Other Coins found by my dad

masevans

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Sydney
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OtherCoin2_B.jpg OtherCoin6_B.JPG OtherCoin7_A.JPG OtherCoin7_B.JPG OtherCoin8_B.JPG OtherCoin9_A.JPG OtherCoin9_B.JPG OtherCoin10_A.JPG OtherCoin10_B.JPG OtherCoin11_A.JPG OtherCoin8_A.JPG OtherCoin6_A.JPG OtherCoin1_A.JPG OtherCoin2_A.jpg OtherCoin1_B.JPG OtherCoin3_A.JPG OtherCoin3_B.JPG OtherCoin4_A.JPG OtherCoin4_B.JPG OtherCoin5_A.JPG OtherCoin5_B.JPG OtherCoin11_B.JPG Hi

Same again - can I get help to ID these?

Found by dad, probably Surrey farmer's fields about 20 years back

Thanks once again

Mark

OP
OP
M

masevans

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Sydney
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Mexico: Carolus (Charles) III, 8-reales coin 1776 FM (assayer's initials) should weigh 27 grams and be 90% silver. Recent retail value in VG condition is $100.
Don.......
Thank you Don
It weighs 16 grams - so no clue whether its silver or not.. How do I tell?
Surprised its from Mexico - I had originally thought Spain - there you go eh?
Mark

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going from top left;
Indian silver coin - all ready IDed
German Jetton (counting token) circa 1500-1600
Spanish 8 Reale 1776
German Jetton
French Jetton
German Jetton (with crown)
Geo II Halfpenny
Geo II Halfpenny
Reverse of German Jetton
Reverse of German Jetton
1806/07 Geo III Halfpenny
Head side of Indian Coin
1806/07 Geo III Halfpenny (reverse)
1670s Charles II 4Pence (head)
1670s Charles II 4Pence(reverse)
Reverse of Edward III circa 1344-51 halfpenny - London Mint
Head of Edward III circa 1344-51 halfpenny - London Mint
1806/07 Halfpenny (reverse)
1806/07 Halfpenny (head)
Geo II Halfpenny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

masevans

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Sydney
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going from top left;
Indian silver coin - all ready IDed
German Jetton (counting token) circa 1500-1600
Spanish 8 Reale 1776
German Jetton
French Jetton
German Jetton (with crown)
Geo II Halfpenny
Geo II Halfpenny
Reverse of German Jetton
Reverse of German Jetton
1806/07 Geo III Halfpenny
Head side of Indian Coin
1806/07 Geo III Halfpenny (reverse)
1670s Charles II 4Pence (head)
1670s Charles II 4Pence(reverse)
Reverse of Edward III circa 1344-51 halfpenny - London Mint
Head of Edward III circa 1344-51 halfpenny - London Mint
1806/07 Halfpenny (reverse)
1806/07 Halfpenny (head)
Geo II Halfpenny

Crusader - you are AMAZING!!!

Are you telling me that the little silver coin is nearly 800 years old?? I am blown away.

I found these in my dad's garage mixed up with a load of old nuts and bolts and spark plugs

Are any of these rare?

Cant wait till you tell me about the Roman ones....

Thank you SO much.

Mark

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader - you are AMAZING!!!

Are you telling me that the little silver coin is nearly 800 years old?? I am blown away.

I found these in my dad's garage mixed up with a load of old nuts and bolts and spark plugs

Are any of these rare?

Cant wait till you tell me about the Roman ones....

Thank you SO much.

Mark

My Dad will ID the Roman Coins properly pretty soon, but I can tell that they are all common types.

As for you coins above the Charles II 4Pence is considered a rare coin to find but not rare in collecting terms & is only worth about £10-£20, as is your Ed III halfpenny.
The rest are pretty common although I have never had a Spanish 8 Reale & its the most valueable of the lot at about £90.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
masevens,
The small 'o' over the large "M" designated the Mexico City mint.
If the 8-reales weighs only 16 grams, it isn't authentic; just a repo.
Don.........
Sorry missed that, shame.

Pretty good counterfiet, I thought it just had a strange ground action. That one would have caught me out on ebay (without the weight)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

masevans

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Sydney
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry missed that, shame.

Pretty good counterfiet, I thought it just had a strange ground action. That one would have caught me out on ebay (without the weight)

Hi & thanks

That's a shame (not that I want to sell it). Dad dug this out of the ground in a farmer's field, so if its a repo, maybe reproduced some years ago? Also, maybe my kitchen scales are not good enough down at low weights such as this?

Mark

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi & thanks

That's a shame (not that I want to sell it). Dad dug this out of the ground in a farmer's field, so if its a repo, maybe reproduced some years ago? Also, maybe my kitchen scales are not good enough down at low weights such as this?

Mark

Definitely try another scale or check an item which you know the weight of. Can't image it's a modern fake with toning like that.

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
No need to buy a scale--yet.
Weigh a Morgan or Peace dollar; each weighs 26.73 grams.
If your scale shows 12 grams, it's your scale.
If your scale shows about 26.5+ grams, then the problem is with the 8 reales coin.
Don.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

masevans

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Sydney
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to buy a scale--yet.
Weigh a Morgan or Peace dollar; each weighs 26.73 grams.
If your scale shows 12 grams, it's your scale.
If your scale shows about 26.5+ grams, then the problem is with the 8 reales coin.
Don.......

Ok Chaps :)

Happened to go to a jeweller today for another reason and so asked him to weight it accurately. 16.9grams

So it would seem its a copy. Cant explain why though - I know dad dug it out of the ground. Unfortunately he's no longer around to ask.

I must admit if I hold a coin of similar size (an English Crown I have), then the Crown is much heavier.

it has markings on the edge. Attached is my TERRIBLE attempt at photographing the edge. As before, if you click on the thumbnail, you get the full size pic.

Mark
(PS: not expecting this to be worth anything now - just fascinated as to why a fake should be buried in the ground)
IMG_9401.JPG

Also - on the Indian 2 Annas coin. Mine has a hole in the top centre. It looks like its there on purpose as its nice and smooth and the pattern around it seems to fit - was it minted this way?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 'corded' edge of the (alleged) 8R could have been placed on the coin to further convince the recipient that he/she was receiving a 'real' coin. But the 37+% weight difference between the standard weight (27.0674 g) and your coin's weight (16.9 g) cannot be explained away as being caused by usage--based on the well-defined visual condition of your coin.
Don.......

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Chaps :)

Happened to go to a jeweller today for another reason and so asked him to weight it accurately. 16.9grams

So it would seem its a copy. Cant explain why though - I know dad dug it out of the ground. Unfortunately he's no longer around to ask.

I must admit if I hold a coin of similar size (an English Crown I have), then the Crown is much heavier.

it has markings on the edge. Attached is my TERRIBLE attempt at photographing the edge. As before, if you click on the thumbnail, you get the full size pic.

Mark
(PS: not expecting this to be worth anything now - just fascinated as to why a fake should be buried in the ground)
View attachment 795890

Also - on the Indian 2 Annas coin. Mine has a hole in the top centre. It looks like its there on purpose as its nice and smooth and the pattern around it seems to fit - was it minted this way?

I have dug a counterfiet 8, your Dad dug it because these were in circulation at the same time as the real ones. In a way, they are rarer & more interesting than the real deal & I have to say that yours is one of the best examples I have seen.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I would agree, a in time counterfeit, proberbly with a good silver dip, over a copper base. And quite collectable I would have thought.:icon_thumleft:

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

masevans

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Sydney
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it wasn't minted with a hole; PMD to hold as a keepsake (necklace piece, for example).
357545-1554729244-l.gif

Don.....
Don

PMD?

The hole makes it even more interesting for me - it was hanging around somebody's neck...

By the way - love the photo of you and your baby. Ive got one like that (from 17 years ago - she's 18 now!)

Mark

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread