hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess would be no. Check with the authority but here OS land is protected land.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you need to clarify what "OS" zoning is before we can offer suggestions.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a little and it pretty much means:
Conserve and enhance natural or scenic resources
Protect streams or water supply
Promote conservation of soils, wetlands, beaches or tidal marshes
Enhance the value to the public of abutting or neighboring parks, forest, wildlife preserves, nature reservations or sanctuaries or other open space
Enhance recreation opportunities
Preserve historic sites
Preserve visual quality along highway, road, and street corridor or scenic vistas; or
Retain in its natural state tracts of land not less than one acre situated in an urban area and open public use on such conditions as may be reasonably required by the granting authority.

So, it can be owned by pretty much anyone.. Sorry for the dumb question. Just trying to do as much research as I can to get to "untouched" spots around historic/old cities

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no "untouched" historic grounds. Even those historic national sites were hunted back before they made it illegal, and even some after. I'm still wondering "OS" stands for.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Open space generally refers to undeveloped land or water area. Specific definitions vary by jurisdiction, so local laws should be consulted for applicable requirements. The following is an example of a local law dealing with open space land:

Open Space land is defined as either:

(1) Any land area zoned for open space by a comprehensive land use plan adopted by a city or county legislative authority, or

(2) Any land area in which the preservation in its present use would:

Conserve and enhance natural or scenic resources
Protect streams or water supply
Promote conservation of soils, wetlands, beaches or tidal marshes
Enhance the value to the public of abutting or neighboring parks, forest, wildlife preserves, nature reservations or sanctuaries or other open space
Enhance recreation opportunities
Preserve historic sites
Preserve visual quality along highway, road, and street corridor or scenic vistas; or
Retain in its natural state tracts of land not less than one acre situated in an urban area and open public use on such conditions as may be reasonably required by the granting authority."

That's what I found online. It's a park and when I went to the county's zoning site, the park was listed as "OS" or "Open Space"

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked up a couple of places to get the zoning. One park is considered to be "open space." Is it safe to say that MDing is a go??

I'd be inclined to go down to the State Forums (bottom of main page) and repost in your State's Forum. Perhaps someone in your area has had similar question and found a definite answer.

S

stefen

Each jurisdiction such as a city or county have different limitations (codes and policies) for their specific plan zones.

Open Space zoning (or any zone for that matter) in Boston MA is not the same as Los Angeles CA. or Houston TX, or Phoenix AZ, or any other jurisdiction...

To correctly answer your question you need to personally contact the agency having jurisdiction over the park and research their applicable policies.

Lastly, request a written copy of any 'No Metal Detecting Policy'.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Check with the authority .....

...Lastly, request a written copy of any 'No Metal Detecting Policy'.

HunterMF, from what you have written so far, it seems you've found a definition of your exact place. The closest that could apply is "preserving history". But heck, I bet that ANY city our county or state park's boiler-plate verbage ALWAYS has something about cultural heritage, etc... But realistically speaking, that's for protecting obvious historic sensitive monuments. If the day came when we all assumed such verbage automatically precludes md'ing, is the day we'd immediately cut off most of our detecting spots. Because I can't think of any city where if you were to walk in and ask "Hi, can I disturb and take the history please?" that they're going to tell you "sure, go ahead".

If you don't feel that the text you've found constitutes a list of rules, then do NOT do what hvacker and stefen suggest. Which is: To go waltzing into bored pencil pusher's offices talking about metal detecting. That can result in a "no". Ie.: the whimsical "safe" answer . Because maybe they think you'll harm earthworms, or leave holes, or whatever. Ie.: the old "no one cared.... UNTIL you asked" routine.

Instead , if you are skittish, find the park rules online. Or if you can't find this list, then you ask "where can I find the rules of the park listed?". Eg.: dogs on leash, no alcohol, no fireworks, blah blah. If you see nothing there that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not prohibited.

I've detected many such sites as nature preserve and OS places where the public is not prohibited from being. Never had a problem. Perhaps I didn't ask enough bored purist archies, but .... just sayin'.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the part about "Enhance recreation opportunities".:notworthy: Detecting is recreation, right?
Marvin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I like the part about "Enhance recreation opportunities".:notworthy: Detecting is recreation, right?
Marvin

Bingo. Why is it that we md'rs so often start with some sort of premise that md'ing = dangerous, damaging, horrible, etc.... ? I happen to find it harmless, educational, recreational, nutritious, etc....

Would someone stop and wonder "gee is it legal to fly a frisbee here?". Of course not. So why is it when it's md'ing, we all think we need to grovel, as if we are doing something harmful and horrible ? The average passer-by could care less I bet ! Sure, don't go waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, but ... beyond that, I think we md'rs way-over-think this most of the time.

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I'll get down to the city hall and get the info needed.

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quick story good friend goes to park in my familys town gets out medal detector. assembles medal detecter is surounded by police because report of man with machine gun is at park... luckily police unlike lady acrost the street can tell machine guns from medal detectors
dle detector

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha that's crazy! I'll have a sign on my back saying "Calm down, it's a metal detector" or "Keep calm, Detect on"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... I'll get down to the city hall and get the info needed.

Remember: You just ask: "Where can I avail myself of the rules governing park use ?". Not: "Can I metal detect?". If they ask you: "What is it that you wanted to know about?", you stick to your guns and say: " too read the publically available laws/rules that govern park use there. Eg.: dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc..."

Then once you get that , you find out for yourself if there's any true prohibition. So that you don't bump into someone's whimsical opinion or arbitrary bias, etc....

OP
OP
HunterMF

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tom! That's a great approach to take. I appreciate the advice!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
To me "OS" sounds like an unfunded boondoggle only a certified "city planner" could comprehend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread