πŸ₯‡ BANNER Originally posted on the "What Is It" board for an ID .. This is crazy!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me.
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.57.50 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 4.47.07 PM.jpg

Upvote 107
OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find.
Agreed.... Banner.
dunno how this snuck by me, but what an odd and awesome find! Yes many other countries copper coins were used here in early US history, shoot even all the way into the 1800s. things like the slave trade an spice trade ended up having coins from all sorts of areas make it here. I have found some weird ones like a 1802 1 duit coin, and a 1680 spanish copper cob
Thank you all! 🀠

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well maybe this from what redcoat said...https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces123160.html made of billon? had to look that up,( Billon is a mixture of silver and base metals, usually copper.)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well maybe this from what redcoat said...https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces123160.html made of billon? had to look that up,( Billon is a mixture of silver and base metals, usually copper.)

Yes. I originally said it was a Castile & Leon billon issue and thought it was most likely Henry (Enrique) III... then added that it could also be a slightly later Henry (Enrique) IV, which used essentially the same design. There really isn't enough detail to be absolutely sure, but a bit of cleaning may help:

DanMcG

Dec 29, 2022
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 300
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome find Creskol, if you decide to clean it some, please share it with us.

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. I originally said it was a Castile & Leon billon issue and thought it was most likely Henry (Enrique) III... then added that it could also be a slightly later Henry (Enrique) IV, which used essentially the same design. There really isn't enough detail to be absolutely sure, but a bit of cleaning may help:

That's an awesome find Creskol, if you decide to clean it some, please share it with us.
Thank you, Dan. I am working on cleaning it. I will post a new photo soon.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find, but, let's not go "Oak Island" crazy here. It could have been lost 50 years ago by a kid taking his Dad's coin collection to school for show and tell day. There really is no way to tell when something like that was dropped or the source for that matter.
Shame there's no actual Sherman and Mr.Peabody wabac machine because I'm sure we all love to know how that got there.

T L Kott

Sep 20, 2021
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Considering my options at this time...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying out my new Legend today and found this coin. It was identified by Red-Coat as being a 4 dinero coin of Henry III (1390-1406). Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish states). How it ended up in the fields of Central Virginia is a mystery to me. View attachment 2081482 View attachment 2081483
Outstanding find Sir. Truly unique [for America]

T L Kott

Sep 20, 2021
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Considering my options at this time...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The colonists here used all kinds of European coinage. A copper was worth... a copper, no matter where or when minted. Thats why the fields in Virginia are often full of old Spanish and other coinage seemingly unrelated to the date of initial European occupation. Its a great find, but 99.99% likely it was used or hoarded right up into the 1700s. Plus carbon dating only works on organic material.
Plus we already have a date Henry the 3rd or the 4th.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ID Red. How common is this coin in England?

Thanks.

Given the nature of trading relationships between European countries, Spanish and other coins from this period turn up from time to time. But this particular coin, although not inherently rare, is relatively obscure and would be an unusual find here.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

Given the nature of trading relationships between European countries, Spanish and other coins from this period turn up from time to time. But this particular coin, although not inherently rare, is relatively obscure and would be an unusual find here.
Agreed, not seen or heard of one coming out.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the super find! We all hope one day to find something as amazing as that! ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread