Oregon trip

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Well we've talked about it a bit, so here is some more info-

The only time I can get off on a weekend is Friday and Saturday, so the trip will be the last weekend in March. I'll be there from Wednesday the 28th to Saturday the 31st. I'm sure Nash will chime in here with the times he can get down there.

There are several good sites to check out, and anyone who wants to, I'll point ya to the spots. We have so far, gold mining, a chinese gold camp, an 1880's saw mill site, an 1880's miners cabin, and a couple first hand accounts of caches of gold stashed. All within a few miles of each other! There are a couple ghost towns in the area as well, scenic and pretty, but no MDing in the ghost towns, unfortunately. No dredging this time of year, either. But we can do pretty good just sluicing and panning.

Plenty of space for camping outside, and the nearest towns (about 20 miles) are Wolf Creek and Grants pass for those who would rather stay in a hotel.

The steelhead oughta be running by then, too. Great fishing on the Rogue!

Here's the spot- right next to the "C" in Camp, on that bend in the creek... its about 1/4 mile upstream from where Graves Creek hits the Rogue.

Coordinates are 42 Deg, 38 Min, 57 Sec north by 123 Deg, 34 Min, 38 Sec West
OR
42.6495 degrees north by 123.5778 west

Attachments

• API-387540.jpg
    API-387540.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,076

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Hey Jeffro,

Not sure the link worked. I just get a map of the west coast without any markers. I know the area though.

Unfortunately, I may have a tough time getting out that weekend. The Salem gold show starts the 31st and, though I won't be doing a booth this year, I do plan on attending to meet up with some of our suppliers, etc. Might be able to make it down earlier that week for a day or two though. I'd like to get some sluicing and maybe detecting in (so long as someone is willing to give me a few detecting pointers), so let me know if you figure out what you want to do on what days.

I'd likely camp or stay with family in the area.

Cheers!

Eathan

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Still not working for me. Got GPS coordinates or township/range/section?

Thanks

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
This gonna take some time.... thanks for checking back. I'll just have to keep trying....

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
No worries. I'm from down that way originally and should be able to find my way around. If you had coords though, I could probably post a topo map of the spot.

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Heck I want to be there for the whole shebang man! I am trying to work it into the schedule. As you know, my mom has been ill but I will get another relative in the house to take care of her for a few days.

So the spots we may go are basically between Wolf creek and Grants pass? I hear the Chinese worked pretty hard up Coyote creek.

~Nash~

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Driving directions-

If you're coming from the north, take exit 76-Wolf Creek- off I-5. Turn right at the only stop sign in town. Head west on lower wolf creek road to grave creek road,about 7-8 miles. Continue heading west on grave creek road another 7-8 miles to the camp spot. If you hit the Rogue River, you went 1/4 mile too far.

If you're coming from the south, take exit 61- Galice/Hellgate byway- Travel northwest on Galice/Merlin Road about 24 miles to the Grave creek bridge crossing the Rogue. Continue on over the bridge and go about 1/4 mile up grave creek road to the camp spot.

Exit 58 in Grants Pass will put you right next to Armadillo mining supply.

Address: 2041 N.W. Vine St.
Grants Pass OR
Phone:
541-476-6316

Stop in if you need anything. I understand Bob and Lesa don't own it anymore, but I'm sure the new owners are just as friendly.

hard rider

Feb 12, 2007
Jeff,thanks,my wife will plan on being there,is there a possibly of you to [pm] me a phone number? thanks,Mel

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Hey Jeff!

If I can swing it I'd love to go down there and do a little panning. But must admit that weather will also play a factor. As I near my 50th birthday, camping in the rain has lost a bit of its appeal.

T

TreasureTales

Is there room for parking travel trailers? Or an RV Park nearby? I'm not able to sleep on the ground anymore, too old and arthritic. I'd like to be there.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
There's an RV park in Wolf creek with hookups, there's room for an RV or two at the campspot, too. We took ours down there, no problem. I would suggest coming from the Grants pass way, however. Better road. The road from Wolf creek is one-lane in spots and pretty windy.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
My Dad used to have claims down on Graves Creek. One day we had a truck come crashing about 50 feet down the embankment above the cabin. It used to all be one lane and gravel back then - scary when the log trucks were running.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I know the place! Heheheh! Small world, I just saw your avatar.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Yeah? You didn't crash an old pickup down there about 25 years ago, did you? That would be a very small world. :)

You're in Eugene, right?

As for the avatar, my wife and I just launched the website late last November. Been a lot of work but business is starting to pick up. Hoping for a strong Summer.

Best get back to it.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I've had several people ask me about this, so I thought I'd clear it up... When I said "No MDing" in the original post, I meant no MDing in the ghost towns only..... we can MD pretty much anywhere else, lots of swingin room.

I changed the wording above. :)

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Hubby & I live in good ole' Grants Pass and hope to join ya'll then. I am recooping from 2 broken bones in the right foot and sprained left ankle (got out of cooking Christmas Dinner ::) ) but should be up and running by then. We are going to scout out the local, as soon as the snow melts, UGH! We'll let you know how things are doing if you like.

Hope to see you all soon

tootles
Lisa & Jack in GP

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Well thank you Lisa, I appreciate that! Sure you folks are welcome, the more the merrier. :)

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Well this weekend wasn't ment to be. The weather has been brutal! Hope to get out to Graves Creek next weekend provided the snow is gone by then. Sorry folks.

tootles
Lisa & Jack in GP

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Dang! I am sitting here looking at the snow about 100 feet above sea level. I am not too sure I will be able to make this one. Not only might I freeze my patootie off in a tent, the Mrs. to be needs to be taken to the doctor in about an hour. I finally slept from 4:30 this morning until 6. :P She hurt her back and basically cannot move without help , so I may end up babysitting her AND my mother.
It isn't often I ask for prayers but..................I MIGHT NEED THEM!
I will keep you all posted as I was SO looking forward to comng down and may still be able to. The cold really would not bother me in the least, as I always set up winter elk camp in the snow, but family has to come first.

Everyone have a good day.
~Nash~
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I'm hoping its just from that cold snap we got... keep your fingers crossed for it to start warming up soon! Where's global warming when you need it? LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread