Original WWII (?) combat photograph, fallen Japanese soldier (?) ID?

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked this up along with the bronze duck; man’s hairstyle and facial features make me think he may be Japanese, but uniform does not look like anything the Japanese wore in WWII (that I am aware of, I may be wrong). Photo is gritty and enlarged, is an optical print on high quality (and seemingly old) photo paper. Unfortunately it has been poorly framed with the print adhering to the glass and an awful paper / cardboard combo pasted to the back of the photograph, obscuring whatever signatures or identifying marks it may have. Frame is awful too, and rusted shut, there does not seem to be a way of getting to the photo without breaking the glass and scratching or destroying the print surface.

Mainly interested in whether this is likely to be an authentic combat photo, and if so, which conflict / era. The more I look at the guys gear / clothes, the more civilian he looks, but the grittiness is the photo and odd pose makes me think it is some kind of combat photo.

Size is approximately 10x12”, if that helps anyone.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531431332.287914.jpg

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve seen that photo before, I believe it is rather famous. I’m going on a very hazy old memory here, but I believe it is a photo of a soldier in the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930’s or early 1940’s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ID indeed! Unfortunately, I think this is an unauthorized copy, as inspection under magnification reveals harsh print edges that I do not think would be seen on an original darkroom print. Probably an older copy, judging by the 70s-80s era of the frame and poor condition of the print.

Kind of odd that this particular photo would be reproduced and framed in this way... holding out hope it has some collector’s value or estate authority behind it, but I doubt I will ever be able to inspect the back :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread