Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out in the woods in Bel Air, MD this evening and dug a number of relics that included a small cuff button, two fired roundballs, a padlock latch with crown, W.S., and "PATENT" on it, and this copper/brass decorative piece that has holes in the top, side and base. The carving on it is extremely detailed and parts of it show the remains of gilding. My first impression was that it is a finial but I am not certain.
IMG_7844.JPGIMG_7845.JPGIMG_7847.JPGIMG_7849.JPG

From the Paul M. Ambrose Antiques webpage comes this picture of a circa 1800 sword with a pommel design similar to the piece I dug.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://www.ambroseantiques.com/swords/1796.htm

17962.jpg

[/FONT]

Last edited:
I think you're onto something with your 'sword pommel' theory McC. :thumbsup:
What you need is an expert on swords to chime in here with an I.D. on the origin of the designs on your relic.

Beautiful find,
Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very ornate and looking like a good guess. I will be watching the thread for response from those with more knowledge about these things. Nice find!

Upvote 0
I'd say you found the answer to your own question.
Great find.
Congrats

Upvote 0
Wow,thats awesome, good job

Upvote 0
I'd have to agree with your assessment McCDig!

Upvote 0
Definitely a first for me. Target was deep and scored over 30 on the Equinox 600; thought I had a large cent or old silver.

Upvote 0
Thanks Kim! Sort of an obscure find. Nice patina. From the weight I think it is brass.

Upvote 0
Thanks HuntinDog. This one got my attention. Don't hear too many high tones like that out in a former farm field.

Upvote 0
Thanks Bob! Found some nice flat buttons from this area in the last two weeks.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back