Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending how cheap the #1 is it would be OK, but the Excal II would be a lot better deal as the old one can't be repaired by Minelab.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Sandman said if it works really good and it is cheap get it......... But beware if anything at all goes wrong with it "anything" Minelab will not repair it...... And with all other brands of detector's you can always find some one to repair them............ But with Minelab detectors the only people that can repair a Minelab ......Is Minelab...................

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it works and its cheap for sure pick it up! You can always re sell it. Sounds like a win win for you!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Like Sandman said if it works really good and it is cheap get it......... But beware if anything at all goes wrong with it "anything" Minelab will not repair it...... And with all other brands of detector's you can always find some one to repair them............ But with Minelab detectors the only people that can repair a Minelab ......Is Minelab...................

Not exactly true, my hunting partner Dave does repairs on them as long as he can get the parts... He has fixed many of them....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
But with Minelab detectors the only people that can repair a Minelab ......Is Minelab...................

Treasure Hunter is right, Dave and Mel Parker are the ones that can bring new life to sick excaliburs. I have just started repairing them myself, honestly, they are very easy to work on...other then the PCB/main board, everything else can be made or bought from outside vendors.

As far as the Old sword model excal, just look it over good in the sun. Some Parts can be interchange. And at a good price it would be worth just having one to hang on the wall.......think I got this one for 500 from dave..

Endcaps I'm having made...

Attachments

• 154_0700.JPG
    154_0700.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,440
  • DSC_8933.jpg
    DSC_8933.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,223
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I think the price will be about 250 and I know and trust the guy. FYI. Two weeks ago I missed a dentist selling a seldom used Excalibur II for $300 on Craigslist. They are out there guys.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
Keppy said:

Not exactly true, my hunting partner Dave does repairs on them as long as he can get the parts... He has fixed many of them....
But you see it does not do any one any good if they do not know............ It is just a little circle of people that knows about it................

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
250 is a good deal..I would jump on it for the parts even if she did not work for that price.....

Keppy....... you are 100% correct, It is sad minelabs has went the route of having the worse CS in the business, putting profit before anything else. One of the kickers I've seen, they want around 875.oo to replace the PCB/Main Board

Here is a perfect example, Gary sent the machine in, came back, not working correctly...still.

My Prognosis for this machine is a bad coil....first

If not that replace the PCB, thank god it's under warranty still.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN said:
250 is a good deal..I would jump on it for the parts even if she did not work for that price.....

Keppy....... you are 100% correct, It is sad minelabs has went the route of having the worse CS in the business, putting profit before anything else. One of the kickers I've seen, they want around 875.oo to replace the PCB/Main Board

Here is a perfect example, Gary sent the machine in, came back, not working correctly...still.

OBN ..... Thank goodness i found some one that tells the truth about Minelab's service...... They put out a good detector ......But have really bad service ..... And every one makes some kind of excuse for there service and .............A excuse for there stealing us blind with there repair cost...................... If it was not for there bad service more would buy Minelab detectors...... And if you can repair them get the word out.... You never know you might have to repair one of mine some day ........ Well OBN it is nice to see that some one else here on the Minelab fourm understands how Minelab sort of you know what on us ...... Seem's like no one else here know's what Minelab does to us with there service.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyones customer service can stand to be better, and all hahve had problems through the years, look how long it took Tesoro to get a fix for their waterproof detectors, they sat on detectors sent in for coil repairs for well over a year. They also held a members here detector for over a year because they just forgot to mail it out.... Whites had major problems with the Beach Hunter ID and refused to admit it, telling owners they were leaking becasue the owners were not putting the battery cover on properly when replacing the batteries when infact it was a major gasket issue.......

ML may not be the best, but I have found them very easy to work with every time I have talked to them, and anyone who thinks Minelab is going out of business losing money should read their profit reports...........

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/busin...ady-profit-trend/story-e6frede3-1226171154131

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the Excal came in the mail and it is in perfect condition. Turns out it was only used three times by the original owner. I went ahead and purchased a hip kit and tall shaft on ebay for it. I installed it today and low and behold the cable is way to short for the shaft. Turns out it is only 40" long from the coil to the control box. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mine getting a larger coil installed with a longer cable. If you think you can do it please let me know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimDon said:
Well the Excal came in the mail and it is in perfect condition. Turns out it was only used three times by the original owner. I went ahead and purchased a hip kit and tall shaft on ebay for it. I installed it today and low and behold the cable is way to short for the shaft. Turns out it is only 40" long from the coil to the control box. Any suggestions? I wouldn't mine getting a larger coil installed with a longer cable. If you think you can do it please let me know.

Check with my hunting partner, he does fantasic mod work on excals, his username here is davespen.. :icon_thumright:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an original Excalibur. Any tips on what points are common trouble areas. It hasn't been used in water for like 10 years or so probably.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
CRM
I have an original Excalibur. Any tips on what points are common trouble areas. It hasn't been used in water for like 10 years or so probably.

If keep in a controlled climate, and no batteries involved...I would check out the cables for cracking. Specially the coil cable since it has been wrapped around the shaft for so long. I have noticed that the newer excaliburs {98 to present} seem to have a problem with this, causes tension on the outer part of the cable if wrapped for long periods of time. I've Not seen alot of the older grey cable ones so I can't say, other then they don't build them like they use to! And this seems to be with Excaliburs only, I would guess because of the saltwater conditions they have been exposed to. Next would be the O-Rings, they since sealed, and lubed, have a better chance of being OK, if the machine was taken care of during use around saltwater, and not exposed to harsh temp changes they should be fine. I would do a visual inspection, pulling the shrink tubing back and should be a nice contact, seal. If you need a picture..I can Post. The one's on the shaft/knobs..you almost have to trust in God on them. I would bet, all is fine if taken care of during use. Not sure how well your battery will hold up after many years of storage, but be ready........

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

Update on Garys machine..............They replaced it with a New one.............it was still under warranty..........

denison

Sep 8, 2015
Santa Catarina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030
Nokta Pointer
White's TRX Bullseye
Treasure Products Vibra Tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right, Dave and Mel Parker are the ones that can bring new life to sick excaliburs. I have just started repairing them myself, honestly, they are very easy to work on...other then the PCB/main board, everything else can be made or bought from outside vendors.

As far as the Old sword model excal, just look it over good in the sun. Some Parts can be interchange. And at a good price it would be worth just having one to hang on the wall.......think I got this one for 500 from dave..

Endcaps I'm having made...

Hello OBN, do you sell those endcaps? How can I buy some of them?

dcoliveira86

Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Envia para o brasil

If keep in a controlled climate, and no batteries involved...I would check out the cables for cracking. Specially the coil cable since it has been wrapped around the shaft for so long. I have noticed that the newer excaliburs {98 to present} seem to have a problem with this, causes tension on the outer part of the cable if wrapped for long periods of time. I've Not seen alot of the older grey cable ones so I can't say, other then they don't build them like they use to! And this seems to be with Excaliburs only, I would guess because of the saltwater conditions they have been exposed to. Next would be the O-Rings, they since sealed, and lubed, have a better chance of being OK, if the machine was taken care of during use around saltwater, and not exposed to harsh temp changes they should be fine. I would do a visual inspection, pulling the shrink tubing back and should be a nice contact, seal. If you need a picture..I can Post. The one's on the shaft/knobs..you almost have to trust in God on them. I would bet, all is fine if taken care of during use. Not sure how well your battery will hold up after many years of storage, but be ready........

Envia para o brasil as endcaps ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread