OUCH. This is not on my "who knew list" anymore.

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Never gave it thought it would have such value. I saw on of these today at value Village for $2.99. I remembered the TPS and just looked it up and this is what I saw and left behind. Working or not it seems you can make a good buck on the TPS-L2.
Sony Walkman TPS L2 Cassette Player Recorder Vintage 1979 Works Excellent RARE | eBay
Here is another with box.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-TPS-L2...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item51bf9edb69

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
In all fairness it is from 1979. I don't imagine there are too many of these floating around out there.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it's only certain Sony Walkman models that sell for that much? I see plenty of Walkman's that sell for pennies too.

PS- Didn't you go back after it?

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I guess it's only certain Sony Walkman models that sell for that much? I see plenty of Walkman's that sell for pennies too.

PS- Didn't you go back after it?
No, I will be able to this afternoon but doubt it will still be there.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
In all fairness it is from 1979. I don't imagine there are too many of these floating around out there.

True, but having done an eBay search on "Vintage Sony Walkman", then sorting highest priced first, completed listings, I see this hardly tops the list. The highest sold price was $1000, and there are pages and pages full of sold listings before you break below $100. For me, this is definitely an eye-opener.
I'll definitely look up model #'s from now on, I've bypassed lots of Walkmans without a thought.
"Don't walk by the Walkman!"

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but having done an eBay search on "Vintage Sony Walkman", then sorting highest priced first, completed listings, I see this hardly tops the list. The highest sold price was $1000, and there are pages and pages full of sold listings before you break below $100. For me, this is definitely an eye-opener.
I'll definitely look up model #'s from now on, I've bypassed lots of Walkmans without a thought.
"Don't walk by the Walkman!"
Ditto on that comment.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold one still in the blister pack for $100 last week, which was about top dollar for that particular model. I think knowing they work is key.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, from this site, I always check out Walkmans. And I still have several I need to list. Also the micro cassettes sell well.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grab the micro recorders & cassettes all the time for free & usually don't pay much attention to the walkman types but I see A LOT of them in the trash at my favorite auction house. I see tons of diskmans as well & the early ones of those are prolly going to be somewhat valuable in the future too. Tho most or a lot of walkmans I see are probably not working anymore as most I see have batteries that were left in them for maybe over 10 years. I am going to start grabbing the ones I see in the trash from now on & if they have no value or don't work I'll smash them & recover the circuit boards for scrap & toss the plastic in the trash. If it has value to eBay it will go.

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man! Thank you so much for the heads up. I think I may even have one in the attic. I know my son used to have one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread