Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, Minelab E-Trac, Whites GMT, Falcon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi y'all, I'm RVing this summer through the Mother Load and it is spectacular (and cooler than Florida)! Currently doing some prospecting in the Grass Valley area then heading to Oroville in another week. To avoid spending a couple days of driving around, I am hoping someone can provide information on public land in the Oroville area where sluicing, metal detecting is allowed. Not sure what government agency to contact for maps etc as it does not appear to be BLM or National Forest land. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would need to contact the Redding BLM. Butte Creek will be the closest BLM public area to you in Oroville. Stop in and talk with Joey at Adventures in Prospeciting for the metal detecting scoop, he's downtown on Montgomery by the museum. Adventures In Prospecting Mining Suppies located in Oroville CA Oroville has a great history of gold but you need to get out and do some traveling to get to it.

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the info fowledup. Traveling is what I seem to do best:) Being from Florida, I am a "book learned" (YouTube/Internet) prospector but starting to find some color and can't believe how exciting it is.

If knowledge equalled desire, I'd be in great shape!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No offense to Oroville but if I were you I'd leave Grass Valley (fast as I could LOL) and head up hwy 49 and spend the time you alloted for Oroville up on the Yuba and the small communties like Downieville and Sierra CIty. Lot's to see and do, great camping and good gold. Lots of tourista stuff as well- Kentucky Mine, Malakoff diggins, various museums and side trips

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Already have the campground reserved (no refunds) so will poke around Oroville for a week then head up to Downieville. Since my wife doesn't prospect she will like the touristy part for sure! I was metal detecting in the Downieville area years ago and found an old ghost town site that was really neat. No structures but lots of remnants, old powder flask, dishes etc. I may see if still exists and is not on private land. Thanks again for the sage advice! Nothing better than local knowledge.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
was at Brandy City last year, north side pond fresh claim markers, but still plenty open ground to cover, bring a dry washer

Crabs

Nov 19, 2014
Folsom, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take some time to explore in and around the old ghost town of Cherokee.
A LOT of gold was taken out of those hills, but that's not all....
Diamonds.
Yup.
Spring Valley Hydraulic Mine (Spring Valley Mine; Cherokee Mine; Cherokee Hydraulic Mine; Cherokee Placer Mine), Cherokee, Cherokee District, Butte Co., California, USA
Cherokee District
Local legends have it that the entire city of Oroville is setting on top of millions of tons of ancient river bed gravel loaded with gold. It's been said that mining companies offered to pay to move the entire city so that the gravel underneath could be dredged.

Somewhere in Butte county a gold nugget weighting over 6 pounds was found last year.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/butte-nugget-one-of-largest-modern-gold-nuggets-sells-in-california/

'Crabs

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monte Cristo as I recall. It was located a short distance from Downieville. I remember driving up the mountain road and not seeing anything until the way back down when I noticed a grassy area that seemed out of place. No other visible sign. Pulled out my trusty Minelab Sovereign XS and it lit up. There were several sites east of La Porte that I wanted to find but ran out of time.

Found a nice dry creek on the Tahoe NF map today. Drove out there, got out my gear, THEN noticed it was on a claim:) Oh well, back to looking at the map......

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Crabs!! I will be sure to add those locations to my list. I would be happy to settle for a 5 pounder:)

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smithsgold! As the saying goes, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity". Maps, Google Earth, and the great folks on this forum are hopefully the keys to preparation.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The town of Cherokee is a good history stop and neat to see, however no open mining to the public anywhere close. It's all state parks, rail road, and private property. The Debeers Diamond Corporation owns the actual Cherokee mine site which they hold in reserve, there used to be a caretaker on site, if you run into him he may let you take a brief walk through the place. Good Luck.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if youre trying to pan in oroville we have the rock piles wildlife area from the old dredges (don't mess with the piles you can mine anyware on the river though), river bend , and bedrock. I've been hearing bedrock has good gold. river bend and bedrock are off of Montgomery street. traveling north on 70. when you get off the highway you'll see a cornucopia than a circle k intersection. bedrock park is on your left just past the skate park. walk down go across the bridge and hit the river. sniping is good. bidwell park is just up the street. one of the first gold discoveries in california.

local legend i've heard from several people now that helped build the dam is that when they cleaned off the hard rock to pour the dam the workers found veins of gold. they couldn't mine it because they needed the hardrock smooth and level. our lake sits on one of the largest gold loads in California. if you travel to feather falls you can see the old mine tailings on the back of the lake when crossing enterprise bridge neat stuff. from there all the way down to gridley our river is filled with gold.

also don't mind the bums chico kicked theirs out so they all came here. :(

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, precise info Claimstake! Much appreciated! Looks like you have set my course for the week. I'll be sure to let you know how things go.

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know fowledup. I may take the wife and dogs for a day trip.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
most people around here can find fine gold in their yards. super red clay dirt. my garden loves it. a couple of shops and old buildings have mine shafts with trap doors in their floors. the pioneer museum is further about a mile down Montgomery street. they got some cool stuff.

OP
OP
O

Outprospecting

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! There certainly is a lot to see and do there. I'm pretty pumped about searching the tailings you mentioned with my Garrett ATX. Bought it in AZ last year and haven't had much of a chance to use it. Folks at the RV park I'll be staying at said that panning or sluicing at their park can be productive. Thanks to your tips, I may be able to use my MD, sluice and Gold Cube!!
Thanks again Claimstake for the great intel!!
Chuck

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Which RV park you going to? (Asks the guy planning to buy a travel trailer next year...)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread