like yours. The high grade chert is very smooth where the low grade type feels kinda grainy and isnt shinny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread