✅ SOLVED Ornate Brass Relic I Found on Historic Home Site Near Other Civil War Era Relics

Fauvist

Apr 10, 2019
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting a large home site (several acres) for a few days now, and found several hundred coins (old mason jar buried in the ground), a .69 caliber round ball unfired, and a Civil War Union Officers Sword Plate. But several feet from the sword plate I found this very interesting ornate brass relic that no one seems to be able to tell what it is. The relic is 5" in length and very strong despite the metal being so thin. It's tapered at both ends and has a small opening on each end as well. The discoloration is from where my shovel hit it (I could kick myself for doing that). Anyway, any help identifying this is most appreciated.

IMG_7802.jpg

IMG_7803.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of a sewing spindle. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's odd. I'm more interested in your mason jar full of coins, and the sword plate. Pics of those?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fauvist

Apr 10, 2019
AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd. I'm more interested in your mason jar full of coins, and the sword plate. Pics of those?

The coins were buried in a jar...but spread out in the same hole as the jar must have broken long ago. All clad, no silver, latest date was from the mid 1960's, but still a heck of a find. Took me an hour or more to find all the signals as the frost heave spread them out in a two foot radius over the years.

IMG_7760.jpg

I almost threw this out as I thought it was some roof tin...that was till I saw the eagle. Got the ol' toothbrush out and dusted her off...HOT DANG!!!

IMG_7791.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang them is the stuff of dreams!! Congrats and welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia:skullflag:

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess.
Maybe something associated with a chatelaine ?

Chatelaine.jpg

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Victorian era repoussé dip pen handle. Both ends are missing. Maybe Civil War, maybe late 19th C...

s-l1600.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread