Original Peralta Stone Map Photos

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. He needs lead shielding. I think he could fit a few more effects in that rack. Maybe. I don't see a flanger Carroll.

aaaah we have another electronics person here!! Yes to run the klystron generator, you have to wear lead shielding or you will become....um... impotant...
which at my age doesn't really matter! The G5 has over 120 effects including flangers....Carrol

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaaah we have another electronics person here!! Yes to run the klystron generator, you have to wear lead shielding or you will become....um... impotant...
which at my age doesn't really matter! The G5 has over 120 effects including flangers....Carrol

Most dangerous things have a skull and bones, your contraption had the whole skeleton! I figured there was a reason for this.:laughing7:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The "coloring book story" has been around since Aug. 2002.
View attachment 1643212
View attachment 1643214

I have also had the Tumlinson version related directly to me by RG, as well as the family member who claimed she was the one who was photographed with the book, and by one other witness as well....only about a week after hearing it from the first two individuals.
The photo in question wasn't shared with me.....the reason I was given, was that I would surely claim that the horse in the coloring book did not match the one on the stone. I was also told by the lady that the stone itself was carved, not by Travis....but by an old Mexican friend of the family. Since then, RG has stated that the Mexican only carved the Spanish script on the HP stone.
But then again, hasn't he also claimed that Travis had nothing to do with the Stones at the museum that we are all familiar with.

More on this "coloring book" in another post by the same poster, S.C. (on 11/19/02 in the "LDM Mine Descriptions" thread):

Every other week I check ebay for antique coloring books. Why? A long story. But, I am looking for something. Call me a fool. But, I once saw a coloring book that had a little boy named "Bobby" - I believe - feeding a horse a carrot. It was called "Animals on the Farm" and was from the 1930s. The horse in the picture looked exaclty [sic] like the horse on one of the stone tablets. I hope to find that coloring book one day. So, that is MY unique perspective.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer,

The first reference I saw to the "coloring book" was actually attributed to Polzer in Sikorsky's "Fool's Gold"...he doesn't call it a coloring book, it's referred to as a "children's book"...I have no idea where Sikorsky obtained Polzer's statements, but they are fairly detailed and seem to be attributed to a "letter"....I have never seen the source document for this, perhaps others can help there...

I have no real interest in the stone maps myself, other than an historical curiosity, but I've always been a bit skeptical of the McGee's analysis...they seem like nice people, but some of it is a big stretch...I also believe they may have "massaged" some of their findings in the Frontier Times article:

First, their drawing....

View attachment 1646863

Never one to take anyone's word as gospel, I traced it out on the Florence map myself to see how it would turn out...shown with a pic of the actual horse head from the stones:

View attachment 1646864

Note, in the above, I traced the trails and canyons exactly as they described them in the article...Randolph Canyon, Trail, etc.

Now, here are the two horse heads overlaid on each other, at the same scale:

View attachment 1646865

While there is some similarity, I'm not convinced that the Florence Map horse head was used as a model for the stone maps.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Many of the statements made by Polzer about the tablets have been found to be incorrect, especially the identification of the cross as being 20th century design....proof? A cross was excavated at Tubac and dated to the 1600’s of exact same simple design, it was on display at their museum when I visited in 2010.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Many of the statements made by Polzer about the tablets have been found to be incorrect, especially the identification of the cross as being 20th century design....proof? A cross was excavated at Tubac and dated to the 1600’s of exact same simple design, it was on display at their museum when I visited in 2010.

As I recall, it was Tumacacori, not Tubac

two things go when you get old....memory and I can’t remember the other one :icon_scratch:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer,

The first reference I saw to the "coloring book" was actually attributed to Polzer in Sikorsky's "Fool's Gold"...he doesn't call it a coloring book, it's referred to as a "children's book"...I have no idea where Sikorsky obtained Polzer's statements, but they are fairly detailed and seem to be attributed to a "letter"....I have never seen the source document for this, perhaps others can help there...

I have no real interest in the stone maps myself, other than an historical curiosity, but I've always been a bit skeptical of the McGee's analysis...they seem like nice people, but some of it is a big stretch...I also believe they may have "massaged" some of their findings in the Frontier Times article:

First, their drawing....

View attachment 1646863

Never one to take anyone's word as gospel, I traced it out on the Florence map myself to see how it would turn out...shown with a pic of the actual horse head from the stones:

View attachment 1646864

Note, in the above, I traced the trails and canyons exactly as they described them in the article...Randolph Canyon, Trail, etc.

Now, here are the two horse heads overlaid on each other, at the same scale:

View attachment 1646865

While there is some similarity, I'm not convinced that the Florence Map horse head was used as a model for the stone maps.

Jim,

At least the McGee's gave their horse some water from QC. The real horse, meanwhile, is way up and remote, and I suspect, a bit parched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions