Oregon-Hard Rock Claim Exploration.

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
This is not Hard Rock Mining, this is exploration of a Hard Rock Claim to determine the economic potential and to decide the best location for a tunnel site.
I spent 2 months with a wheelborrow, pick and shovel every day like it was a legitimate job, when my gallon of water was gone I would go home.
This picture shows the trench I dug, looking from the bottom - in...
A FB2.JPG

This picture shows the trench from the top looking down...
A FB1.JPG

This picture shows the way the bed rock looked after the talus was removed.
The trenches and benches were formed at a contact point and it had faulted and slipped about three feet down and sideways.
A FB 3.JPG

This is the same spot after more material was cleaned out.
A FB4.JPG

The Gold is micron ( very small ) it is found with a red oxide and there are pyrites. The vein is about as wide as a Volkswagen Bug and is trending from the southwest to the northeast. I hit one hot pocket about the size of a wheelborrow - just hotter material than the actual vein material.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
I would guess that you are short on funds working the site like that, or you like doing it the old way.
It would seem to me that once you got the idea where roughly the mineralized area lay, that you would employ a portable core drill.
Even back in the 1970's up in Ontario, working with a local who had some claims under contract to some major mineing companies for further exploration and possible development, we used a portable rock drill. If we had what is available now, it would have been a lot easier.

Core drills are not too expensive and can give a lot of info. Running across old mine workings up in northern ontario, we always found tons of core samples.

http://www.backpackdrill.com/purchasing.html is a example of what I would say is your best way to get a quick idea of what may be underground and insight where to make that first big hole.

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Thank you for the information, that is what this is all about - information... to inspire whom ever it may concern. :) :icon_study:

Kid Saxon

Jan 10, 2008
Atwater Ca.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug , Whites GMT , SD 2100v2
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Guess it's my turn to post some pictures this weekend.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Looks like Big John's highbanking digs, almost. Whew! lot of sweat there- Hope it pays off for you. :)

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Kid Saxon said:
Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Guess it's my turn to post some pictures this weekend.

Bring it on, share your experience... the weather is too miserable for anything else.

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Jeffro said:
Looks like Big John's highbanking digs, almost. Whew! lot of sweat there- Hope it pays off for you. :)

Thanks Jeffro, I can see you know the results of hard labor-( lot of sweat ).

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know the fun in moving lots of material and then work on that micron(/flour) gold to. But it sure keeps you in form better then a day at the gym.(and more FUN to!) ;D

Cheers,
Eu

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Needle said:
Jeffro said:

Thanks Jeffro, I can see you know the results of hard labor-( lot of sweat ).

Oh, I've budged a rock or two in my day. Nothing like that dry trench though! ;)

These were just south of you a bit- around Wolf creek.

Attachments

• jeff and coley.jpg
    jeff and coley.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 560
  • Move rock1.jpg
    Move rock1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 550
OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
:) Jeffro, I've done a little of that too... it is amazing how many rocks a guy can throw upon the bank in one weekend while dredging, and it is great recreation for the whole family. I was privileged to have my granddaughter at the time and she got to go camping with us and play in the creek - Good memories all round. Needle

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Eu_citzen said:
I know the fun in moving lots of material and then work on that micron(/flour) gold to. But it sure keeps you in form better then a day at the gym.(and more FUN to!) ;D

Cheers,
Eu
It is amazing how much fun it really is as long as you are finding some Gold, but if there is no color in the pan, then it is not fun! :)
Another thing about it also, after a day of hard digging - sleep is a pleasure.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Needle said:
Eu_citzen said:

Cheers,
Eu
It is amazing how much fun it really is as long as you are finding some Gold, but if there is no color in the pan, then it is not fun! :)
Another thing about it also, after a day of hard digging - sleep is a pleasure.
Yeah I know what you mean especially if your working 2 days working all day and sleeping in a tent military style.(not comfortable, hard ground and no pillow)
Your gonna LOVE your bed after that trust me. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread