Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In my signature, I wrote that our challenge is : Big Beach, Little Coil, Tiny Targets.

Just as an amusing exercise, I thought I'd see what that looks like in terms of square inches.

1 square mile of beach = 4,014,490,000 square inches

Standard 11 inch coil = 95 square inches

a good target = 1 square inch...maybe

Given that reality, I think it's amazing we find what we do! Of course you can reduce that beach area with careful beach reading skills but you get the point! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
In my signature, I wrote that our challenge is : Big Beach, Little Coil, Tiny Targets.

Just as an amusing exercise, I thought I'd see what that looks like in terms of square inches.

1 square mile of beach = 4,014,490,000 square inches

Standard 11 inch coil = 95 square inches

a good target = 1 square inch...maybe

Given that reality, I think it's amazing we find what we do! Of course you can reduce that beach area with careful beach reading skills but you get the point! :laughing7:
the coil "big mom"(coiltek https://www.coiltek.com.au/coils/go...erence/40-x-20-anti-interference-goldhunting/)
or the coil "big basket"(handmade) moving along the beach on wheels cover a one-time area of 500-650 square inches in one second while constantly moving steadily ... , (not pendulum !!) and to a depth of 15-25" !!!
it remains only to dig out everything .... ;) and here you will need a good Stavr scoop and a company yous friends :)

Last edited:

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Haha. You may be sanded in Colonel. Need some good beach erosion! But you are right it is easy to see how this ‘game of inches’ can play out. So like any hunting we look for places where our targets might gather, cluster or rest to improve our odds.

Plus does the coil energy stay straight under the coil (11” sweep) or does a coil transmit energy taper from the edges (less than 11” sweep?)? Crap, now I am doing it. Cheers.

Me, I am hitting the beach today to see if one area erodes more than others. Adding to my beach reading SA.

ATB

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great , now you need a calculator to TH on the beach...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting game of inches. After 2 hours on the sand I feel like I walked across the Mojave trying to look at each sand particle.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yet some thinks theres is hunted out and theres just no gold to be found. Then we also have to think........ depth how much does the average guy just pass up thats shallow? Why do i get this picture of a squirrel with a blind fold on?

6mmslayer

Aug 17, 2019
Va
Detector(s) used
Excalibur detech coil. Tesoro tiger shark, Xp deus 2, Nokta Anfibio muli, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting. I would rather be lucky than good but will be thankful for whatever goodies I can find.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Even if you shrink the size of the beach to 300 ft wide by 1 mile long ( normal for Daytona, Cocoa and St Pete) you're still looking at 19,008,000 sq inches.

Now let's say through effective beach reading skills you focus on the towel line, wet sand and shallow surf. And let's say that reduces your actual search area by 50%. You're still looking at 9,504,000 square inches compared to the 95 sq inches in your 11" coil and you're still searching for that elusive 1 sq inch target! :tongue3:

Pretty daunting eh? :laughing7:

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
Even if you shrink the size of the beach to 300 ft wide by 1 mile long ( normal for Daytona, Cocoa and St Pete) you're still looking at 19,008,000 sq inches.

Now let's say through effective beach reading skills you focus on the towel line, wet sand and shallow surf. And let's say that reduces your actual search area by 50%. You're still looking at 9,504,000 square inches compared to the 95 sq inches in your 11" coil and you're still searching for that elusive 1 sq inch target! :tongue3:

Pretty daunting eh? :laughing7:

And the next day a new crowd comes and deposits new targets, the tide comes in and out and shuffles these targets,
And You Start All Over Again.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
And the next day a new crowd comes and deposits new targets, the tide comes in and out and shuffles these targets,
And You Start All Over Again.

And that keeps the cycle of detecting life going! ��

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And It seems that I cannot avoid taking at least one of those inches of sand with me on the floor mat... no matter what I do to try and leave it.

Hmmm which brings to mind Dan...

You numbers are "off" technically... FOR... then we have "depth"... so times that end number by the inches of possibility DOWN. heh

:)

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
And It seems that I cannot avoid taking at least one of those inches of sand with me on the floor mat... no matter what I do to try and leave it.

Hmmm which brings to mind Dan...

You numbers are "off" technically... FOR... then we have "depth"... so times that end number by the inches of possibility DOWN. heh

:)

:icon_thumleft:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bring up another good point ........ TIME.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
But Then Colonel Dan’s three tones plus Fe2 settings places the odds a little more in our favor and this pops out...
241523B8-BFC2-4AB4-B38B-2215A7073E61.jpeg

Thanks Colonel Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread