oregon beginners

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Well im new to metal detecting! I have this detector it was cheap called a bounty hunter and I live in the Willamette valley. Im having trouble finding places to hunt. So far the only place close to me was bald peak park that requires no permit and didnt find much. Wondering if anyone knows how to obtain permits and if there are any good spots to dig to get started on my new hobby! Please help me with any advice u can give thanks!

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Perhaps you found one park that requires "permits". But .... this is rare. You'll not find many counties and rarely ever cities, that have dreamed up such a thing. To find out if such a thing exists (or an outright prohibition), you can look up the entities muni codes, to see if there's anything that addresses metal detecting / detectors. If not .... then there's your answer: It must not be prohibited!

Here's a club in your area, and they would know more, where it's just common place activity:

Mike Higbee's Prospectors Cache - Metal Detecting Clubs - Olympic National Park

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Oregon for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Well I do know that bald peak doesnt require permits cause there is a section at the oregon dmv site that shows parks that require permits to search there. I just dont know how to get the permits cause it doesnt say.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
I guess something just historical or something of value like a ring or silver.

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try for rings near where people swim or Play sports .silver change can be found at older parks, old homes, fair grounds and fishing spots.just ask the senior citizens where they played as children. I use to have a bounty hunter and found plenty of stuff.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Mmmk. Does it sound weird that I feel awkward walking around with a metal detector in public places?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mmmk. Does it sound weird that I feel awkward walking around
with a metal detector in public places?

LOL...nope, not at all. It takes a bit of getting used to, as there's really no way to
"blend in" with other people. The digging tool I've carried for the past 15 years is
a 13" long, 1/4" solid steel shank, and the length of it is "cupped", so you can scoop
dirt with it. Don't think they sell 'em any more, but it was THE thing to have back then,
just as the Lesche is today. It cuts a damn nice plug, too, and at that size it's not easily
missed by on-lookers, plus it's plenty heavy enough to use as a club to defend myself,
if ever needed.

Been living out here in the wilds for so long I'd forgotten that you folks in the
city have to deal with all those people. Don't think I could ever get used to that
again.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah its awkward as hell but still fun. WhTs the best find anyones ever had?

nubby1974

Apr 2, 2013
ridgefield
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey chelsea. I live in Ridgefield, wash. There are a lot of parks in vancouver that you can go to. Or go to some of the beaches on the Columbia. Let me know if you would ever want to meet up and go detecting.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
For sure I need a metal detecting buddy! I went with my mom cause she was interested and it didnt work out too well. But yeah im in washington quite a bit I have family up there and stuff in vancouver.

nubby1974

Apr 2, 2013
ridgefield
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. I live in Ridgefield. Schools are good also. the ballfields are a good spot to check. Fields are also good. There are a lot of fields up here in Ridgefield. I haven't hit all of them yet. Also a good thing to do is research the town that you live in or any town that you would like to check out.

nubby1974

Apr 2, 2013
ridgefield
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be good would be to get a bunch of people together and go as a group. They don't seem to have any groups down here in the portland/vancouver area.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Well they have groups here but they are on the other side of oregon honestly washington is close to me. Plus these groups do gold mining and have to pay a hefty fee. Which seems sort of dumb. But yeah we should get a group.

nubby1974

Apr 2, 2013
ridgefield
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds good. We will be the first 2. Let me know of a place you want to detect and and when you want to go and will meet up there.

OP
OP
chelsea

chelsea

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Well idk where to go I live in a Quaker town there isnt much history but the old Herbert Hoover house.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Mmmk. Does it sound weird that I feel awkward walking around with a metal detector in public places?

haha, yes, welcome to the harsh cruel reality of our hobby ;) I mean, think about it: It's an oddity that draws curious lookie-lous. People will see that, and say to themselves "ooohh, look at the man with the geiger-counter thingy over there. I wonder if he's finding pirate treasure" or "I wonder if he'll leave holes, etc...". You'll find yourself a kid magnet. And there's no escaping some people's connotations, mental images, etc.... So yes, we're in an odd hobby that draws lookie-lous, invites curious questions, invites busy-body gripes, etc..

So to be honest with you, I've gotten to where I do most of my hunting, at odd hours. ie.: before parks open to early traffic, or ... even at night. About the only exception to this, would be the beach (where perhaps detectors are a common site). But when it comes to turf, I never go at traffic times. It's kinda like nose-picking: Sometimes you need to .... uh .... pick discreet times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread